Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How often do you get a cold?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 01, 2012 11:31PM

I just got one this week. I average 1-2 colds a year (usually 2). I take nothing for them, even herbs. I have done so in the past but found that they didn't make me feel better but actually slowed the detox. So I usually am flat on my back for at least two days, as this year.

It just seems like some people on SAD never get colds! But I heard that heroin addicts have perfect skin so perhaps some people are so toxic they can't get colds? And then when they finally get sick, it's something so far gone that it is very dire? I just don't know...Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How often do you get a cold?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 02, 2012 12:27PM

It just seems like some people on SAD never get colds!

Where? Where are you observing this phenomenon? Because most SADers I know are never not sniffling and aguey over something--in the winter, supposedly non-cold season, it's colds, and in the warmer months, it's allergies.

I can't recall the last time I had a cold, but when I was interning as a Montessori teacher, I had one cold after another for a year and a half from the wee tots; maybe I ran the rhinovirus gamut and will never get another cold again? smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 02, 2012 01:03PM

Its funny because when i was ill with numerous issues i.e adrenal fatigue, heavy metal toxicity, secondary hypothyroidism, poor gut flora, zinc deficiency(very important for the immune system) etc i never really ever had the cold.

Now maybe that was because i had so many symptoms and feeling poorly daily it was hard to tell what was a cold or not lol. These days i don't really ever get a cold, but i do keep my immune system tip top with medicine mushrooms and other immune system modulators.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: adrian ()
Date: February 02, 2012 01:31PM

the sad eaters i know all get colds every year, at least 1 or more. i haven't had a cold in 15 years. which i find odd...and like powerlifer, i was ill before and even then i didn't get colds. i don't know why.

Date: February 02, 2012 11:49PM

Adrian, I think there is something to my theory that some people who are really toxic will not get something as mild as a cold. When they finally get sick, it's the big time.

Powerlifer: Oh man, a cold as in no energy, sneezing constantly, nose running, fever, the works...I feel a lot better tonight but what was interesting is that I didn't get a cold in the fall (the two times I usually get a cold are late winter and fall). At that time I was studying yoga and I wonder if that actually helped prevent getting a cold!

Date: February 03, 2012 05:09PM

banana who,

Maybe this was the last push for the rhinovirus in your body, and you'll never have another cold ever again! smiling smiley

Date: February 03, 2012 11:55PM

Tam, that would be nice, LOL. I wonder sometimes if the other people getting flu shots are shedding it onto me? I was at an elementary school today and the teacher was blowing his nose.

Since I have been upping my raw, I notice that my colds are lessening in duration and even intensity (although for about two days it was a doozie).

Date: February 04, 2012 10:20AM

If unbearable a good herb is Andrographis which has shown in studies to reduce the duration and intensity of cold and flu. Andrographis has potent anti-viral and immuno modulating properties. Most people use the wrong herbs which is why they often feel no better i.e echinacea.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: February 04, 2012 01:38PM

Hah! I just bought some andrographis--I'm ahead of the curve!

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: February 04, 2012 05:11PM

I used to embalm sharks, star fish for bio studys. We would sell specimens to schools. I one time put the neddle through the star fish and injected a small amount of PHEMALDEHYDE into my hand, I thought It would kill me kinda freaked,
told the boss what happened, he laughed and said he wish he had a dime for every time he injected. then said to me you will not get a cold this winter.
I think it was more like three years before my next cold. on average one a year for me now. Sad foods,and their chems kill everything good and bad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 05:14PM by riverhousebill.

Date: February 05, 2012 10:27AM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hah! I just bought some andrographis--I'm ahead
> of the curve!

Haha nice one, andrographis is a really great herb and if you have the powder it is a potent bitter, so good for digestion and cleansing the liver.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 05, 2012 03:06PM

All I can find listed at the local health food store is an immune booster with andrographis as an ingredient. I'd like to try it though. You'd think living with the kids going to The Germ Factory (aka school) every day we'd be sick all the time but it's a fraction of what other families go through. Maybe twice a year somebody gets a cold and passes it along to the rest of the house. It doesn't last though, generally over quite quickly. I have some goldenseal tincture and oil of oregano I'll take now and then. Raw garlic and ginger tea too.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 05, 2012 07:51PM

i get a spring and autumn cold everyear .. no matter what i do the germy people around me seem to find a way to infect me with the plague grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 06, 2012 10:12PM

That makes me feel better, Jodi! You're high-raw, right? I know you probably eat very well...

Date: February 07, 2012 12:52AM

Isn't if funny it's twice yearly and spring and fall for so many people? Maybe it's allergies...

Date: February 08, 2012 08:24PM

I think vitamin D deficiency plays a major role in the weakening of the immune system for many.

As the colder months come in so does lack of good sunlight and thus lower vitamin D levels.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: February 08, 2012 09:00PM

We're taking a d supplement, it's been very sunny here all winter so far though.

Now I want to know what's with the extreme exhaustion I feel every day right about now (4pm). I'll be fine in half an hour but oh man, everyday at this time I am just WHIPPED!

Date: February 09, 2012 10:35AM

Could be your adrenal glands, how are your energy levels the rest of the day especially the first half ?.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: February 09, 2012 01:19PM

Wake so flipping tired, oh man. I'm ok until about 4 and then I'm ok again at 5 until 8 but I'm busy putting kids to bed and getting ready for the next day, by the time I'm finished I'm wide awake!
I'm following so many of your suggestions for adrenal support. Right now I'm cycling siberian ginseng and fo-ti with a chaga blend. I'm taking b12 and d3, I've got a good vegetarian whole food iron, lots of efa's. Sigh. I need to sleep for a week with a green juice IV in, then I'd be fine. LOL.

Date: February 10, 2012 12:56PM

Haha, the key can be taking the adaptogens at the correct time for your adrenal circadian rhythms, which can take abit of trial and error unless you do a saliva test and even then they are largely inaccurate in my opinion.

You might be better off starting your day with an adaptogen if you haven't already, kick start your adrenal glands.

It does sound like the adrenal glands, you sound very similar to how i was. Wake up not only tired but feeling weird, although i would get going then dip again shortly after waking up. Tail end of 3pm till 4-5 i would dip again and feel awful, very low cortisol from the symptoms then the rest of the night i would have a burst of energy. At 12pm at night i would be wanting to go for a walk/do exercise etc.

Although as adrenal fatigue progresses you can end up fatigued the whole day. I remember you saying about the constant low iron, that may contribute to some of your fatigue. I found a concentrated vitamin C source first thing in the morning a massive help when i was going through adrenal fatigue, amla or acerola cherry extract or both if possible. Acerola cherry extract has about 250mg of vitamin C per serving so helpful wholefood concentrated vitamin C source.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: February 10, 2012 03:02PM

Hm, I could add some C in the AM. I do rounds of ashwaghanda and the other stuff between. The ginseng and chaga, I have licorice to take after these are done.

Date: February 10, 2012 03:58PM

Zinc is also severely underlooked when it comes to its role in adrenal gland dysfunction. Zinc is needed for the production of adrenal hormones and can be low in vegetarian/vegan diets. Infact there is thought that Zinc deficiency is quite wide spread even in meat eaters who happen to consume foods such as meat/seafood which are Zinc rich.

Zinc was probably the most important root cause of my adrenal fatigue and heavy metal poisoning.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: February 10, 2012 07:06PM

Ha-ha! Have a cold today! Working with sniffly little children in daycare these days, and they got me, they got me! Hope the two papayas, two mangoes and the cup and a half of homemade sauerkraut I had for lunch help.

banana who: my rhinovirus-no-more theory has gone out the frosty window, aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh! smiling smiley

Date: February 10, 2012 07:51PM

The girl has a frog in her throat, she's getting some Manuka.
We do get some zinc foods but I could add more.

Date: February 10, 2012 09:34PM

Tam, I didn't know you worked in daycare. I was just in a preschool this morning and half the class was out because of something going around. Even one of the teachers had a cold but was working. I was supposed to have done this activity last week but I had my cold then!

I think the moral to this story is that even raw-fooders can get colds and that doesn't mean their health is not generally very good. smiling smiley

Date: February 11, 2012 12:39AM

banana who,

I totally forgot what adorable, lisping, lovable germ warfare agents lil' nippers are smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables