Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hydrating the skin...
Posted by: SandraDee ()
Date: February 21, 2008 05:08PM

I'm finding that my hands and lips are getting very dry/chapped/splitting, etc. I know my body is just trying to get rid of old dead tissue and replace it with new... but it's uncomfortable in the process. So someone recommended to use coconut oil. I did put some on yesterday and today... but it takes a loooong time to absorbe into the skin. Is this normal... or is my oil not raw? I bought the Omega Nutrition Certified Organic Coconut Oil. Whatdayathink?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hydrating the skin...
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 21, 2008 05:15PM

I find thay only happens in the wintertime. I think a shower filter wold help but I haven't tried that yet.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 21, 2008 05:24PM

If this dryskin is very unusual for you it might be worth looking at reasons other than detox.

I got excema and dreadful dryskin for the first time in 44 years and also discovered my underactive thyroid at the same time. Upon investigation I discovered that dry skin is one of the symptoms of this thyroid condition.

hopefully this isn't the case for you but I thought it worth mentioning.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: February 21, 2008 05:41PM

Also, there's an application trick that might help you; apply the oil to damp skin, not dry. This means you need much less oil, and so it absorbs faster. It also works better.

Do you blog? Add your blog to the thread on blogging: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]!!

Posted by: SandraDee ()
Date: February 21, 2008 06:33PM

thanks everyone!! Flipperjan... funny you should mention that. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid half a lifetime ago... so I always am dry in the wintertime too... but it seems worse since starting raw and stopping using regular moisturizers.

Posted by: bananablossom ()
Date: February 21, 2008 07:06PM

A wonderful cure for dry skin... I soak in a tub of Coconut Milk. I run a bath like normal and then dump in an entire can of coconut milk. It smells heavenly and your skin is super, super soft and moisturized afterward.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:08PM

Drink lots of water!
fiji is the best bottled water. It is the closest thing to PURE without spending $2,000 on a good filter system for your home. (im saving for one)
The same thing happend to me.
I started using berts bees wax moisturizer day and night,
Also i got a colonic and was shocked at how hydrated my skin became. During a colonic your body is being flushed with GOOD PURE water.
If you do decide to get one just make sure that the doctor uses a good filter system.
Good luck and just remember... everything is subject to change. Nothing lasts forever. And though it may suck right now...its worth it in the end.

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:17PM

I just started dry brushing. I haven't been doing it long enough to say how well it works, but it's easy, inexpensive, and worth googling, IMO. =)

Posted by: Leesah ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:26PM

Hey SandraDee,

I've been having the same problem! My lips are very chapped and my skin (especially my hands) is constantly dry despite the fact I drink lots of water. I tried the Coconut oil for a month, but it didn't really seem to work well for me. Like you say, it takes so long to absorb into the skin (I even tried warming it a little to see if that would help). Even after hours, I never really felt like it did any good.

Here are some other things I tried: shower filter, sauna, and taking cooler showers.

I hope we can find something that works...I've been wanting to try a colonic.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:46PM

Leesah,
colonics are awesome! I felt like a million bucks walking out of that place! You have to get 2 in a row. 24-36 hours apart. In the first one you cleanse out everything in your large intestant then in that 36 hours everything in your small goes into your large. During the second you cleanse all that out. Its is amazing the differance in your body.
i am even breathing better!
Some people say i am full of @#$%& but......no im not!
When i looked in the mirror right after...i looked so refreshed,

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Date: February 21, 2008 10:03PM

Stoner,

Haha. It must be nice not to be full of s***! What is the difference between a colonic and an enema?

My boyfriend has an enema bag and he's been trying to convince me to let him give me one. I would feel a bit embarrassed going to a complete stranger for the first time...

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 21, 2008 11:35PM

Hi Leesah,

Without getting too technical, a colonic irrigates much deeper than an enema. Also, with an enema you have to take the "tip' out and then sit on the toilet to empty your bowels, with a colonic, the tube stays in and when the water pressure is turned off, you empty your bowels into a different part of the tube. In my colonic there was a little glass window where you could see what was coming out of you and my colon therapist was able to comment on my diet, chewing habits etc. sorry if that was too graphic. Tomorrow I'm starting the 10 day "liquid only" part of my cleanse and I'm starting it off with a colonic with a wheat-grass implant. (actually I'm curious about other peoples experience with that, so i think I'll start a new thread).

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:35AM

There was a recent paper confirming that ambient weather conditions have a lot to do with the hydration of the skin.

Aside from that, make sure your essential fatty acid intakes are ideal and at least adequate (3 g omega3 and 12 g omega 6 is good). Plus more mononusaturated fat within reason.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:52AM

sandradee, i think you said you were going to start oil pulling, which is said to help with skin issues as well. i'd be interested to hear if that starts working for you...

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:11AM

I have to chime in here with how great colonics are! I just got one last week after not being able to get one for the first 4 months of pregnancy.
They are s0 important when you start eating cleansing foods like fruits and veggies and juices to release old impacted matter that gets stirred up so you don't feel bloated after eating raw foods. Without colonics, the body can have trouble passing the "non-foods" so many of us have eaten in childhood and throughout our lives.
Make sure you get a gravity colonic! I have also had the pressurized mechanical type, but the gravity centered ones are way better and work with the natural flow of your body. Natalia Rose has a directory of the best hydrotherapists here:

[www.therawfooddetoxdiet.com]

I move around alot and they have all been excellent! It's so important that you go to some one good and experienced, too.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: February 22, 2008 03:03AM

I have found that Rosehip oil (externally) in the shower helps immensely:

[www.mountainroseherbs.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 25, 2008 05:00PM

Thanks for the info Greg...That wasn't too graphic.

Date: February 25, 2008 05:10PM

Stoner can you tell me more about this $2000 filtration system you are saving up for? I'm very interested in hearing about it!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:03AM

Posted by: MauiGreg (IP Logged)
Date: February 21, 2008 05:35PM

Hi Leesah,

Without getting too technical, a colonic irrigates much deeper than an enema. Also, with an enema you have to take the "tip' out and then sit on the toilet to empty your bowels, with a colonic, the tube stays in and when the water pressure is turned off, you empty your bowels into a different part of the tube. In my colonic there was a little glass window where you could see what was coming out of you and my colon therapist was able to comment on my diet, chewing habits etc. sorry if that was too graphic. Tomorrow I'm starting the 10 day "liquid only" part of my cleanse and I'm starting it off with a colonic with a wheat-grass implant. (actually I'm curious about other peoples experience with that, so i think I'll start a new thread).

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

I'm really not following you around about this, Greg! Ha! Seriously... I'm not!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables