Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anger and Dealing with Emotions
Posted by: Nessi ()
Date: May 16, 2007 11:31PM

Hi all,

As working through my journey with food I am constantly nudged to become more and more aware of myself, how I feel, what satisfies and disatisfies me, what enriches me, etc.,

On a personal note I never give myself enough credit, expecially to ellicit that I might ever actually get angry. I study taoism and energetic ways of life, understanding the harmful vibrations anger and other emotions carry. yet I have spent my whole life disregarding my own anger, especially as a young woman, who could I possibly need to assert towards?

So to ask, what do you all do with your anger? I like to move and find it can be a good release. But what if one can't be physically active? Do crosswords help? I'm searching for the cathartic habit that will send me away from unkindness and into comfort and relaxation.

I want to be kind to those around me and would like to let these toxins go...

Also, any sidenotes to the emotion of anger? Meaning, were there further issues at the heart of things?

Cness

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anger and Dealing with Emotions
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: May 17, 2007 12:29AM

I had tons of anger from suppressed memories of molestation and from Narcissistic Personality Disorder and denial and ignorance in my family. Anger = depression for many people, which it did for me. And my anger made me really sick.

I thought I knew how to deal with it but never actually followed the guidelines - until a couple of years ago. Huge difference for me now. Most of the things that used to upset me, I now barely notice! My health is improving too.

The way I am getting over my anger is - by not denying the truth. I read books by Alice Miller, who is a true child-advocate. Then I gave my self permission to understand why I felt so scared all the time, I started to remember the molestation. I also allowed myself to have my own feelings about how cold my mother was and how irrational and unnatural my family is.I worked through my anger and fear with CranioSacral therapy, and am a huge fan of it,since nothing else helped me release my anger.
Only my willingness to know the truth, (not what I felt comfortable knowing) and acknowledging and releasing the feelings I felt with lots of cranio sessions have helped me. I feel almost completely alone with my problems, but am far more comfortable now than before. Then I suddenly wanted to go raw again. My emotions kept me locked into addictive food patterns, caffeine abuse, etc. (yes! caffeine is a drug!)

I strongly recommend reading Alice Miller if you really have the courage to know yourself. (I only had the so-called courage when I was as low as I could go.)She encourages pple to be look at their histories honestly - very liberating!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 17, 2007 02:58AM

Aquadecoco--
Beautiful synopsis! Sorry you went through all of that (I did too). Everything you say resonates perfectly with what I've learned. Are you familiar with Redirecting Self-Therapy? I used it to detoxify (it took about 3 months) from my huge reservoir of anxiety and depression several years ago, and it was very powerful and incredibly healing. Alice Miller's works are great and could help a lot of people get unburdened.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 17, 2007 04:54PM

I found the books Feelings Buried Alive Never Die by Karol K. Truman and Focusing by Eugene T. Gendlin to be interesting in terms of dealing with recurring negative emotions and the energies that these emanate.

I've applied principles learned from both books when dealing with negative emotions that I didn't like experiencing and in the instances that they did not resolve completely, at least they were not as intense as before.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 17, 2007 08:17PM

Nessi,

Anger is just another emotion like happiness. IMO, anger is healthy. Even "Jesus" became angry. I think it is not logical to eliminate a natural emotion. I suggest to feel the emotion and understand why the anger occurred. Was it due to an unjust situation, etc.? If so, the anger is just. Address the issue if possible with the person, etc., if not, move forward and find a healthy way to release and overcome the situation within yourself.

If a healthy way is not found, it will show up in ill health like Candida, etc.

Regards,
Therese

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 20, 2007 03:07PM

Try finding out who you are angry at: Probably one or more parents...deep down. Or some loved one who you feel abandoned or abused or betrayed or let you down. Try helping that person.

-Help the person you are angry at...and help yourself to forgive them. Just a suggestion that worked for me.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rainbowgrl ()
Date: June 07, 2007 06:38PM

One thing you can do:

focus on your body where the feeling is...and don't wish it away. Then focus on the feeling for 10 seconds (like going into it with your inner eye), and see if the feeling "goes away" or melts into "just spirit." Aye and breath.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 08, 2007 04:08AM

An interesting thing happened to me in the anger department: For many years I had part-time jobs (I'm a musician, so my jobs are always part-time side gigs) working in some pretty oppressive situations. I found myself getting very uptight and resentful, particularly in my last job, where I was frustrated beyond belief as a transcriptionist because although my work is very good, I have a bit of a high frequency hearing loss, and listening to bad tapes was very hard work, and the new office mgr. thought I was faking the hearing loss to get better tapes, etc., and I finally got fed up and walked out on the job one day. (Yay for me!!)

Anyway, 3 years ago I found was led into a totally new area of work where I have a great deal of autonomy and I'm suddenly respected-- no, loved!-- and have almost no frustrations. I adore the people I work with-- both those 'over' me and those 'under' me. (The terms hardly apply; that's how great the job is.) So guess what? It spills into every other part of my life. I am so much more at ease with people, less angry and judgmental, better able to step back and see where someone is coming from and empathize, because I've been given back my self-esteem and dignity.

If you're really bound up in negative feelings, look at your work situation and see if it's time to move on; maybe you deserve better. ;-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: June 08, 2007 05:14AM

Ha! I was having this conversation with my daughter two hours ago!

She works for and among some petty manipulators (at The Gap) and lately expressed her disdain for their deceit and now they have reduced her hours to less than half. It's not her fault they are like that and they won't change; she has to. It's good for her to see what ppl can be like, and that she can walk away from it. Still, it's difficult at the time........

- the new office mgr. thought I was faking the hearing loss to get better tapes, etc.,

Weird. Maybe she thought you had nothing better to do with your time!

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: June 10, 2007 02:39AM

Anger is a step up from depression so try to consciously get angry and maybe punch a heavy bag or something and then after the energy has released then try to consciously get frustrated. Hopefulness is the next step from frustration, and you can gently keep going to a better feeling then that. One thing is for sure, don't bury your anger within you.

Abraham-Hicks talks alot about moving up the emotional scale, check them out.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: June 11, 2007 01:39AM

consciously get frustrated...never heard it phrased that way

sounds quite smart

Posted by: Nessi ()
Date: June 13, 2007 10:47PM

flex4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anger is a step up from depression so try to
> consciously get angry and maybe punch a heavy bag
> or something and then after the energy has
> released then try to consciously get frustrated.
> Hopefulness is the next step from frustration, and
> you can gently keep going to a better feeling then
> that. One thing is for sure, don't bury your anger
> within you.
>
> Abraham-Hicks talks alot about moving up the
> emotional scale, check them out.

How are you familiar with Abraham-Hicks? Have you attended programs or just done your own personal reading?

I love the idea that there is a progression of emotions. This is especially helpful for me because once I stop moving I don't know what to do with myself.

Movement helps me get out the anger, but I find it hard to be still afterward. Focusing on where it effects me physically does help, especially a meditation of increasing the sensation until it is so large it disappears.

I look forward to checking out the recommended authors, and doing some more self inquiry.

I love my job. I absolutley love my job more than anything. It is so fulfilling and rewarding, I have a hunch that I have more layers of the onion to peel back than have yet been seen...

In the meantime I continue to move, hoping to attract more awareness, self-responsiblity, self discovery, help, love, and peace, while trying to give and share what I can to those around me, and myself, in return.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2007 10:49PM by Nessi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables