Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

teeth, dentists and x-rays
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 16, 2012 09:15PM

I went to the dentist yesterday, and he straight away tried to get me to have an x-ray. I instinctively said no, then he tried to persuade me to get one, saying there's no risk, and he wouldn't be able to properly check my teeth without it. So I got more stubborn (lol) and said no again. Then he looked at my teeth, said he could see a 'shadow' on one, but he wouldn't be able to say for sure if there was decay without an x-ray. I have no pain at all in my teeth, and I look after them pretty well I think, make my own groovy natural toothpaste with coconut oil and clay and essential oils like clove etc, plus stuff like oil-swishing (which I swear by).

It made me re-think my relationship to dentists. I still go once or twice a year for a check up - even when I never would do that with my doctor - I trust my body to tell me if there's a problem - why don't I trust my teeth?

Then, very synchronistically, I got an email today saying that Fred Patenaude's dental e book is on sale, so I think I'm gonna buy that, always up for new info about teeth.

So - what do you think about x-rays at the dentist?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: teeth, dentists and x-rays
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 18, 2012 01:39PM

Every dentists will try to have a whole mouth xray when a new patient walks in. Some will do xrays very frequently as it does not cost them much once they have the equipment but it is a cumulative effect. Kids and pregnant women are much more sensitive. You have to watch out for the xrays that aim at your throat (it needs a special throat cover). I think the thyroid and the pituitary glands are the ones that absorb the most xray radiation and the ones that cause cancer easier.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 18, 2012 05:42PM

I have them done annually and haven't noticed any problems after a couple of decades. My dentist uses a full barrier blanket, so no part of my abdomen or throat is exposed. I know that some incipient caries I had in the past, in spite of rigorous dental hygiene, were not obvious without the x-rays, and I'm glad my dentist caught them in time. But it depends on one's own system's tolerance for this kind of thing. I still fly in planes if I have to, so I figure occasional dental x-rays aren't a big deal.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 19, 2012 01:46PM

thanks for sharing guys xx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables