Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

any realtionship between Raw food diet and tooth cavity?
Posted by: jj2011 ()
Date: July 12, 2012 09:26PM

Hi all,

I am at 50% raw which I drink mixed friuts and green vegetables juice for less than a year. Recently, checked with a dentist and found out two teeth have cavities.
I flossed my teeth twice a day and brush teeth three times a day. I've never have any cavity for past 40 years.

Is there any relationship between raw food diet and tooth cavity? How to prevent?

Thank you for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: any realtionship between Raw food diet and tooth cavity?
Posted by: chat ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:04PM

One possibility is calcium, if your intake is insufficient apparently the teeth enamel grows thinner, and more susceptible to bacteria. Or so my dentist says!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 13, 2012 12:22AM

Bacteria and plaque are big culprits. Use a good mouth rinse (I use Iodine) to kill bacteria.

Try using those dye tablets sometimes to check to see how clean your teeth are really getting during flossing and brushing.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 13, 2012 11:56AM

This is one possible theory. An analogy I read is as follows. When there is a water leak in a roof, people blame the water (the bacteria), but in reality the problem is in the roof (not being water proof). The roof is your immune system, which is based on bricks of minerals. Minerals are the bricks by which your body builds hormones, carry stuff around, clean unwanted stuff, etc. You got 50 TRILLION cells in your body and each cell needs a supply of good minerals. Your problem could be explained with a deficiency of some kind.

This is a second theory. Once a person eats raw food, the person pays more attention to anything happening in their body. Every becomes raw food and everything happens because of raw food. It could be that you have bad habbits but blame the raw food.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 13, 2012 04:22PM

jj2011,

There is no indication--even anecdotal--that a high raw produce diet causes cavities. However, after consuming these sweet or acidic drinks, are you making sure to rinse with water? My dentists told me that a preliminary rinse immediately after consuming sweet or starchy or acidic foods rinses away these protentially harmful-to-the-teeth substances, consequently discouraging plaque and bacteria from setting in. She added that rinsing before brushing also prevents one's grinding sugars and acids into the tooth enamel with one's toothbrush, which would cause decay over time.

Made sense to me!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 19, 2012 04:30PM

Low or deficient intake of Vitamin D and other teeth nutrients probably doesn't help any and a 100% raw diet does have the potential to be low in various nutrients.

I did find when i was raw that when i was eating high fruit my teeth became extremely sensitive, so much so that i couldn't face taking another bite of any fruit due to the pain.

The only other 2 foods that cause similar issues for me are citrus fruits such as drinking lemon water which i love and drinking fermented foods such as kefir in excess without brushing afterwards.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Posted by: SkyFeather ~ ()
Date: July 23, 2012 09:57AM

jj2011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi all,
>
> I am at 50% raw which I drink mixed friuts and
> green vegetables juice for less than a year.
> Recently, checked with a dentist and found out two
> teeth have cavities.
> I flossed my teeth twice a day and brush teeth
> three times a day. I've never have any cavity for
> past 40 years.
>
> Is there any relationship between raw food diet
> and tooth cavity? How to prevent?
>
> Thank you for your help.

Hi jj2011,

I was as well 50% raw vegan since Nov. 2011 and the past month I raised it to 70-80%. Just to share my own experience, I have had just the opposite: much-much fewer dental problems.

~~~
Each inhalation brings the outside world inside and each exhalation brings the inner world outside. You are bridging two worlds. Maintaining your balance you proceed further to the subtler realms ~

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 25, 2012 03:10AM

One of my pet peeves and one reason I had stopped posting in the main forum years ago was that --

It doesn't seem right to 'blame' the Raw Food Diet for health issues one is having if one is not 100% Raw. How would you know if it was the raw food and not the cooked food that was affecting you?

Posted by: LuckyRawVegan ()
Date: August 29, 2012 08:15AM

I always wonder about this.

I always think it's what you ate before coming raw, like eating and drinking foods with refined sugars and syrups that damage your teeth. People say eating a lot of fruit damages your teeth, I didn't believe that in the slightest but now I do. People have foods and drinks that damage their teeth such a coke and it wears away the enamal and rots your teeth, as they say. Then you eat a piece of fruit which is full of sugars and acids, good ones obviously, and its rots your teeth even more because there is no protection left on them. However, if you've had a 100% raw food diet since birth, there will be no defects on your teeth due to not eating sugary foods, and your teeth will be able to handle all the high natural sugars and acids because its got full protection plus you will have white beautiful teeth.

I maybe wrong, but that's what I've always thought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables