Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Food Waste Disposer
Posted by: WheatgrassYogi ()
Date: May 13, 2012 02:09AM

I just bought a Condo that has a Food Waste Disposer. I've never used one, but it looks easy and clean.
Do any of you use one, and can give me the Pros and Cons?......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Food Waste Disposer
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 13, 2012 01:27PM

WY, do you mean it's an Insinkerator or some such device?

I compost almost everything that would otherwise go into the disposer, but occasionally I'll put tea leaves or coffee grounds or carrot peels in it, if I'm being lazy smiling smiley You must run it with the cold water and only cold water running into it from the tap, and shut the disposer off before you shut the water off. Never throw anything difficult to break down,like winter squash shell or pineapple skin, into the waste disposer; softer things, like apple peels and over ripe berries are fine.

The best way to cleanse it, every month or as necessary depending on use, is to put half of a manually juiced lemon and a couple spoons of baking soda into the disposer, turn on the cold tap water and let it run until it's empty. It should be clean and deoderized. There are chemical tablets you can buy for grungier disposers; they're usually located next to automatic dishwahser soaps at the grocery, but the ingredients are frequently toxic and bad for the environment, etc.

As you can see, someone that eats mostly raw fruits and vegetables and has access to a composter would need to use a disposer seldom. I run it maybe once every couple of weeks! It does increase the resale value of the home, however.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 13, 2012 01:35PM

In my day, we called it a 'garbage disposal'.

Date: May 13, 2012 02:28PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY, do you mean it's an Insinkerator or some such device?

Yes, that's exactly what it is. As KidRaw said, it's better known as a Garbage Disposal.
Tam....Thanks for your in-depth report....very helpful. I'm going to have to figure out a way to use it for Pineapple skins. I understand pineapple tops are too stringy to use in one. Watermelon, and Honeydew, rinds have always been difficult for me, but I shouldn't have a problem now......WY

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: May 13, 2012 06:55PM

WY,

I wouldn't use it. It pollutes the ground water further and places more stress on the septic system. Composting is the only way to go in my opinion.

Date: May 14, 2012 02:34AM

vermontnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
.....Composting is the only way to go in my opinion.

Yes...I don't think anyone would disagree. But not all of us live where Composting massive amounts of fruit scraps is feasible. Living in a Condo, as I do, doesn't allow for Farming activities.
Btw, I used my Food Waste Disposer for the first time today. I really like it. Now I can start buying Melons again......WY

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: May 15, 2012 12:32PM

It is amazing to me how compost does not smell at all if covered in dry material. You might even be able to have a 3x3x3 (the smallest workable size) on a deck, porch, or patio. Just a thought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables