Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Problems with natural Shampoo/Conditioner
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: September 03, 2007 10:09PM

Hello everyone.
I am sad that, since switching to an all natural shampoo and conditioner (I usually use Aubrey's and have tried a couple others) ...my hair is just not as pretty =(.
I notice it being dry, and limp. And NOT shiny at all.
I know that this is probably because there are no deposits left behind which cause the "shiny fullness" that conventional hair products provide. However, what do I do to get this look back?
I know my hair had got to be pretty healthy- I eat mostly raw and also take vitamins and minerals, good supplements, etc.
Why is it so dull, and lifeless? Can anyone suggest a treatment or a good shampoo to recommend?
*Also, my hair gets oily easily so I am weary about using oils in it- I've tried before and it makes it look oily!
Thanks for your help!!
=)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with natural Shampoo/Conditioner
Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 04, 2007 01:34AM

I've been using Aveda for the past year or so. They have a lot of hair products and claim to be natural but I think they're owned by Estee Lauder, and I doubt they could make so many products from natural ingredients.

I decided to use them because I wanted to keep my long hair in good condition and since I had highlights done at an Aveda salon, I bought some products for home from them too. (selling them like that is part of their m.o.)

I use other shampoos and conditioners- my favourites are by Curelle, which I buy and give to my friends and family - no scent.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: September 04, 2007 09:07PM

I use natural ones too, and also found that those that cut all the horrible ingredients out don't seem to be as 'effective'.

BUT, since going raw, washing my hair less (once a week these days), drinking green smoothies and eating nuts, my hair looks great!

This last week, I've also not been bothered to brush it either, have left it tousled, and it looks extremely healthy and thick!

Try giving yourself a nice scalp rub, and then using your hands to pull the natural oils down through your hair. Or get someone cute to do it for you smiling smiley

Posted by: cy ()
Date: September 04, 2007 11:20PM

Have you thought about quiting shampooing at all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2007 11:21PM by cy.

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: September 08, 2007 05:23AM

Try regular castile soap (even with oils..it's different) if you have oily hair. Lifts that crap right off. I like it during fasting. It does get drying though if you use it everyday.

Avalon Organics is horrible.Too greasy and dirty looking.

I just switched to Desert Essence Italian Grape Conditioner (havent tried shampoo yet) and so far I like it.
[www.desertessence.com]

Too soon to tell if I can stick with it long term. Before I was still using my old "regular" conditioner from the hair salon that worked great on my hair. (well depending where I was going or doing..) I just tried to keep as much off my head as much as possible so only the hair absorbed it. I figured ti was better than soaking my head with it.

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: September 08, 2007 01:54PM

rawnoggin Wrote:

> This last week, I've also not been bothered to
> brush it either, have left it tousled, and it
> looks extremely healthy and thick!

Sounds gorgeous!
>
> Try giving yourself a nice scalp rub, and then
> using your hands to pull the natural oils down
> through your hair. Or get someone cute to do it
> for you smiling smiley

Good idea!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables