Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I *want* to believe in homeopathy but I just... don't.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2012 02:46PM

It's got no basis in anything at all. One drop of active ingredient diluted in the amount of water that equals all the oceans of the world... come on now. Even the most toxic poison would be completely harmless at that ratio. I mean, the placebo effect is valid, sure, but that can be had for far less than the thousands of dollars a round of homeopathic treatment runs for.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I *want* to believe in homeopathy but I just... don't.
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 13, 2012 03:23PM

I have always maintained that it exists at the level of quantum physics, and, as most people--including doctors--do not know quantum physics, it doesn't make sense. I have used homeopathics convinced that they would not work because the precepts are bunk. When the homeopathics ended up working as promised, I had the choice to either disbelieve my body's responses; psychologically unhealthy, that, or assume that the science behind homeopathy, though presently unproven, will eventually be proven and seen to be rational.

I always try to remember that there are tribes in the Amazon that still think gravity is magic.

Date: April 13, 2012 03:25PM

I have used them as well, and I do like having the choice to use them if I wish to. I just don't have a lot of faith in their ability do deal with serious illness. If it's not going to hurt anything to try, fine, but for something dire? Erm. No. Especially not at that cost. Why are the remedies SO expensive when there's really Nothing in them?

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 13, 2012 06:21PM

Coco, other people may feel "attacked"

Some times people try to make other people believe so that they can believe themselves.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 13, 2012 07:07PM

From the studies i have read homeopathy is no better than placebo. Now placebo is a massive area in itself.

But for now there are much more proven options for me to ever care about researching into homeopathy. It annoys me because from what ive heard homeopathy is available for some as an alternative therapy via the NHS. But proven herbs and other remedies aren't. You have people who could really benefit from herbs such as milk thistle which are well proven for their hepatprotective properties and speeding up regeneration of liver cells and so on but they are un-used. Although European doctors are more open minded to herbs ive heard.

Its almost like they pick the most unproven option to make alternative medicine look worse lol.

[www.amlaberry.co.uk]

Date: April 14, 2012 01:38PM

powerlifer,

You are upset that homeopathy is favored over herbal remedies in socialized health services: cry me a river! At least your medicos have heard of milk thistle! Ours are over here pushing pills on everyone, unless they're Dr. Oz, in which case they're pushing something called "raspberry ketones," LOL!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 14, 2012 05:43PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> powerlifer,
>
> You are upset that homeopathy is favored over
> herbal remedies in socialized health services:
> cry me a river! At least your medicos have heard
> of milk thistle! Ours are over here pushing pills
> on everyone, unless they're Dr. Oz, in which case
> they're pushing something called "raspberry
> ketones," LOL!

Sorry if i made that out like they were more open minded here because there not, here they are just as heavy handed as the US in pushing pills. In most cases go in with a sore stomach and you'll come out with proton pump inhibitors and anti-depressants in the same day.

Here they are just sporadically random, adding crap in like homeopathy now and again and various silly expensive initiatives.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: April 15, 2012 10:57AM

powerlifer,

I was teasing you a bit! It's obvious to most people that the NHS, even with its problems, is an improvement over what we have here.

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 15, 2012 10:58PM

I use the remedies & they have worked for me. I really don't believe it is the placebo effect, here's why; I rarely believe in any "hocus pocus"pill, powder, or concoction to work for me. So, I approached homeopathy the same way.

However, when I took them for specific symptoms, my symptoms cleared up. Nux Vomica is one that comes to mind. I used to suffer from irratibility & stomach upsets frequently.

Taking three Nux, even the "X" doses would put out my stomach fire in no time flat. In a minute or two I would experience relief. Can't explain it, but it worked in my case.

I have yet to find a remedy that will attack migrane headaches though. sad smiley
Still looking for that one.

Date: April 15, 2012 11:52PM

The only remedy I have found for migraine relief is Tylenol 3. It's either that or a trip to the hospital for intervenous maxeran. Thankfully I get them rarely. My trigger is barometric pressure, not much I can do about that either.

Date: April 16, 2012 12:41AM

veganjuice,

Was it somewhere on here that I read a thread recently talking about or linking to a raw foodist's account of clearing up her migraines by eating three large meals a day instead of grazing all day?

Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:44AM

A friend of mine has been using Willow Bark (herb) for migrane relief & she has had success with it.

I am sort of sensitive to certain compounds, so I am reluctant to try it. Sounds like you suffer bad from them. Have you thought of trying Willow Bark?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2012 12:45AM by veganjuice.

Date: April 16, 2012 12:50AM

Aspirin is a concentrated form of willow bark (or salacin which is present in the white living pith of quite a few trees, I know how to make it fresh actually). Neither the natural forms nor the concentrated extra strength synthetic version can touch a true migraine for me. I go blind and puke uncontrollably, it's a horror show.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 16, 2012 10:33AM

I 'want' to believe in homeopathy too but it has never made any difference to me when I've used it.

Regarding price - it's about the same price here to visit a homeopath as it is to see any other alternative practitioner.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 17, 2012 08:17AM

I've always had amazing experiences with homeopathy. It was what I first tried after abandoning the "allopathic way."

Recently I had a nasty UTI?/bladder?/yeast? infection. I had a kidney infection ONCE when I was sixteen and it was traumatizing. I thought, for signs of legitimate infection, and despite my happy, lovey history with homeopathy concerning lesser afflictions, I didn't want to screw around. Fasting hadn't helped. It was time to turn to plant alkaloids. >8)

I saw a Chinese doctor instead. She prescribed me a humungous sack of mushrooms (ever read about the alkaloids in some of the most commonly used herbs, like halifuginone?) with some weird branches and ground up seashells. I brewed it on the stove for an hour, reduced it to a thick black sludge, and savored the taste of burnt tires for six days.

I also got a body wash to brew, with camphor, more roots and mushrooms...

I had to take this for six days.

The day I was done, I ate some terribly spicy food. That night, I had some horrifying stomach cramps that wouldn't go away. My period was also late... and because it was late at night... I went to the ER to make sure I didn't have a kidney infection or wasn't pregnant. Total panic.

This was when I got my bloodwork done (since nothing else was wrong, they ran a huge slew of tests). Aside from deficiencies, they tested all kinds of cell counts in my liver, kidney, searched up and down for any kind of disease... and I got the CLEANEST bill of health. Not a trace of infection anywhere, and before I had taken the herbs from the Chinese doctor, I was really at the mercy of this infection.

So I had allopathic confirmation that these herbs totally cleaned my body at the deepest level. I would go back to that doctor for anything if I ever really felt like I needed to "take something" for being sick again. No. Antibiotics. Necessary.

I guess the stomach cramps were from the spicy food, but they came at a very bad time.

My visit to the Chinese doctor cost $45, which was actually steep because of the double prescription (internal and external). Here, that would be the price of two homeopathic remedies from the store, and doesn't even count the cost of a homeopathic doctor ($100-200).

I just thought I'd share, since I found Chinese medicine to be a COMPLETELY viable option in times of doubting the amazing plant-based path.

The only possible downside: everything *I* received was vegan, but the lady who recommended her doctor to me received a sack of goodies that did contain ladybug shells. (She went originally for some infected skin rash not responding to any other kind of treatment, again, which cleared up after about a week of Chinese medicine.)

I'd love to go maybe twice a year just to get a sack of strange things to cook for a tune-up... mushrooms are SO powerful, and god only knows the medicinal synergies that happen when you cook up a stew of such epic proportions.

Date: April 17, 2012 01:03PM

But... TCM is not homeopathy ?? Completely different modalities. I agree that herbs are powerful, I take them for all sorts of things. I also take arnica tincture and use traumeel cream but that's as far as I go with homeopathics. The super dilluted stuff, the sugar pills, I have not had any miracle cures with those.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 17, 2012 06:41PM

I know they are completely different, I was just suggesting TCM as another nice and very affordable alternative treatment, that does seem to have a bit more of science easily understood behind it.

Homeopathy is nice, but I'm not even sure I believe it enough to bet an infection on it. TCM, I'd bet on it any day for that. smiling smiley

Date: April 17, 2012 06:46PM

Ah, I gotcha. I agree that herbs are very efficient for dealing with illness, infection included.
I actually studied TCM for a bit along with a shiatsu course I took years ago. I didn't love the presentation, all that cold, damp liver chi business made it very difficult for a native English speaker to put it into a context that works with visualization to aid healing, or even to understand what it means. My youngest sister is studying it now in Nelson though, I might hit her up for treatment while I'm there. That should be fun!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 25, 2012 02:19AM

I used one called Ignatia Amara for years.12x
I swear it helped my emotions.

Vinny

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 22, 2012 12:06AM

I've used homeopathics for years and I know of some that work.

Here's a good explanation --

[www.jcrows.com]

One thing I would caution is don't use a nosode.

[www.homeopathicremediesandtreatment.com]

I used a Lyme nosode with the deer tick in it and now have a side effect and I gave my daughter a flu nosode which contained the actual flu, and may have messed her up. Although that was a couple years ago and she hasn't gotten the flu since. They only have a 'shadow' of the substance, but they do affect you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables