Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Honey mask
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 14, 2012 11:30PM

Has anyone ever used honey to soothe their skin? I know it has a rep as a moisturizer but I was looking for something a bit in between adding moisture to my face as well as soothing the burning feeling. It didn't work in either respect. I tried two applications today (both with raw honey).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Honey mask
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2012 06:18AM

what is the burning feeling from in the first place ? is it like sun chapped or wind chapped or?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 15, 2012 10:03PM

Hi, Jodi...

I had a rare summer cold and right around the face I developed almost a chapped skin. I went to Whole Foods and bought some natural moisturizer because I tried oils--shea butter, olive oil...and it burned! I feel a bit better today. smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2012 12:00AM

LOL- I just looked in the mirror and I am peeling like crazy! OMG, it's so hideous! And I'm in public...But at least it's not so tight. That was painful, man!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 16, 2012 01:00PM

This is weird; I hope you are better, nanners smiling smiley

Did you try cold pressed almond oil? It is very emollient, and also anti- bacterial. Ditto raw coconut oil. Olive oil is great--I use it to remove my eye make-up--but it is high in acids that can irritate already inflamed skin.

Date: August 16, 2012 04:29PM

You know, I think that the olive oil burned my skin! It is better today. Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2012 06:44PM

You're not going to like my answer but Imma give it to ya anyhows. Vaseline. It is what's recommended after intensive facial treatments that leave the skin raw. It coats but does not sink it, just protects with a non-penetrable layer that allows the skin to do it's own thing.

The other thing that you could try is a hylauronic acid serum, those are not greasy but very moisturizing to the skin. They combine well with oils too without creating something that's greasy, if you add the two together and give them a shake they emulsify beautifully.

Garden of Wisdom makes a couple of products for helping over-taxed or irritated skin. Oh No, What Did I Do To My Skin? is one, and there is another the name of which I can't recall at the moment. Both are hand blended with pretty natural ingredients. Check them out, I buy all the skin care I use from them actually. Great company, excellent customer service.

Date: August 16, 2012 09:51PM

Coco, I've been there, done that with the Vaseline. I have very dry skin in the winter and I heard that petroleum jelly was so great. It didn't sink in, as you said and so I don't know how my skin could do its own thing because "its own thing" is getting moisturized! So I guess it's better for another type of skin--maybe someone with large pores?

I am much better today. Just taking a shower and exfoliating and using the Whole Foods moisturizer was enough. I have to say--that stuff is more than decent. I didn't even bother to look at the ingredients but I used the tester and it was very light but it absorbed into my skin. I love natural lotion but dang! It's usually all yucky and sticky. This stuff is like that brand at Walgreen's (can't think of the name) that's very popular but this was cheaper and most likely had less bad crap in it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 17, 2012 11:52AM

banana who,

As for regular moisturizer, I swear by Derma-e Avocado and E cream; fairly natural and absorbs instantly.

coco,

Thanks for mentioning that other company--gonna look them up!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 20, 2012 08:55AM

sounds irritating and chapped ..is it possible you are topically allergic/or sensitive to what you put on your skin maybe .. i rarely wash my face because quite frankly i never really do anything much for it to get dirty in the first place (im really carefull not to manhandle my skin with my hands lol) ..other then it being exposed to the elements and enviroment but im one of those people that the more i mess with my facial skin the worse it gets ... but if yer putting stuff on and its burny feeling i think you might be sensitive to it .. not really sure what to add here :/

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 22, 2012 07:29PM

Yeah, vaseline is not a good moisturizer. It's more that it protects the skin from further damage so it can heal itself from irritation and that's what red flaky reactions are. It keeps stuff out, ya know?
I love that Garden of Wisdom stuff, I'm about to put in another order soon. When the weather starts to change my skin flips right out and needs some serious babying, it's such a pain.

Date: August 24, 2012 01:14AM

Jodi, I had a cold and so when I washed my nose area, it must have been too sensitive from all my nose-blowing. I should have not washed that area! It was so hideous, LOL! And I was walking around clueless. Blech!

Coco, I am going to look that one up. I am still on the search for the Holy Grail of moisturizers (or as Southerners call it--lotion). I do like this Whole Foods one, though. Not sticky, seems non-irritating and copying a certain commercial brand, which name I cannot recall (bottle is square-ish and blue and white).

Date: August 24, 2012 01:14AM

Eureka! I believe I am thinking of Lubriderm! smiling smiley

Date: August 25, 2012 06:18PM

That's one that dermatologists recommend for problem skin because it's so non-reactive. That and phisoderm for cleansing.

Date: August 25, 2012 07:44PM

I never wash my face except in the shower with gentle shampoo or Trader Joe's oatmeal soap.

Date: August 26, 2012 09:23PM

I just bought a lovely soap for my face at the healthy foody place over here in the states. I usually just use a plain glycerin bar and/or the oil cleansing method but the scent of this one was irresistibly yummy! All natural or I'd never be able to stand the fragrance. I practically want to eat it, lol.
[www.vitaminshoppe.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables