Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Migraine, anything natural strong enough to help?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 25, 2012 03:08PM

Dang it. I can feel it coming on, the pain and nausea...
It's certainly stress related so I'm going to go lay down for a while but is there anything natural that anybody has had success with?
Good grief, this is dreadful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Migraine, anything natural strong enough to help?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 25, 2012 03:22PM

Have you ever tried the natural aspirin from white willow bark?

I was just discussing caffeine (since I recently quit caffeine) with a friend and she said that when she takes caffeine it always helped her migraine headaches.

I wonder if caffeine helps because it restricts the blood flow to the brain (or lessons the blood volume in the brain) and thereby lessons the pressure due to inflammation?

Since I just went off caffeine about a week ago, I'm hesitant to recommend it..but wouldn't it be like any other herbal remedy? Anyway..you could try a 1/2 cup of coffee maybe or maybe a cup or 2 of green tea.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 25, 2012 05:16PM

Tylenol and advil together. Still not 100% but not throwing up or blind so that's something.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 25, 2012 07:43PM

Prism, I have heard that when some people get "relief" from caffeine it's because they are addicted to it, went off for the weekend (like they use it just before work) and always happen to get headaches, which is the detox. It's like hair of the dog.

Date: April 25, 2012 09:13PM

Most codeine medication (which works well for migraine if you can keep it down) comes in tandem with caffeine because they both relieve that sort of headache pain. I have heard about people taking caffeine for headache and have tried it myself but the migraines I've gotten in the past have been industrial strength. At their height I needed intervenous drugs at the hospital. It's been years since I suffered at that level though, T3 or sometimes tylenol and advil together with rest in a dark room and shutting off the brain seem to alleviate it for me these days. The occurance is very rare now though, thank Maude.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 26, 2012 01:25AM

Sorry this is happening, coconuts. My mom suffered from migraines monthly until premenopause, at which point they just stopped. Not even regular headaches unless she'd slept in an odd position. So there's that to look forward to smiling smiley Have you tried the advice about eating three squares? Anything else dietary that could be causing it? Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you; you are so much smarter about this stuff than I . . . well, what to tell you except I hope this one is the last one and that you feel much better soon smiling smiley

Date: April 26, 2012 01:27AM

Date: April 26, 2012 03:12AM

Ginger, apple, celery, carrot juice, I can do that! Thanks Tam smiling smiley.

Date: April 26, 2012 01:03PM

Hope you are feeling better, dear!

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: April 27, 2012 12:18AM

Sip of black coffee, apple cidar vinegar in water, eat an apple - chewing thoroughly.

Date: April 27, 2012 01:31PM

I really can't imagine drinking coffee, vinegar or eating an apple when I'm in that state. Really, the nausea, I'd only start violently vomitting. Some watered down juice at room temperature sipped slowly, maybe...

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 06, 2012 08:14PM

Hi coco,

Here are some articles in my file on Headaches, Migraines, etc.:

Hunger VS Appetite or Cravings...
re: migraines
positive results eating "three squares" as opposed to "grazing"
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Hypnosis Benefits Migraines
[www.naturalnews.com]

Acupuncture Helps Chronic Headache Sufferers-Study
[story.news.yahoo.com]

Can Cayenne Peppers Really Cure a Headache?
[articles.mercola.com]

TOTAL HEALTH Newsletter - Special Issue No. 7B
HEADACHE - MIGRAINE:
[healingtools.tripod.com]

Why Migraines Strike
[articles.mercola.com]

Seven Techniques for Overcoming Migraine Headaches
[www.naturalnews.com]

Cluster Headache Treatment with Psilocybin Mushrooms & LSD
[www.erowid.org]

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: lacey4595 ()
Date: July 01, 2012 10:49AM

Hello there. I am a long time chronic migraine sufferer. I've made many trips to the ER before being prescribed Maxalt which I usually have to take along with 2 ibuprofen and an asprin/aleve. YUCK!

I've recently done a lot of research on feverfew after a friend recommended it that has been using it for years due to chronic migraines, and have started taking it daily to hopefully rid myself of these headaches, or at least lessen the effects and intensity.

You cannot take it with any other OTC pain relievers however and it takes 1-2 weeks before the effects "kick in" so there is a tricky time period. Something to research.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 05, 2012 09:51PM

Lacey, let us know how you get on with feverfew. I wish you good luck!

Love,
Prism

Date: July 06, 2012 12:44AM

Horrible, horrible migraine last night from a wicked storm that rolled in. Heavy air pressure is my trigger. The sky was greenish orange, wind knocked down an enormous willow across the road. Heavy pressure. Not fun. 2 tylenol migraine with codeine finally eased it. I seriously wish there was a natural something I could take when the pain comes on as I get a headache rarely, too rarely to take something every day all the time.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 06, 2012 01:11AM

I hope you feel better, Coco. I am sure it must be very difficult when you get one of those intense headaches.

Let us know if you try one of John Rose's suggestions: 'schrooms and acid.

Date: July 06, 2012 11:20AM

sad smiley Hope you're feeling better soon, coco, and that you respond better to the weather wherever it is you are moving to!

Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 06, 2012 11:46AM

It's really strange, the raw food lifestyle can help with cancer and what not, but it cannot help with migraine! My mom has migraine too, and also in response to pressure changes in atmosphere etc.

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: July 06, 2012 10:56PM

I don't think raw food is a cure for everything. It's not going to fix a broken bone for instance, lol. It's just diet and sure it can help with healing, resistance, general health etc but it's still only part and certainly not the miracle cure all some make it out to be.

Not sure acid and 'shrooms are on my horizon, sort of burned that bridge as a teen. Ha.

We've moved Tam, it's only a 5 minute drive from town so same climate. Maybe out to the left coast in a few months though, I'd like to be in BC again for sure. Maybe the air pressure is less heavy on the ocean, who knows!

Date: July 07, 2012 02:46AM

Fresh mountain air in BC . . . hoping that the humidity around these southern Great Lakes isn't too great a factor in your headaches, coco, because the summer is looking to be a bummer sad smiley

Date: July 07, 2012 09:47PM

OMG we were at the farmer's market downtown today and it was gruelling. Not sure I can take another day of that. It was like wearing a hot, wet, wool coat. Ugh.

Did you hear Tam that 88% of this region's apples were wiped out with that warm March followed by frost nonsense? Our local fruit's gonna cost a real bundle come fall babe, hope you've got an alternative. Sigh. Now there's a headache...

Date: July 08, 2012 12:28PM

coco, I was at the local farm store Friday(they're subsidiary of an apple orchard upcounty) and the manager was talking to another customer about how the hot spell in March killed the apple buds and also cherries, and how bad it's going to be later this year. I am a self-possessed grownup, but I blurted out, whiningly, "No aaaaaapples? Whaaaaat? But that's what I look forward to every faaaaaaaalllllll!" Then I immediately stopped thinking about myself, and thought about the farmers and their debts.

This is gonna suck. To the second power. sad smiley

Date: July 08, 2012 06:56PM

Yup, cherries too. And yup, serious farm crisis. Sucky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables