Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Water flosser?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 12, 2012 08:09AM

Has anyone here used a water flosser for an extended period of time? If so, what are your thoughts and experiences?

Same with an electric toothbrush vs. a manual toothbrush?

I used to have a Sonicare when I was in high school. I used it until the charger died. I always had the best dental exams.

Then I had two wisdom teeth pulled, the dentist almost killed me, and I haven't been to a dentist since.

I needed to replace my old toothbrush a little while ago. I saw they had toothbrushes on sale for $1 at the grocery store. I found a soft-bristled one... and it was everything but soft. The massacre that ensued resulted in the NASTIEST mouth infection, and I had a scare that the infection may have spread to my remaining wisdom teeth. It didn't. Thank goodness.

That was when I decided NEVER A CHEAP TOOTHBRUSH AGAIN... and (pseudo) invested in an electric toothbrush and a water flosser on eBay. I've had them for two days, now, and my mouth feels much cleaner. smiling smiley The first time I used the electric toothbrush, it felt like a bit of a shock, though.

There are some peer-reviewed studies that a water flosser can match or beat traditional flossing... which I never really liked, anyway. tongue sticking out smiley

Healthy gums are linked to a healthy heart...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water flosser?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 13, 2012 01:27PM

I have this one and I love it -

[www.amazon.com]

I've been using a WaterPic for years and don't know how I ever got along without it. I can't go to bed at night without using it because it makes my mouth feel so clean.

I also use a soft toothbrush and only brush with water. I don't really have any dental problems, no root canals, my gums are fine.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: May 23, 2012 06:46AM

I use both, electric toothbrush at home and normal one at work. Was thinking about water flossing, but so far haven't had a chance to try itsmiling smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 24, 2012 02:38AM

I used a water pik for many years. Almost every year I had to buy a new one though. I would put in hydrogen peroxide or Iodine in the water.

I also used it (on low setting) to clean my ears. I used a different tip for that of course. It worked great. I don't use a water pik anymore though. I have bridge work and I'm afraid it will loosen the glue eventually and then my bridge will fall out. I would buy one again to use for just my ears though.

I use an electric toothbrush and I sometimes will soak it in Iodine and water or just put some Iodine on it to kill bacteria. I also will use Iodine in water as a mouth rinse.

When I need to replace the toothbrush part I just buy a whole new battery operated toothbrush 'cause they are cheap.

Love,
Prism

Date: May 24, 2012 05:26AM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I need to replace the toothbrush part I just
> buy a whole new battery operated toothbrush 'cause
> they are cheap.

Tut tut, the fact that they are cheap is this really a reason to be environmentally unfriendly, unless they are cheaper than heads bought by themselves?

I also have a bridge, but don't really worry about the glue - it got unglued recently but it was very inexpensive to glue it back (uk).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2012 11:48AM

Oh, I would feel terrible throwing out all that plastic too Prism.
I had a very good dentist tell me that the Braun Oral B electric toothbrush is just as good as a more expensive model so that's what we use. The toothbrush heads last for a very long time even though I buy the ones for sensitive teeth and they're fairly soft.

I haven't used a water pik but I sure am interested. Taking good care of my teeth is pretty high on the priority list.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 24, 2012 03:45PM

When my top bridge fell out I had to have some work on the posts so the bridge when re-glued would stay put..he thinks for a few years and if I'm lucky longer. It cost me $300.

The battery operated toothbrush takes a battery so you are throwing out a battery at the very least and replacing it. My electric toothbrush with 2 replacement brushes last a very long time before I get another one. They can also harbor bacteria so I don't like to use it longer than a year.

That's a lot of plastic to throw out when the water pik gives up, typically it lasts a little bit longer than a year. I've had a couple of them.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2012 07:09PM

Prism, the one thing I've read about bacteria on the brush is that it can't survive for more than 24 hours so the solution I've come up with is to have 2 brush heads, one for morning and another for night. That way they each dry for the full 24 hours between uses. If I want to brush again in the middle of the day I use a manual brush.

Date: May 25, 2012 08:39AM

Prism Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The battery operated toothbrush takes a battery so
> you are throwing out a battery at the very least
> and replacing it. My electric toothbrush with 2
> replacement brushes last a very long time before I
> get another one. They can also harbor bacteria so
> I don't like to use it longer than a year.

This would be my worry, plastic of course but the battery in particular, they are usually quite difficult to recycle. I've had my oral-b electric toothbrush for 6 years now, only changing heads, the battery is still doing fine!smiling smiley

Isn't bacteria the issue when it is on the head? Which you change, without the need to change the brush itself.

Posted by: fety ()
Date: June 02, 2012 09:22AM

I discovered the Oral Breeze Oral Irrigator, it's much stronger than a Waterpik because it uses the water pressure from your bathroom faucet. It's pretty affordable on Amazon. Don't bother with the shower one or the one that stays conncted to your sink. Just get the classic oral irrigator so it's easier to clean and won't get nasty being hooked up all the time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables