Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

removing mercury tooth fillings
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 14, 2012 01:21PM

I have one mercury filling sad smiley

Have any of you had removed a mercury fillings? What was your experience. Some people don't get any problems, while others get like a lazy eyelid or other mercury related stuff. Some dentists will say mercury is nonsense and will show you their silver fillings. Others will decline removing mercury fillings. BUT most will remove mercury filling like if there was no problem (sending pieces of mercury all over).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing mercury tooth fillings
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 14, 2012 02:18PM

If it doesn't need to be replaced I would leave it. I've had all my bottom fillings replaced with composite resin which I would NEVER have done but the dentist didn't really tell me what he was doing, just drilled everything out and filled it up with plastic and charged me a fortune. These new fillings are just as toxic in their own way and they don't last as long so I'll have to endure the whole experience and be exposed to all the toxins again.

Date: June 14, 2012 02:52PM

In my case, it is "free" depending on the insurance procedure code. But all dentists say it is remove the same way, with the grinding tool, which would be free for me. The grinding tool will send millions of mercury particles all over my mouth, which will be absorbed through into the blood then it will end up in tissue. They say that everyday, a single mercury filling leaks 34 micrograms of mercury. Removing the filling with a grinding tool would expose me to thousand times more but only one day. What is better?

Posted by: chat ()
Date: June 14, 2012 04:37PM

Sounds like a bummer! Is there a procedure to remove it other than grinding, even if you have to pay for it and even if lots? That would be my choice to be honest, otherwise i don't even know what is better..

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: June 14, 2012 04:38PM

Generally a dental dam is used when removing metal fillings in which case there would be minimal contact with your oral tissue.
I have not seen a genuine study that shows that mercury is released from metal fillings once they are in the mouth. I don't really believe that happens.
I have read that using peroxide causes mercury to be released but again, not in a real study. I avoid using it in my mouth in any case, just in case.

The only way I've ever heard of removing fillings is by grinding them out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 04:38PM by coco.

Date: June 14, 2012 05:35PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I have not seen a genuine study that shows that
> mercury is released from metal fillings once they
> are in the mouth. I don't really believe that
> happens.

check out this link:

[www.hugginsappliedhealing.com]

Today's Fillings

Mercury comprises about 50 percent of the most common filling in the world called silver-mercury amalgam. Amalgam also contains copper, tin, silver and zinc. It is silver colored when first placed; therefore, the name, "silver" filling. After it has been in the mouth, mercury fillings begin to tarnish. The blacker the filling, the more tarnish has taken place. Silver-mercury fillings have an electrical current which can be measured. The higher the current, the faster mercury is being released. As of 1976, the new ADA sponsored (and patent holder) high copper mercury amalgam started taking over the market. Mercury is released 50 times faster from high copper (around 30 percent) amalgam than the "conventional" silver-mercury amalgam of before that time.

Currently dental amalgam fillings contain around 48 to 51 percent mercury by weight. Copper comes in second with the high copper amalgam now leading the markets. Copper can be from 24 to 33 percent of the amalgam. The higher the copper level, the faster the mercury and copper - both - are emitted from the fillings. If a gold crown is anywhere in the mouth, mercury comes off faster. According to university studies done by Dr. Chew, over the first two years after placement, amalgams release bout 34 micrograms of mercury per filling (per square centimeter of filling exposed) per day. These tests were done of silver-mercury fillings sitting in water and tested daily.

There are many things that make mercury come out faster. As just mentioned, any other metals such as gold crowns, nickel crowns and removable bridges will increase the speed of release of mercury. Chewing foods increases the emissions, dramatically. Hot liquids, like coffee, increase the release by thousands of percent, but only for 10 or 15 minutes. Abrasion from chewing gum increases the release of mercury by 1500 percent as published. Abrasion during the grinding of teeth during waking or sleeping hours, called "bruxism," also releases mercury vapor.

Compression of the filling from chewing releases mercury into the mouth. The electrical charge on a filling gives a hint as to how fast mercury, copper and other metals are being released. The higher the current measured, the faster the mercury release. The total amount of mercury released would be difficult to measure, but suffice it to say that the current measurements are adequate to contribute significantly to disease processes and the actual total mercury release in a living human being with saliva (which has a much higher electrical potential with dissimilar metals than water), in a warm , with acidic foods, bruxism, chewing gum, eating foods and several hundred bacterial strains is greater than any of today's estimates.

Date: June 14, 2012 05:38PM

I may add that any plumber knows about dissimilar metal contact when putting together two fittings of different metals.

Date: June 14, 2012 05:51PM

Some interesting comments in the reviews of this book:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: June 14, 2012 10:14PM

Again, not a scientific study. Just a book by a guy, he is a dentist but that doesn't mean he's qualified to say what's what in this case.
It's neither here nor there for me anyhow as the composite resin fillings (the white plastic ones mercury fillings get replaced with) are full of their own toxic junk. So you trade one for the other. I'd rather not go through the trauma of freezing and drilling again just to replace one bad thing in my mouth with another bad thing. It's just not worth it to me.

Date: June 14, 2012 11:07PM

dentists are not scientists. If people follow scientists to be healthy then they would read the numbers of frozen carton boxes and life would be easy with a calculator. sceintist know everything and can explain everything, beatiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 11:10PM by Panchito.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:13PM

Panchito,

Find a "holistic" dentist; they speicalize in safely removing mercury fillings and can advise on what to replace them with.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: June 15, 2012 01:35PM

I had mine replaced. My holistic dentist used a vacuum machine while he was grinding so the particles got sucked up and away. Glad I had them replaced. Always had a problem with the silver/mercury ones since I got them. Much better now.

Posted by: wleemitch ()
Date: June 15, 2012 04:48PM

There's this...

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

and criteria 118 by WHO... (Scroll down to 5.1)

[www.inchem.org]

I had a class with this Alternative doc who was on the discovery channel for his methodolgies. He wrote this article below on mercury.

[www.therockinstitute.com]

Explains why some may have no symtpoms from our amalagms and some of us do.

I think he knows what he's talking about. He reversed an olympian's brain damage with a video game.

I recently had mine removed and haven't noticed anything major positive or negative. I'll keep you guys posted.

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: June 20, 2012 01:32AM

I had all my amalgam filings removes back in 97, and all the amalgam 'bits' were sucked up a vacuum tube. However, as there was decay under the filings in some teeth, I don't think that the dentist did a great job of cleaning it all out, as the only decay that I've had since was under those ceramic filings angry smiley

Date: June 20, 2012 01:45AM

That's actually common with composite resin fillings though, they don't last as long as the metal ones and when they degrade decay can happen underneath them from bacteria etc seeping in where the seal has gone. That's how I lost a tooth actually, from decay that developed beneath a white filling even though they had gotten all the cavity out with drilling before they put it in. Thankfully I had a wonderful dentist for that and it was the very last molar so there is no discernible difference in chewing or appearance.

Date: June 20, 2012 11:13AM

Ok, I knew the composite fillings didn't last as long and weren't as tough, but didn't know re seepage you mentioned coco.

While the dental community now admit to mercury seepage, the amount is really minute. However, I'd think any amount is too much. In retrospect, and if I knew then what I know now, I think I'd have kept the amalgam.

Actually, it wasn't the mercury per se that prompted me to have the amalgam removed, it was chronic fatique that I'd suffered for years, and I thought the mercury may have caused it.

Turns out that I had a virus that caused 'Ross River Fever', that's endemic to that particular area of Oz; although, it was found to be caused by a particular variety of mosquito.

As I improved my diet over the years, the chronic fatigue left me.

Date: June 20, 2012 12:22PM

Cool story Geo smiling smiley.

I would rather keep the metal fillings I already have. When getting new fillings the dentist always just puts in the white ones. This will mean careful monitoring and replacement over the years but oh well. It isn't a perfect system. I'm working on making my own mineralizing toothpaste and rinse, it's a process.

Date: June 21, 2012 09:37AM

Sweet Coco, how far have you come to date with that? Let me know when you have perfected it, as I'd also like to use something different from the usual.

smiling smiley jalan

Posted by: kratom712 ()
Date: May 12, 2013 03:06AM

i went to the dentist the other day and he remover my metal filling without telling what tht f##k i felt okay after the fact.i took alot of nascent iodine and garlic after

Date: May 13, 2013 06:01PM

That's really not good. I also had a dentist do this to me, replace all the lower fillings when I went in for a root canal. I didn't understand what was taking him so long, 3 or 4 days I had to go in for! He just never really explained it to me, just took advantage.
Now a metal filling in the top is about to fall out according to the dentist I see now. Well, I'd MUCH rather have it fall out than have to have it drilled out so I'm going to let it go on and see what happens.

Here is the toothpowder recipe I settled on...
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables