Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ho Shou Wu aka Fo-Ti
Posted by: HH ()
Date: October 29, 2012 03:40PM

I'm wondering if anyone else uses this and if they can recommend a quality source that's not outlandishly priced. I've been getting it from Shaman Shack Herbs but don't want to break the bank right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ho Shou Wu aka Fo-Ti
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 29, 2012 06:11PM

I order my Chinese herbs from maxnature.com

They have 100-gram jars of the concentrated, instant granules. Just add hot water and drink after it's cooled down a bit.

To find "fo ti" (just a marketing name, I believe) you have to type both "He Shou Wu" and "Ho Shou Wu" to find all brands. There's a lot of choice. Prices are indeed reasonable and so is shipping.

In my opinion, these instant herbs may be quicker to work than either taking capsules or using the whole, unconcentrated powder.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 29, 2012 09:32PM

How are these herbs prepared though Hosea ?, i couldn't find them on the site. Many of the beneficial constituents of herbs are heat sensitive. Not all however, but quite a few are effected by heat.

Overall i like powders the best because the chemistry isn't altered by alcohol such as with tinctures or heat as with teas or infusions. You still keep the fibrous part of the herb unlike with tinctures or infusions where they are discarded.

I just gave away my last 100g of organic fo-ti powder Eric or i would have sent you some.

Are you enjoying the fo-ti root?. I tried it a few times and find it a good herb for libido, it is very Zinc rich for a herb which is unusual, probably where it derives its libido and hair benefits. Traditionally said to be very good for restoring hair color and preventing grey hair.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 09:37PM by powerlifer.

Date: October 30, 2012 01:25AM

Thanks guys. I've been taking it for about a year with some time off this past summer. Yes, I notice a real difference in libido and the strength of my nails when I take it. However, I'm also currently taking cordyceps, HerbPharm's immune defense tonic (see link for ingredients: [www.herb-pharm.com]) and panax ginseng. I'm really throwing a lot at my middle-aged bones right now. Not sure what's attributable to what. All I know is that along with diet, good sleep, stress management techniques, etc., it's working.

Regarding gray hair, I do have some at the temples and in my beard. Haven't noticed any effect on that. If there's is a change related to that, the hairs have actually become a a real vibrant white instead of gray. My facial hair is black, but I have a pure white-stripe down the middle of the chin. I'm not kidding. It looks crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 01:29AM by HH.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 30, 2012 02:50AM

Powerlifer: I believe that the concentrated granules are usually prepared by taking the coarse herbs, making a tea or decoction, then extracting the liquid, and in some cases this dried liquid is somehow infused with a base (starch, I think) to prevent clumping. But I think that Plum Flower brand doesn't spray the concentrate onto a base, it's pure 100% herbs. I have bought that brand and the texture is decidedly different. Not real granules as we know them. Also, sometimes the preparation of certain Chinese herbs involves releasing the important ingredient by "frying", which means something totally different from what we know as "frying". No oil is used.

When it comes to herbs, sometimes heat is necessary. You can't just take coarse herbs, crush them to a powder, and take it. Well, you can, of course, but there's no way it's going to be as effective or powerful as making a tea, decoction, or concentrated granule. The other option, as you know, is tincturing if avoiding heat is important. The Chinese have been at this for 2,000 years at least and have figured out how to make herbal medicines or tonics highly digestible.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 30, 2012 08:44AM

Ahh yeah cheers i know the type you are meaning, i have had korean ginseng come as the instant granules before.

As far as the powders, i still feel they are much stronger other than tinctures/extracts. On the scale teas, decoctions and infusions are some of the weakest ways to consume herbs medicinally from what ive read.

Nice one Eric, we just got the herb pharm range in recently. I really like there products especially their tonics, good quality herbs and well thought out formulas.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2012 08:52AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 30, 2012 06:40PM

You have skunk beard! That's so cool.
I can't remember what I was taking fo-ti for or when, it was a while ago. Think I'll check the health food store we go to when we're in town next, they have a great selection of herbs. Certainly they'll have it in capsules. My hair and nails are changing as I age, it's interesting in it's way...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 31, 2012 11:43PM

Horny and great hair and nails? Hmmm....LOL

Date: November 02, 2012 06:32PM

My hair isn't so great anymore. I'm a long way from the days of having thick, wavy, blond-streaked chestnut hair. My facial hair definitely looks eccentric and I am told that my increased graying (whiting) is "sexy as hell" (direct quote). Thank god for women who can think outside the box. Horny and with great nails, yes, this I can not deny. I have an awesome body too. smiling smiley

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Horny and great hair and nails? Hmmm....LOL

Date: November 02, 2012 06:38PM

I think that aging is a real positive experience when you're healthy. I like being my age and I like people who are my age who can enjoy being this age. Sure I don't see the same physical being in the mirror that I saw 20 years ago, but I do like looking older and being healthy. I feel like my health protocol is paying off. When I was 30 I fell deeply in love with a 48 year old woman who had this incredibly beautiful head of long gray hair. She was so cool. I hope that I can look and be half as amazing as she is.

coco Wrote:
> You have skunk beard! That's so cool.
> I can't remember what I was taking fo-ti for or
> when, it was a while ago. Think I'll check the
> health food store we go to when we're in town
> next, they have a great selection of herbs.
> Certainly they'll have it in capsules. My hair and
> nails are changing as I age, it's interesting in
> it's way...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 03, 2012 07:30PM

My mama says age is a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter! LOL.

Yes, I too enjoy the aging process. It helps that I'm in good shape and feel healthy and strong. Things could be better in ways but I can see where that is directly in my hands to make it so. Empowering. smiling smiley

Date: November 09, 2012 08:29PM

People our age will have the chance to live longer than those who came before us. With things like nanotechnology we could soon be looking at very, very long and vital lives. Having things to look forward to and live for is the greatest longevity tonic there is. Superagers primarily attribute that to their health and mental sharpness. As bad as the world is, there's a ton of good stuff too. We live in a time where there's all kinds of incentive to stay alive just to see what's next.

coco Wrote:
> My mama says age is a matter of mind. If you don't
> mind, it doesn't matter! LOL.
>
> Yes, I too enjoy the aging process. It helps that
> I'm in good shape and feel healthy and strong.
> Things could be better in ways but I can see where
> that is directly in my hands to make it so.
> Empowering. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables