Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Crazy? Or just me? chemical question
Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: December 10, 2008 05:50PM

OK, I work as a nanny, taking care of two girls under 4 yrs. Their mother yesterday asked me to bathe them in bleach. She wanted me to put a cup of bleach into the bath with them because they have some pimples/diaper rash on their bums. They are already taking antibiotics for this. I told her I wouldn't do it, that I thought that was crazy, unhealthy and abusive. She tried to pressure me into doing this. I told her I would have no part of it, she only relented when I almost started crying when we were having a heated conversation about it. Almost lost my job but anyway;
Has anyone ever heard of this?
It seems awfull to me, the weird part is that she told me the pediatrician recommened this to her. But I am having a hard time dealing with that. Who would do that to their daughters?

If anyone has ever heard of this or any info regarding bleach baths please let me know,
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crazy? Or just me? chemical question
Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: December 10, 2008 07:26PM

Hi Megan
This probably isn't very helpful - it's just to say that I have two (adult) children and have never, ever heard of this, and would not dream of adding bleach to a children's bath! Completely agree with you.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: December 10, 2008 08:36PM

My eyebrows spontaneously shot straight up in the air when I read the word bleach. I cannot imagine that can be anything but ultra toxic for these little girls. Not only for their skin but their sensitive parts and future reproductive health. OMG! No way. You may need to turn this lady in. Just think of what she's not sharing with you.

Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: December 10, 2008 09:14PM

MEGANBUBBS - Bless your heart for standing your ground. It is quite possible that the doctor did tell her to do that or she made it up because she wanted you to think it was an appropriate act. Doctors are always telling people to do crazy stuff. My grandson's pediatrician told my son that it was very important he use water with extra fluoride. (*@#&(*&$! I suspect she isn't the first parent who has done something like this.

I am not sure how you want to handle this. You know this woman's personality and perhaps you should just walk away from the topic. If there is a riff in your relationship with her or you are concerned about your job AND you think she is approachable, you might want to consider doing some internet research, finding articles from RELIABLE SOURCES that backup your concerns, and calmly present them to her and tell her you care for her children and would never do anything to hurt them and you believe she may not be aware what bleach can do to them. You can give her the articles for her review. If you think this would work with her, I would highlight the pertinent text. She may not be someone you can use this approach with. I don't know the woman you do. Best of luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 09:15PM by Meditating.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 10, 2008 09:15PM

when i was about 5 i had a bad attack of impetigo and my mom had to give my brother and i bleached baths

Impetigo is probably at the worse high end of staph type infections ... if the kids have a bit of pimple or diaper rash i think bleaching at that point would be a bit unnecessary ... im suprised the doctor would reccomend that .. did the mother say anything about staph infection?

i found some sights on the internet and most say no more then1/4 cup of bleach to FULL bath .. so im kinda curious how much she told you to put in too ..

sounds like she either googled the home remedy herself and the doctor said it would help perhaps ?

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 09:17PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: December 10, 2008 09:31PM

I have to agree with rawangel in that my eyebrows shot up too when I read bleach. Granted it was a cup to a bathtub (give or take) of water and that would generate a dilutional effect. But it still does seem odd. If it helps in your "argument" strong acids and strong bases (bleach is a very strong base) are mutagenic - meaning they cause changes to the DNA in male and female reproductive organs. I only know this because I just led the chemical hygiene training for groups of colleagues in my company.

Bleach and other strong bases cause the bi-lipid layer of your skin to turn inside out which is why your hands have a very slippery feeling when you touch bleach or drain cleaners (also strong bases). Oh, as an aside, most bar soaps are basic - hence the slipperiness.

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 10, 2008 09:42PM

That's about 0.00935%, twice as strong as chlorinated pool water. Not a big deal unless the kid is allergic.

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: December 10, 2008 10:47PM

Yeah,unfortunately this didn't shock me in the slightest either. I've known parents who do this and it's not that uncommon of a practice. I don't believe it's healthful and bleach is toxic, but it's "normal." You'd be laughed at if you reported it.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 10, 2008 11:17PM

I agree that bleach is a strong chemical and to be avoided. If she brings this up again a possible alternative might be to suggest adding some hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to the bath water. Information about this can be found in the book "The Unmedical Miracle - OXYGEN" by Elizabeth Baker, copyright 1991. I applaud you for asserting yourself.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: December 10, 2008 11:42PM

PS to my post above.

I just googled Elizabeth Baker to see if her books are still available and I found an interesting article about her: [findarticles.com]
This article is not about this thread topic but if anyone is an Elizabeth Baker fan the article is very interesting.

Posted by: SurfinBird ()
Date: December 11, 2008 12:45AM

Although I agree with all previous posters, I don't think people quite realize how much chlorine is already in unfiltered drinking/bathing water. Seriously, nobody should be showering under un-filtered municiple water, yet basically everyone is! Get a shower filter people, your body, hair, and skin will thank you!

Here is a little video that some of you might find interesting (kind of long):

[video.google.com]

But anyways, I think it's ridiculous to bath in bleached water. I don't like swimming pools either. Chlorine is such a horrible chemical. I'm proud of you Megan that you stood up against doing that at risk of losing your position because of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2008 12:47AM by SurfinBird.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 11, 2008 12:53AM

That is so awesome you refused.

Once a guy asked me if I would microwave a baby bottle for a few secinds when I was at work. I said NO WAY ARE YOU CRAZY???? It gave the guy something to think about.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: December 11, 2008 04:03PM

Thank you everyone for your helpfull replies. She hasn't brought up the issue again or taken me up on the alternatives I suggested.
I am just going to stand my ground and do things my way and if she doesn't like it she can fire me (which secretely I wouldn't mind).

On a more positive note, I just got a pound of organic raspberries that I am going to start this day with, mmmm.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 11, 2008 06:18PM

well, what bleach does is basically melt off your skin - it was probably recommended to get rid of the dead skin of the rash or something? No one should jump to conclusions and say it's cruel, i'm sure that's not what the doctor or the mother intended to do to her children.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 11, 2008 07:01PM

I hear your concerns. My personal opinion is that one should follow a parents wishes and do one's assigned tasks (as an employee) unless those tasks are patently illegal / immoral / abusive. I mean....crap.....you could NOT do it....get fired....and the woman would just do it anyway the moment you walk out the door....and not much gets actually accomplished (which is how I personally judge actions). If you DO think something is illegal or abusive, then certainly the parent should be reported to child/protective services. If you do not, then a person would either add the bleach as instructed....or refuse and be prepared to get another job on moral grounds. Power and success to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 12, 2008 08:56AM

diluted tea tree oil would be a better option

tell her to buy it though

and give her some literature

if she doesn't care

then... she doesn't care

the ball is in your court at this point

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2008 04:10PM

why not contact the bleach manufacturer and ask them? they would almost assuredly tell you Not to do it and then you wouldn't have to argue with the woman or risk her doing it herself.
when in doubt i always call the authority to be sure. i also use my common sense (who bleaches a baby? you aren't even suppost to get that on your skin at all!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables