Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

24 hour water fasting
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:05AM

is it cheating if you start the fast in the evening and break it the following evening? so you would be asleep during 8 hours of it (or so)

youre not getting any water during that time, so is it not an ideal way to water fast for 24 hours?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 24 hour water fasting
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 20, 2012 06:32AM

Sometimes I prefer to fast that way!

As long as you are sufficiently hydrated before you sleep, and hydrate yourself when you wake in the morning, you should be fine.

Fasting or not, I always sleep with a cup of water by my bed, and usually enjoy a few 4am sips.

And also, don't do anything crazy, like run a marathon. Take it easy and enjoy some nature time, or read an inspiring book.

... or (my #1 fasting activity) make food for the next day. smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 20, 2012 03:08PM

Even if you're sleeping, it counts--your body doesn't leave your bedroom to get water!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: April 14, 2012 09:31AM

Since it's 24 hours sleep will be involved either way, but i think it is better to start and finish in the morning - this way your body has a bit longer time to rest (because technically the fasting will include the previous night).

My personal way to cope with 24 hours fasting is to pick the busiest day of the week - when you are constantly on the go/going something etc - in other words when you don't have time to stop and think "I'm hungry!"

Personally I don't worry about the level of my activities at all during the fasting day, because if anything I feel I have more energy to do things, not less. smiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 15, 2012 04:11PM

Chat, do you think that fasting gives one more energy (short fasts) due to the fact our body is not taking energy to fuel digestion and we are using stored fats to burn for fuel for things like repair and rebuilding?

I am feeling like doing a few 1 day fasts once the weather is consistently warmer. I used to do 3 days fasts but I am wondering if the 24 hour fasts might be much better in the long run.

It would be nice to have a forum for fasting and experiences on fasts. If anyone wants to do a 24 hour fast we could make a thread for each one we do.

Fruitylou you could start the first one, and I'll join in. When are you thinking of doing your first 24 hours fast?

Love,
Prism

Date: April 15, 2012 08:44PM

Prism, i think it is possible that the energy there is because the body is given a little bit of rest, but also perhaps because psychologically we tend to feel "light" and "free" on the day, without the food in our bellies. It sounds silly but i don't know how else to describe itsmiling smiley

I am not 100% raw, more like 70-80% at the moment. When I started 24hrs fasts, I was about 40% raw (this is the way i was brought up). Because of the not-so ideal diet I have been doing 24hrs regularly, once a week. (And 10 days about twice a year.)

But now since my diet has improved a little bit I wonder whether such regular fasts are still needed. What are your thoughts (and perhaps other members') on this point, as more experienced raw foodists?

Date: April 15, 2012 08:52PM

P.s. regarding 3 days fast - I did it once, when i first started fasting, as a way of mental preparation to my first 10 days fast (basically I wanted to know how it would feel like).

But then I decided to simply continue with regular 24hrs fasts, and do 10 days couple of times a year - the 3 days just didn't seem needed with such routine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2012 08:53PM by chat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables