Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bamboo Water Bottle! Very cool!
Posted by: veganjuice ()
Date: April 15, 2012 10:02PM

This is the first time I have seen these. They use a glass liner. I am thinking of purchasing a few of them. Anyone here use one?

[livesuperfoods.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Water Bottle! Very cool!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 15, 2012 10:06PM

Looks interesting but I would hesitate to purchase until I knew details about the plastic used in the lid portion as that will be touching the drink inside the bottle. They say what the plastic is Not but neglect to talk about what it actually Is. I'd message them to ask but that's just me. Our Klean Kanteen type bottles have stainless steel lids, at least the part that touches the water inside.

Date: April 15, 2012 10:25PM

They say it is BPA free in the write up about them. The bamboo straws on that site are pretty cool too.

As far as the Klean Kanteen...I have three of them & I don't care what anyone says, I can taste the metal when I drink from them. sad smiley I have different caps too, so my mouth doesn't actually touch the metal container.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 15, 2012 10:27PM

Seems OK. I am very irritated by the runaway trend that is bamboo; elsewhere in Asia, old and fragile tropical habitat is being clear cut for artificially planted bamboo crops. All kinds of wildlife is dispossessed or slaughtered to make way for these plantations to fill this latest mania of the west. Even though it's the Chinese government that determines where the bamboo for this water bottle is harvested from, I think it unlikely they would endanger their pandas, etc. for bamboo. The glass and plastic parts are as safe as possible, so that's a plus smiling smiley

Date: April 15, 2012 10:42PM

Well, I don't know about the clear cutting issue, but I do know that bamboo is a "runaway" grass that will multiply like mad and overtake everything in its path.

The alternative would be to let it stand I guess, and when storms come through the area it gets all broken up and smashed over.

Not to turn this into an ecological thread (any more than what it already is) but I am personally for "people over animals".

I simply wanted to discuss the merits of the water bottle, not have a discusson on the ills of the planet & how destructive us humans are. winking smiley

I'll let it go at that.

Date: April 15, 2012 11:50PM

Thanks Tam, that is certainly something I would consider when making a purchase like this.
And BPA is hardly the only plastic that can be harmful. BPA-free does not mean high quality plastic I would want touching my food and drink. I like to know what it is, not simply what it is not.
Our Kanteens taste of nothing and we've had them for years. I am ridiculously sensitive to taste and smell as well. So far so good.

Date: April 16, 2012 12:19AM

coco,

That's true about plastics, but at least it isn't type 7, which is the worst. The steel manufactured for food use is pretty stable, so that's why you probably detect no flavor from your Kleen Kanteens. Plastic is so very unstable; I am dying to replace my polycarbonates with something else . . .

veganjuice,

Please be aware that, though you are not, most people here are at least somewhat eco-conscious, and that's why I described how some bamboo "farming" is done. You know, for general FYI.

Date: April 16, 2012 12:39AM

Tamukha,

I am hardly non eco-conscious. I abhor what is being done to this planet. What I am referring to is the elevation of animals over people. I'm not on board with that line of thinking, plus I really don't see the need to discuss that in this thread.

I simply had questions about the bottle, nothing more/nothing less. There is land raping being done at an alarming rate, as well as poisioning our water & air, but please kindly discuss that in an appropiate thread, instead of hijacking mine. (No offense, I just like to speak my mind) You know...

Date: April 16, 2012 12:46AM

Uh... there are other people reading the threads here who would actually be interested in the details of a product like this one (like me. I would likely choose another product armed with this knowledge). So if that isn't the info you're after, why post the question on this forum? Goodness. Know your audience and all that. Whatever this personal ax to grind is, the animals vs human whatever-that-is, it's probably not appropriate for a vegan forum.

Date: April 16, 2012 12:50AM

veganjuice,

This is not what threadjacking looks like. I would not have mentioned that there are different sources of bamboo and that some are not eco-friendly--which others here would be interested to know--had I not thought it pertinent. The bottle is clad in bamboo and the manufacturer thinks its origins are important enough to their buyer demographic to mention on their website, so I supposed you might, too. In any case, the general import of my post answers your OP question.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 16, 2012 12:47PM

wow - Veganjuice - you certainly got out of bed on the wrong side - i suggest you go back and try again - jeez

Date: April 16, 2012 09:08PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow - Veganjuice - you certainly got out of bed on
> the wrong side - i suggest you go back and try
> again - jeez

Nope - nothing like that.

It is in response to Tamukha's posts which are serving to skew the original topic/question off course and nothing more than that.

Just because I didn't want to discuss the bamboo clear cutting I was automatically labeled a "planet hater". Interesting thought process.

As a casual observer, it seems that many threads on here turn into an eco-babble discussion. I thought the name of this forum is "Living and Raw Foods", not "Save the Planet".

I know, they are interconnected in some ways but I am growing weary of all threads pointing in the same direction - as in, us humans are evil, save the Pandas & Whales, etc.

BTW, Tamukha -

I did read in a post somewhere on here that you consume honey. Have you no moral regard for the poor bees who are smoked out of their homes and wake up on the ground (most likely) with a pounding headache several hours later? I guess since they aren't as "cute" as a cuddly Panda it doesn't tug at the heart strings quite so much.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 16, 2012 09:29PM

I don't see how you can seperate people and their health from the environment.
Everything we eat has to grow and and so therefore it stands to reason that we must be concerned about the health of the planet.

I personally care deeply about animal welfare but I know that many people are vegan purely for the sake of their own health. However I don't think Tam was hijacking the thread at all - all threads grow as they go along. Would you say that Coco hijacked the thread because she started talking about the plastic in the lid? It would seem that you only mind because animals were brought into the thread.

It would be very diificult to go anywhere with your post on this basis - the only thing anyone could say is 'Yes I do use one' or 'No I don't use one'. Not very interesting.

Date: April 16, 2012 09:41PM

Jan, Tam, self, this is patently trollish behavior. Let us not feed into it, yes?

Date: April 16, 2012 10:36PM

coco Wrote:
> Jan, Tam, self, this is patently trollish
> behavior. Let us not feed into it, yes?

coco, I have no issue with you at all, but thanks ever so much for accusing me of being a troll - whatever. Oh and by the way, not sure which kleen kanteen bottles you have, but mine have a plastic screw in lid that touches the liquid inside.

flipperjan, the point that coco raised about the bpa in the plastic is a valid one, and I appreciate that. That is the type of discussion I was after. Wanting to know if anyone here has used this bottle, any gripes with it, such as does it leak at the lid, poor quality workmanship, stuff like that.

I wanted to know these things before I plunked down $25 on something that I didn't have any experience with. I wasted good money on the kleen kanteens as mentioned previously, as I can taste the metal. And, the lid leaks on it to boot. sad smiley

They sent me a replacement lid but it still leaked if the bottle is lying on its side.

Talking about people and their health and the environment, I've no qualms about that. But there is a proper time & place in an appropriate thread for those discussions - not every thread about this or that product.

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: April 16, 2012 11:00PM

Tamukha Wrote:
All kinds of
> wildlife is dispossessed or slaughtered to make
> way for these plantations

Save the Wildlife; Kill the Babies

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables