Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's the proper way to breathe?
Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: September 19, 2012 05:14PM

Sometimes after a long day, or stressful event, I find I am breathing through my chest and my stomach/abs feel tense. The result is pressure in the chest. If I lie down and practice deep breathing through the stomach, I feel much better. How does one breathe this way all the time though? Is it feasible?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the proper way to breathe?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 19, 2012 08:18PM

Here is a link to better breathing by Dr. Jolie Bookspan..my latest role model.
[www.healthline.com]

This is her last paragraph in the article:

"For healthful breathing during life activities, remember to let your belly expand to breathe in. Don't just raise your shoulders and chest. Don't pull your belly inward when breathing in; let it come outward as air fills your lungs. Take a full breath in now and try it. Relax and feel good."

Also, you can go to her Fitness Fixer and look for more articles on all kinds of subjects including more on breathing. Scroll down to the alphabetical listings.

[www.drbookspan.com]

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 08:22PM by Prism.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 19, 2012 11:10PM

I would take a yoga class that focuses on pranayama because they have interesting methods of doing it. Sometimes they even do alternate nose breathing. The instructor told us that you have to be very careful when doing it because it is a powerful practice and you want to do it correctly. You could also go to the library and find books on pranayama.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 22, 2012 01:13PM

There are also breath instructors in most major metropolitan areas, who can help you to relearn the proper way to breath, like babies and young children do.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: September 23, 2012 03:57PM

I am taking a yoga class currently and it incorporates various breathing techniques. One involves alternate nostril breathing. It was very interesting to see how it made me feel the rest of the day. I would definitely try a yoga class, preferably one which is associated with a spiritual organization. I say this because they are more well-rounded than the typical yoga studio, which may be more of a glorified workout center and not teach pranayama and sitting meditation practices but just asanas.

Posted by: fruitylou ()
Date: September 24, 2012 06:35PM

Thanks for your tips.

I realized I was doing this all wrong. My stomach wasn't protruding outward. I was breathing UP from the stomach to the chest where I would expand my ribs and lungs. It gave me some relief but apparently my belly should straight outward like filling up a balloon?

I am trying to belly breathe and it is very difficult. It feels like my chest is trying to fight it. I tried lying down and placing a book on my belly and breathing so that the book rises 1 in. This is a good exercise but as soon as I stand up or sit down again I am back to breathing through my chest lol.

I am going to keep practicing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables