Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help
Posted by: dns ()
Date: November 20, 2012 12:47PM

Could use some advice on where to start with helping my wife. She has been coughing non-stop for three weeks with mucus build up and can't seem to get rid of it, no matter what type of herb or tea or medicine she takes. She has an inhaler for asthma that her doctor wants her to take. And, I do realize, obvioously on this site, the fact that she does not eat raw foods will have a bearing on any answers I may get. But I cannot force her, though I have tried to do so, to change her diet and exercise, she just won't continue. About three times a year, specifically in the spring - start of allergy season, and in the fall, she has this cough, and it usually lasts for 4 -5 weeks. But it seems to be getting worse. So, in a nutshell, that is where we are. Where do I start?

Thanks, David

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: November 20, 2012 02:48PM

Depending on your finances, you could take a 'vacation' at a health type resort that has holistic protocols such as raw foods, colonics, massages, etc. 2 days to 30 days.

People here are going to ask if she eats dairy products, meats, etc. and how much. Does she smoke? They are a great help here but the more info. you can supply the better they can give suggestions.

Love,
Prism

Date: November 20, 2012 04:57PM

She eats very little dairy, and none during coughing sprees. Doesn''t smoke, drink or play cards, lol. She comes from an Indian(India) heritage, though she herself was born in Canada. So her whole family eats very little but meats and bread, ala curry with beef or chicken and roti. Once in a while will add zuccini or onions to it. But alot of Indian spices.

Date: November 20, 2012 07:52PM

Has she tried not eating the spicier food items? That alone could be contributing to her problem.

Any thoughts as to a little holistic getaway? There are many to chose from.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 20, 2012 08:57PM

If it is truly an allergy then the adrenal glands wont be functioning aswell as they should be. Coughing though isn't a common allergy symptom, has her doctor checked her over properly especially due to the length of time the coughing has being going on?.

Im no doctor, but the steroidal inhalers atrophy the adrenal glands further which can make you reliant on supplying the external source of steroids.

Restoring proper adrenal gland function was how i overcame my allergies and multiple chemical sensitivity issues. Vitamin C and B5 from natural sources are two of the most important nutrients for adrenal gland function. Adaptogenic herbs such as ginseng, licorice root and schizandra berry help support and restore adrenal gland function.

I like Adrenal Health by Gaia Herbs as a solid adrenal support product, which is based around adaptogen herbs and they have very high quality herbs - Adrenal Health Gaia Herbs

As always its best to seek professional help before starting any herbs or supplements, especially if you are already on medication. Herbs such as licorice root can prolong the effects of pharmaceutical steroid medication.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2012 09:02PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 21, 2012 05:28PM

Maybe there is some kind of triggering agent or food causing problems with the immune system. I would try to see if the problems happen around a cause. Some people have bad reactions to grains (rice, wheat, etc) but they don't know for their whole life and take medicine. Pay attention to food as a potential cause of a problem.

Date: November 21, 2012 05:55PM

When I get that dry cough or too much mucus (haven't had it for a very long time..prob. several years) I use a syringe bulb with very warm water and salt and do a nose irrigation. Then as the liquid goes to back of throat I cough it out thru my mouth. This also hydrates the passages. You can use a couple drops of Lugol's Iodine in the warm water. That helps with sinus problems and infections. Some foods cause a temporary over-production of mucus for me and I try to stay clear of those things.

What I do for preventive measures is the warm water and Iodine on occasion. If I feel like a sore throat or swollen glands are around the corner I use a glass of pure drinking water with 5 drops of hydrogen peroxide and drink that.

Check to make sure she doesn't have a sinus infection, or fungal infection..things like that.

Let us know what she tries, and if anything helped.

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 05:57PM by Prism.

Date: November 22, 2012 02:49AM

As a Blood Type A, I found I could remove my allergic responses by cutting out milk and wheat. Yet I can still eat yogurt, and eat feta and mozzarella cheese. So it is the milk in the bottle that seems to be the problem.

Try cooking with almond milk. For the pasta, there are quinoa pasta's available which will help.

I take Redoxa as Blood Type A produces alot of mucus for some reason, and I like to sing.

Blood type nutrients available at www.keystobasichealth.

P. S. Harmonia Deluxe is a complete harmonic supplement to stir 1 TBS in a breakfast drink full of water, or juice
ingredients are, Clorella, Barley Grass, Sour Cherry, and Beet. American Elder, blueberry, and Acerola (high vitamin C source). Also Larch Arabinogalactan, rosehips, flaxseed, Hawthorn, Dunaliella algae, Nori (Seaweed), Bladderwrack, kelp (another seaweed). Last Ginger Eleuthero, parsley and dandelion.

Each ingredient has specific nutrogenomic properities to cover the sectrum of healing.

Hope this helps

Date: November 23, 2012 08:51AM

Thank you all for the responses. She is still coughing, and NEITHER of us is getting any sleep. We are looking at ood allergies, but haven't narrowed anything down. Still working at it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables