Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

waiting for fillings
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: May 02, 2008 04:19PM

So I have some cavities I haven't gotten filled--yes, I should have, but I didn't make the appointment and now it won't happen for a few months because I have travel plans I can't cancel, plus I won't have insurance for a few months. So, now my fillings are starting to bug me a bit--is there anything I can do while I wait, anything to temporarily delay the decay? I feel really stupid here. I would have made the appointment at the dentist that found the cavities, but they were really rude and trying to push cosmetic procedures on me--and then I dropped the ball. Going raw is not making my cavities disappear; any other ideas would be appreciated. I did a search but am still not sure of what to do.

I am flossing since apparently lack of flossing is how I got the cavities. I also need to be careful with the dried fruit and acid fruits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: waiting for fillings
Posted by: jairama ()
Date: May 03, 2008 06:34PM

swish with warm salt water 3+ x's a day. and better yet add 1 drop of oregano oil.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: May 06, 2008 08:54AM

Also swish with baking soda + water.

Also, when you do get the fillings, its probably better if they are not the mercury/silver ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2008 08:55AM by VeganLife.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2008 03:13PM

though metal fillings aren't terrific the alternative (composite resin) isn't great either. a suspected carcinogen, they have a much shorter life than metal and contribute to temperature sensitivity. i have a few, i regret them.
porceline fillings are good but fairly costly.

Date: May 06, 2008 10:37PM

that is unproven. as much as i am adverse to using mercury in anything that goes into the body, until there is a reliable and affordable alternative, metal fillings are still the best thing.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 07, 2008 02:15AM

You can try using a water pik and adding some 3% hydrogen peroxide to the warm water to clean between teeth and gum line..this will cut down or out the bacteria and infections. Cut out anything starchy even before sugary foods if you aren't 100% raw. You might try seeing a dental hygienist to have your teeth cleaned before traveling..use one that has their own business and not attached to a dentist, although one may be located inside a dentist office.

I'm happy I had my mercury fillings replaced with composites. While something be be unknown..it's the for certain things like toxicity of mercury that should be avoided . There are also stats on mortality rates of dentists that are excessively high when compared to other occupations..I believe they have the highest even before police and firefighters.

Love,
Prism

Date: May 07, 2008 01:28PM

but prism, those composites we both have have been linked to cancer as well. it's a scary alternative to me and one that i think needs to be very carefully evaluated. resin=plastic and you Know there's a ton of junk in there.

also, be very careful using peroxide in a mouth that has metal fillings. in fact, it should not be done. the peroxide oxidizes the metal and with mercury that isn't a good thing. those whitening strips and whitening at the dentist are often done with peroxide as well, it is best to avoid that if you have any metal fillings.

Date: May 07, 2008 03:30PM

Also, you could then (if adverse to using peroxide and it's true what cocoa said about mercury fillings and hydrogen peroxide) use some Lugol's iodine at a couple drops and add that to some pure water and swish in mouth and around teeth or add to the water pik..it's probably even better than hydrogen peroxide anyway.

About composites..probably all true Cocoa..but I chose what I thought best at the time..the best thing is to care for teeth and mouth at the very start of life and to arm oneself with as much knowledge as one can and choose accordingly.

Love,
Prism

Date: May 07, 2008 08:42PM

that's an interesting idea about the iodine rinse. very interesting. i'm using a mineral building rinse right now for little and i due to our soft teeth but am always up for trying something new.
when little got his fillings i opted for composite resin, i couldn't deal with the idea of putting mercury into his mouth at all. i figure those teeth would fall out before the fillings needed to be replaced anyhow which i am hoping will be the case. now that he has some big boy teeth i'm trying to be extra vigilant but it's hard, he's at school all day so i can't remind him to rinse after eating. in fact, his big boy teeth look yellowish to me and i wonder if i'm missing something with him. boy, i hope not.

Date: May 08, 2008 03:25PM

You just never know really. My first son (my 2 sons had different fathers) had perfect teeth..perfect no cavities, white as snow, perfectly straight..and around age 3 I got a couple books by Adelle Davis called Let's Have Healthy Children..and I followed her protocols with giving him raw milk, home-made yogurt, whole wheat home-made breads, whole wheat pasta..etc..and cod liver oil 1 T, vit B syrup, Vit E, Vit C..I even made butter! He got extra magnesium too..to balance the calcium he was getting. I only breastfed this son for 8 weeks.

My youngest son wouldn't take cod liver oil..hated it from the get go. But I breast fed him up to 2 and 1/2 yrs. old..but he got cavities in his baby teeth and I had them filled..I wouldn't do it today. I'd let them fall out when he got his permanent teeth. He had terrible teeth..and he had to get braces..and he had to get his wisdom teeth pulled out due to lack of room for them and lots of pain. So while we can do so much, it has something to do with genetics probably, and other environmental factors, along with diet, cleaning, etc..we are not perfect..and can't be expected to do it all perfectly.

What did my oldest son do with his perfect teeth? He started chewing tobacco..at around 15 or 16 and he's turning 33 this month..and he's trying to cut back and cut out the chewing finally. So, there ya go..they also have their own road to travel. My youngest son who is 24 now..he's more into a healthy way of eating and will follow some guidelines and has a very good diet, and he is willing to learn and listen to my little speeches and chats about health.

Love,
Prism

Date: May 08, 2008 03:45PM

AAAHHH!!! chewing tobacco? my gawd, how to give your mom a heart attack 101. geez, i'm going to enjoy these young years as much as i can 'cause the teens are just around the corner, aren't they? scary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables