Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tanning beds cause more cancer than cigarettes
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 14, 2014 12:55AM

Whoa: Tanning beds cause more cancer than cigarettes!

[healthyliving.msn.com]

"The number of skin cancers we can blame each year on indoor tanning is higher than the number of lung cancers we can blame on cigarettes.

All this is courtesy of an eye-opening, huge meta-analysis published in JAMA Dermatology last week. Those researchers pored over stats from 88 major studies over the past 20 years, covering almost 500,000 total study participants from 16 western countries (including the United States, Australia, and countries in Northern and Western Europe).

Overall, the researchers estimated that somewhere around 450,000 cases of skin cancer (including basal and squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma) each year can be chalked up to indoor tanning, versus about 360,000 cases of lung cancer you can blame on smoking.

Also among their findings: Indoor tanning is incredibly common. 35 percent of adults, 19 percent of adolescents and a whopping 55 percent of university students have visited a tanning bed (14, 18 and 43 percent, respectively, in the past year!)."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tanning beds cause more cancer than cigarettes
Posted by: powerlifter ()
Date: February 14, 2014 09:08AM

They are incredibly popular these days, at least they are in the UK where we don't tend to get good spells of sun.

Ive seen alot of people overuse these tanning beds, so this isn't surprising sadly.

Superfoods

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 14, 2014 05:16PM

A UV light bulb (tanning bed lemp) is just not the same as the sun. The sun light (visible light) has a very wide spectrum where the color green peeks in the center. You only get limited UV in the lower side of the bell shape spectrum of the sun. Plus the atmosphere works also a filter. I am sure there are many other differences that make them just not the same.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: February 15, 2014 04:23PM

Unfortunately, all three of my daughters have done a lot of tanning, and one of them is addicted to it. They know how I feel because I've sent articles and told them how bad it is ad nauseum. My best argument was in telling them they'll end up as "Leather Lady". I visualize a whole generation of people who are the "Leather People" in a few decades sad smiley I sent them so much information and told them how I feel so many times that now I'm 'not allowed' to talk about it. When they get cancer or they're leather ladies, they can't say I didn't tell them so eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 15, 2014 05:02PM

leather lady or turtle head man. These are cause by DNA damage that carries on. The new damaged cells come up 2 to 7 years later (wrinkles).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables