Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The "No Poo" experiment.
Date: May 01, 2008 03:04PM

I was raw once before for about 8 months and didn't wash my hair in all that time. It looked the best it's ever looked. I rinsed it every other day with a conditioner that I made myself. I'm trying to remember what the heck I made it with so I can make it again....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 01, 2008 07:10PM

Yeah, the same thing happened to me. At first, my hair would be really greasy every 2-3 days... then 1-2 days of intense dandruff... then I haven't been better since! =) That took maybe three weeks?

Posted by: sunshineTX ()
Date: May 02, 2008 10:29PM

I apologize if someone already answered this question, but how often are you washing (with water of course)? Daily? Semi-weekly? Weekly?

I tried this before but I don't think I was doing it right?

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 02, 2008 11:51PM

What a fun thread! Azura your hair is lovely.

I've been no-poo now for 4 months now. It hasn't been problem free but I have really enjoyed my experiment. The sides of my hair are quite lovely but there is thie one spot in the back of my head that still gets greasy sometimes. But if I take care to wash every single day, it is fine.

Glad to see so many others trying the same thing! smiling smiley It does sound like a fiberless diet doesn't it!

Oh - I do write about my no-poo experiments and have some pics up on my blog (in my signature) if anyone is interested in my experiences with it.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: May 03, 2008 02:13AM

I'm washing with water every day. I think that's why I haven't had any issues with oiliness. I'm also brushing my hair with a boar bristle brush which removes the oils from oilier areas and redistributes it to my much dryer ends.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 03, 2008 02:35AM

Around 24 hours, my hair starts looking a little greasy--nothing that washing with just water can't fix!

I could never go more than a day without washing my hair, though.

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: May 08, 2008 11:55AM

thank you Sarah!...
Everyone - go and check out Sarah's blog - she is sooo inspirational and smart and funny : )

(no pressure there, eh? ; ))

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: May 08, 2008 01:49PM

I jumped on the no poo bandwagon this week with my waist length straight hair that tends to get greasy. I washed with a little baking soda and rinsed with a little fresh lemon and my hair is softer and stays clean longer. Love it!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 13, 2008 07:26AM

Amazing! Who would have thought?

Could someone tell me what to expect while transitioning to no shampoo? I'm terrified of what my hair will look like in the meantime, especially since I work with very appearance-conscious, super-hygiene kinds of of people. (I usually only shower every other day myself, though the people at work don't know that !) My hair looks really limp and dry the second day and only a shower and shampoo seems to revive it. (I hide this by putting my hair up).

Posted by: claire ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:31PM

So....I am almost two weeks into the "no-poo".

My hair is very thick and curly, so actually I was more worried about giving up my conditioner/styling gels than the shampoo. I only shampooed once a week before. But I eventually decided to go cold turkey on the hair products.

I have been getting a lot of grease, tried lemon/orange juice with limited success, but tried baking soda this morning and that seems to have got rid of it....FINALLY!!!

The only problem is that it seems to have left my hair feeling very coarse..so I'm wondering whether anyone has any home-made conditioners that they use???

Date: May 14, 2008 08:43PM

I too work around "foofy" people, in a fine dining restaurant. I wash with about 2 teaspoons of baking soda and rinse with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. I am amazed at how healthy my hair looks and I can go longer without washing it now (3 days instead of two). I think my scalp is adjusting to not having the oils stripped from it.

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: May 19, 2008 08:37PM

It has worked great for me. I went through a hair 'detox' period where my scalp took time to adjust. After a couple of weeks my head was ichy, greasy and flaky, but I stuck with it. A little bit of diluted apple cider vinegar worked wonders on the flakes. When my hair got unbearably greasy, I put a little bit of baking soda in my hair and then rinsed it off. I did that once a week. It was a roller coaster for the first two months. Then my scalp balanced out and my hair improved. I actually began to get random compliments on my hair. It is wavier, shinier and fuller. I am so glad I tried this and stuck with it, despite the initial trials. It's funny how the best cosmetic is sometimes none at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 08:39PM by Joanne81.

Date: May 20, 2008 03:51PM

Claire-- try a little slippery elm powder mixed with lemon juice.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: May 21, 2008 06:31AM

okay

so i have been not pooing for almost two weeks now. at first it was fine, but now it's HORRIBLE!!!

sheez i don't know how much longer icould take it.

i was inspired by this thread, so i decided to come back.

i really don't want to use the poo. it would be really awesome if i can live without it.

normally i use an organic vegan shampoo. it doesn't smell like anything to me, but when i use it people always tell me i smell really good.

anyway,

i really like my hair. i think it is my best physical trait. it's shiny and soft.

right now tho, i have nappy hair. if i wanted to i could dred it easily right now.

i brush it every day when i wash it in the shower.

it isstill oily tho.

it's not an oily like greasy feel... it's this sticky oily feeling.

also, it's kind of fuzzy too.

not only that, but it's not shiny at all.

i've noticed i don't shed nearly as much if at all which is good.

i feel like i have helmet head tho when my hair is drying.

also, i was styling my hair today, and when i was done it was like... my hand was dirty. there was this sticky oily gunk on my hand. like residue... from my HAIR!!

i said "ewwwwww" out loud.

i am considering the baking soda, but like someone said before it makes your hair very dry... i don't want my hair to be dry and i don't want to feel like i am damaging my hair either.

any other suggestions?

lemon juice i think someone said?

i have this weird texture in my hair. it is very odd...

thanks girls.

ilovejen

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 22, 2008 10:05PM

jen-
i've gotten that once or twice-
when i first started i would use very diluted castile soap mix- but then i had to condition and the cycle had to be broken again.

now if i need a heavier duty wash, i use warm salt water. or a dip in the ocean. then a little light conditioning if it needs it. though usually it looks great until i sleep on it.

or i make a big batch of rosemary infused water and lemon or marigold. this is an ordeal of hairwashing, reminding me of 50's women needing 1/2 a day to get my hair washed. but i wash it four or five times in very hot rosemary water in a bowl in the kitchen sink. and rinse it well in the shower. then lay down and read to let it dry. it is amaingly refreshing and my hair comes out in what looks like rolled curls b/c they are so big and shiny. but this is only once or twice a year now that i do this.

peace-

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: May 31, 2008 03:59AM

It's been more than a month since I've used any hair products and my hair looks decent. I never did get the extreme greasiness that others have reported at the beginning. I think brushing my hair with a boar bristle brush before I shower has helped remove any excess oils. I can't wait to see what my hair will look like in a year.

Date: June 01, 2008 11:26AM

I'm still doing a wash with 2t. baking soda and a rinse of 1/2 small lemon (waist length hair) and my hair still looks great and can go longer without a wash (3 days instead of two). I think the lemon helps get rid of the baking soda residue and it makes my hair shiny. I rinse my hair really well after the baking soda and the lemon.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 04, 2008 04:25PM

Mother's Day was the last time I washed my hair. It is starting to look dull. I think I will try the lemon and rosemary trick. Thanks mama cass. I have curly hair and at first the curls were curlier and my hair looked shinier and healthier than ever but now, not so pretty.

Thanks for this thread. I never thought I could be liberated from shampoo before. I love how quick my showers are now.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables