Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blood vessels popping randomly in the hands?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 09, 2012 04:25AM

Does anyone know what's up with this?!

I had the worst thing happen yesterday in my finger... It felt like something STUNG my finger, and I looked down to see a blood vessel had popped. It burned like crazy for about five minutes, eventually bruised, and was mostly healed today.

I experienced this afternoon something in my pinky where it started to burn, and a tiny vein got dark, but it didn't seem to explode the way the first vein did, and it's better now.

A quick Google investigation revealed two major potential causes as:

-low vitamin C
-low in bioflavonoids

"Aneurysm" is not on my TO DO list, so I am a bit concerned.

But, personally, if *I* don't get enough Vitamin C and bioflavonoids, eating completely raw and mostly organic vegan with superfoods... I think we're all doomed?? And, on a serious note, I have no easily detectable deficiencies, thanks to recent blood work.

Any thoughts?

The current medical take also seems to be, "We have no idea what causes this, but don't worry, it's safe." So, it's potentially benign, but extremely unnerving. O.o

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blood vessels popping randomly in the hands?
Date: March 09, 2012 06:26AM

Not sure if this is connected, BUT, I started drinking dandelion root tea (yum!). It is a blood thinner. I don't know how drastic of a blood thinner, but apparently blood thinners make bruises happen more easily?? Sounds more logical than lack of bioflavonoids. angry smiley

Edit: and FURTHER digging reveals more interesting herbal knowledge!

[www.ehow.com]

I've also been MADLY binging on ginger, drinking lots of tea, grating it in salad, chopping it into dips and curries... maybe adding the dandelion was too much?

Hmmm... in any case, neat to know. Plus, there are lots of people who would rather take an herbal blood thinner than a nasty drug. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 06:36AM by phantom.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:10PM

Ginger would more likely be the problem than dandelion root if it was a blood thinning issue as Ginger has potent blood thinning properties.

I would go to a doctor if you are worried, always better safe than sorry.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:56PM

phantom,

I assume, as you seem to have, that the culprit is one of the herbs you've been consuming in great quantity. They are medicinal, and their actions on a body that doesn't necessarily require them for healing may be what you are experiencing. Hopefully, that makes your condition easily corrected. Good luck!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 11, 2012 04:47PM

It could also be a sign that the detoxing of toxins, calcium, heavy metals has reached to the outer extremities and is taxing the return blood system in that regard. I don't know..just thought I'd throw that out.

I was taking grams of magnesium for about a year and it helped to relieve and clean up most of my finger joints that had made them look lumpy and swollen and they were sore. I have my baby fingers still to clean up but my diet hasn't been as high raw and I haven't been taking the grams of magnesium.

I also like burdock root tincture (or if you can get fresh to juice) to clean out the uric acid levels.

I've popped a blood vessel before in my finger and it was more likely due to an injury and I remember it hurt and then it was itchy and it was very purple for a few days.

I've been second guessing myself about posting about anything lately...most often I'll write something then never post it. There's been a lot of contention lately and I prefer staying out of it. I like the posts where we have positive diverse opinions and you take what you want and leave the rest.

Oh and I've juiced dandelion greens many times and never had a problem.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 12, 2012 06:26AM

Prism, I love your posts and find them so informative! Don't ever have doubts! smiling smiley

I quit the ginger and dandelion root tea, and haven't experienced anything since (it's been a few days now). It may have just been the combination of EVERYTHING, I was steeping 2-3 inches of ginger in tea every day for a good month, plus adding it to salads and everything else I could imagine. I was also eating lots of fresh turmeric root, which I've never done before; while it's not a blood thinner, it is extremely detoxing.

Then, I had a big cup of the dandelion root... and half a day later, I had the first pop. I drank more tea the next day, and also had another pop, and lots of itching in my fingers.

I quit all the herbs and my hands are definitely back to normal.

It's such a drag, they're all so tasty... I just have to not overdo it on multiple things every day for weeks at a time (hum, the story of my life?).

I will remain vigilant! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 13, 2012 01:49PM

Turmeric root actually does have blood thinning properties so it could have been the combination of the high doses of ginger and turmeric.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 13, 2012 04:53PM

What would the reason be for herbs that may be blood thinners cause veins to pop? Just asking.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 13, 2012 08:30PM

Blood thinners in excess can cause bruising... and when I read about bruising, it made me start to think about the herbs I was taking. It's the only other explanation I could find that made sense, besides no explanation, or lack of vitamin C and bioflavonoids.

Posted by: danevas ()
Date: September 04, 2012 01:52AM

I have had finger blood vessel popping for years. Been to a number of doctors who all told me it is benign. I have found a group on the web with similar symptoms of finger blood vessels bursting. We seem to have nothing else in common other then finger blood vessels bursting spontaneously. It is not an aneurysm.

At first I get itching. Then I look and examine the itching site and a purple blood vessel area seems to be spreading. I hold my hand above the level of my heart compressing it and soon the itching changes to pain and cramping and the area of blood vessel bursting spreads. It takes about 3-4 days for this to reabsorb. I take chamomile tea at night, a potent blood thinner, A more potent one is chrysanthemum tea. Chrysanthemum is the source for commercial blood thinners. Let me know if any have luck in preventing this or discovering its cause. I even went to a vascular surgeon to find its cause. I take vitamin E tablet. I think this helps prevent it from re-occurring.

Posted by: danevas ()
Date: September 04, 2012 01:59AM

I just found this on the web. [www.simple-remedies.com] "It is a skin condition NOT a vascular condition. This is called finger hematoma or Achenbach’s syndrome."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables