Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Give Some Tips for A Toxic Colon
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 15, 2012 07:07PM

I have a friend who is 72 yrs. old, he's a SAD eater, and he's diabetic. This year he has been in the hospital with sepsis from e.coli. He takes various medications for the 'typical' American who eats SAD.

He got sick enough recently to think he may be back in the hospital. It finally occurred to me that he's not getting e.coli from ingesting it from foods, or other unclean sources but that his body is poisoning itself. He gets constipated of course, goes from sweating to being cold, nauseated, no appetite etc. I gave him a couple charcoal capsules and within 20 minutes he felt a lot better. That's when it dawned on me that it's his colon, digestive tract that is making him sick.

I took him shopping and he bought:

Metamucil (psyllium husk drink)
Smart water (for replacing electrolytes)
Yogurt (Activia) I told him to eat yogurt daily for at least 1 month
Probiotic capsules
Magnesium Citrate 2 bottles (as a temporary and quick help) It's yucky..but he drank it and it helped so he's going to buy a few more bottles.
A bag of apples (told him to eat one a day)
Pumpkin pie (since pumpkin has a lot of fiber and he likes a treat)
More Charcoal (to help clean up the toxins)
Drink lots of pure water
Walk more (he uses a mobility scooter)
Do his meditative deep breathing daily

I couldn't find a good colon cleanse herbal tea..recommendations would be great. Anyone ever try Holy Tea?
I also told him to buy Lugul's Iodine 5% and take 2 drops in water everyday.

That's my list as far as steps this person would take to help with the problem of toxic colon. If you have any other tips please add them in list fashion. Keep in mind this is a typical person that eats SAD and while he will add more fruits and veggies to his diet I don't count on constancy.

Thanks for any tips you may have.

Love,
Prism

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 07:08PM by Prism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Give Some Tips for A Toxic Colon
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 16, 2012 01:07AM

What about that high test probiotic Dr. Ohhira's (Professional version). I've seen it on iherb.com. A great place to buy supplements.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: November 16, 2012 04:49AM

Hydration hydration hydration!

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 16, 2012 03:00PM

Get a $220 colonic board on Amazon and do like 10 sessions separated by a week each. After the 4th, it will start to look OK.

Date: November 16, 2012 04:28PM

Panchito, I've suggested strongly on getting to a hydro-therapist for colonics. I told him at least 1, but 1 every week for 6 weeks would be great.

What is it about enemas that make one squeamish..his ex-wife is terminal (that is from the Dr.s) with colon cancer and like my other friend is taking some years to get to the terminal part. After 8 years living with colon cancer my friend died.

Horsea, depending on one's state of colon health, maybe a too strong of pro-biotic is not the way to begin..but certainly should be ok for one after some improvement in their colon health. That's why I didn't mention Primal Defense and also due to readily avail. otc pro-biotics was easier.

Newhoove, I agree and I remind him now to drink lots of pure water. He's feeling and looking better everyday now.

I'm still looking for recommendations on an herbal colon cleanse tea that isn't too pricey. Or do you think they don't really work as well as promoted?

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 17, 2012 01:19PM

Hope your friend gets well. Sometimes people want to keep doing what hurts them and prefer to take a solution pill to fix the problem. It is in their expected imagination that way of fixing things. Other times, they believe in mythical science and think that they can always be fixed on the bed of hospital. It is more like an accumulation of problems. For example, some diabetics get circulation problems and end up having extremities cut while their problem could have been fixed by a change of habits. While you can see that you can fix your friend, your friend is the only person responsible for himself. This also happens with family members that live on their own world. You can only do so much.

Date: November 17, 2012 04:37PM

That's too true Panchito. I already have backed off being too concerned with regard to my friend's health.

This particular friend likes the caregiving aspect of being needy and while I know he's not faking anything, he does get more dramatic the more concern I show.

I'm not one to judge how people live their lives. I have so much to work on myself that how can I judge others.

I've let him know that doing the high colonics would be the next step. He may end up back in the hospital and then the choices are more limited I feel. Some people have confidence in the medical field. I'm not one of them.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: November 19, 2012 02:50AM

You may want to look into "Flor Essence". It is a herbal detoxifying tea.

[www.vitaminshoppe.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:35PM

I repasted the information i posted in the other thread prism.

As far as herbal based colon cleansers go, most are based largely around stimulant laxative herbs such as senna or rhubarb root which can actually weaken bowel function and cause dependance. So i don't rate most of them at all.

They also have other side effects in that they can disturb electrolyte balance, which can be very dangerous and is something that happened to myself after taking the Kleri tea which is part of Dr.Natura's colon cleansing kit. My heart started going out of rhythm, i was very short of breathe and even sedentary my heart was in tachycardia. If diarrhea results remember to replace electrolytes and get professional help.

The other component of most herbal colon cleanser products is fiber such as psyullium husk or others such as flax, chia and even sometimes absorbers such as bentonite clay or activated charcoal. These products are better but they don't address the reason for gastric dysfunction and are merely a band aid to mop up the mess.

I personally rather focus on restoring the gut flora and stomach acid when it comes to digestive health. It is largely the gut flora which controls peristalsis.

Triphala is good as mentioned above in that it is a non-addictive mild laxative which doesn't weaken bowel function or gastric motility in the way stimulant laxative herbs do.

There are other colon cleanser products such as Oxypowder which do work but again, taking doses of magnesium which acts as a laxative isn't good long term either. You want your digestive system to be working naturally and alot of that stems from having proper gut flora balance and sufficient stomach acid levels.

As to the question of powders or capsules for Triphala, either is good. Powder will usually be cheaper.

Again id always start with restoring gut flora and raising stomach acidity if needed.

[natuhealth.co.uk]

Date: November 20, 2012 02:44PM

Yes, thanks Powerlifer for this info. My friend had blood tests done and it came back with high white blood cell count and low on electrolytes. It's difficult for them to find an infection and I don't know why that is. It takes them some days it seems.

Love,
Prism

Date: November 20, 2012 04:16PM

High white blood cell count isn't always caused by infection, some other causes include inflammation, stress, intense exercise and allergies. Aswell as many more potentially serious issues which hopefully isn't the case.

Most doctors will investigate high white blood count.

[www.natuhealth.co.uk]

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 22, 2012 12:48AM

"I personally rather focus on restoring the gut flora and stomach acid when it comes to digestive health. It is largely the gut flora which controls peristalsis."

Not disagreeing with you, but I always thought it was bile flow that got things moving. Good bile flow = good peristalsis. Of course all parts of the body work together, don't they.

Date: November 22, 2012 02:34AM

I had severe constipation till I started the blood type diet.. Basically the key to winning at any eating plan, especially as we age, is the right proteins (saturated, polyunsaturated, and mono unsaturated) depending on his genetics. The reason the blood type helps is because Most O's and B's feel better on saturated fats in their proteins, and types A and AB feel better with poly unsaturated in their diet.

I found out and I eat fish once a day, and feel much better at 58 with a history of type II diabetes in my family.

The other key, is fiber both soluble and insoluble. If he can't eat beans, and other green leafy vegetables. I recommend Harmonia Deluxe to give missing nutrients.

Another key from an article I read, is we need enzymes in fresh food to help digest our food. Pineapple or papaya works good depending on which blood type. Pineapple is better for A's and AB's and papaya may be best for O's and B's Raw foods are very helpful, like romaine with spinach and may be some broccoli crowns and yellow squash and zucchini.

A SAD diet will be hard to change, yet when he feels better, he will feel it is worth it.

Deflect for each blood type keeps the offending substances from attaching to the intestinal wall, and there is a SPECIAL Probiotic -specific bacteria for each blood type, which I take

keystobasichealth.com has these products listed by blood type.

Don't forget raw foods, and specific probiotic support for someone of this age.

Date: November 23, 2012 10:09AM

Supreme cleanse by Gaia Herbs is a good all round cleanse and probably my favorite overall. It gets very good feedback over the majority and is gentle.

The cleanse contains no stimulant laxative herbs and has many additional ingredients such as DGL Licorice Extract and Marshmallow root which soothe the stomach. The deep detox and liver detox it comes with are also very well formulated from a herbal point of view as always.

Gaia Herbs always make great products though. Supreme Cleanse Gaia Herbs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2012 10:10AM by powerlifer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables