Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone ever experienced...( workplace and toxicity)
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 28, 2008 02:46PM

has anyone ever had to work in a field that required compromising one's physical health :

such as construction, working in a lab, painting, printing shop, haz mat ( hazardous material), dentistry ( mercury vapors) ,being in a "sick" building with either radiation, asbestos etc. or even unsafe sound levels ( sound pollution.. lot of people who work with machinery or even military experience this) , vaccination requirements

If so, what were the effects on your body?
What did you do to modify, change, or leave?
Did you do any advocacy work on your behalf?

How did you feel about the effects, modifications , entire process etc.?

I sometimes think ( or rather, I know) that we live in the dark ages. totally medieval.... I know changes have been implemented and at least there is OSHA etc. but still.... the fact that certain chemicals have not even been outlawed in the workplace is a shame.

A lot of jobs in the health field also require that the practitioner gets vaccinated for tuberculosis. I read of how one school girl died after she got vaccinated and put on a "treatment program to prevent tuberculosis" even though she did not have Tuberulosis to begin with in the first place.

There was also this article ( think it was posted on this forum) that said this woman gave up a job that was extremely lucrative ( high six figure income) because all of a sudden, she was required to be vaccinated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone ever experienced...( workplace and toxicity)
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2008 03:03PM

Yes. When I was young I worked with various organic solvents, not directly, as I wasn't a tech back then, but as overseer, and 25 years later as a part-time lab tech I do a lot of work with xylene and formalin.

I don't care.

I think my diet protects me a little bit, and it isn't every day that I am exposed to it. Plus I need the money.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:19PM

A few years ago, I worked at a high end restaurant in Detroit, where OSHA violations were numerous to an almost comical degree[actually, many of the food services I've worked have been physically hazardous environments]. I worked as a pastry cook, and I also had to plate desserts for service. My station was next to the rather dilapidated old convection ovens, and various of us would complain after a long shift that we felt unwell; nothing specific, just foggy and a bit weak. It's normal to feel tired after a night of hustling in a busy kitchen, but this was different. Imagine our surprise when one of our sous chefs had the ovens tested on the sly and found they were leaking small amounts of carbon monoxide into the kitchen! When she told the owner, he looked terrified, but apart from fixing the hinge on one of the doors so it closed more tightly, he didn't really fix anything. Par for the course, I'm afraid, for the restaurant industry. There's this belief, not unfounded, that Mr. OSHA and Mr. Health Department[as we call them] can be bought off. To their credit, the people in charge of that kitchen insisted we move around a lot and take breaks out in the hallway. We'd have opened a window, but the restaurant was a converted historic home with valuable things, including copper piping inside, so the windows had long since been nailed shut. And covered with heavy black acrylic paneling--on the inside--as if to prevent all other modes of egress in the event of a fire. Nice, huh? I laugh and laugh . . .

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:23PM

Yeah, LaV; last year they carpeted the building across the street that is occasionally used for dinner functions. The carpet was offgassing badly, and within a couple of minutes I was feeling terrible. My supervisor let me switch places with another server who was in our main building and doesn't schedule me there any more.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:39PM

Yep, presently work in London, which is much more polluted than back in Durham. I notice I get black soot type stuff in my mucus from riding the tube, as does everyone else that uses it regularly for commuting. that's something I'm not very happy about. Our offices are very central, and very noisy too. I often have to listen to music to drown out this background noise so I can focus. We are actually housed in a building that used to be a theatre, which is quite cool in a way, but also not very modern in some ways. The office is quite stuffy sometimes, I can tell the difference in breathing the air there compared to back in Durham, so I suggested we acquire some plants, as air purifiers. Also, suggested we acquire a water filter since the water from the tap there does not look or taste too good to be honest. Both these things are on the "To buy" list, so should be happening soon. Apart from that I personally think the most important aspect in a working environment is the human environment, and that is good. I don't think there's any harm in politely explaining whatever your concerns are in a work environment, especially in relation to health and safety.

Cheers,
J

Date: December 28, 2008 04:55PM

arugula

is it possible to request that these procedures be done under the ventilated hood?

Tamukha

working in the kitchen of a restaurant especially if the equipment is old is like working in a landmine. a lot of the burners are old and the piping have hairline cracks in them that continue to leak and leak.. very difficult to detect but it is extremely prevalent.... this is not to mention all the cleaning agents that are involved in cleaning surfaces, floors, dishes, etc. I guess it is only funny in retrospect because the violations were so egregious. At the time, however... there is nothing funny about it. I'm glad u have a sense of humor though.

Sundancer,

I'm very proud of you for communicating to your supervisor that working in those conditions were unacceptable. Good for you that you succeeded in moving to another place. Sometimes the solution is quite simple. Yay!!
Jose,

I really feel for you especially when you talked about the black soot. It is easy for someone to say " just change jobs" but its not very easy if you have invested a lot of time, energy etc. of your life in order to be in that place/position.
I feel heartened hearing that you were able to broach management concerning attaining plants ( excellent idea) and acquiring a water filter.

Hmmm... I wonder what can be done about the soot though. I also agree with you in that the human environment is extremely important especially when you need their cooperation in making modifications to the working environment.

Thanks everyone for posting. Would love to hear more. I have had to do a bit of advocacy myself in the past concerning certain issues ( ex: lots of chemicals were sprayed in the buildings etc. ) and sometimes it can be overwhelming trying to decide what to do, what tone to take, being perceived as someone who is sincerely concerned about basic health matters and willing to work together for a logical solution rather than someone who is potentially litigious ( not my style)... the list goes on and on especially when there are multiple factors involved. At any rate, there is hope... and it all boils down to taking personal responsibility .... but it sure is hard sometimes ...and it also takes a lot of courage.

Date: December 28, 2008 05:06PM

I also think that toxicity in the workplace is one of the most glaring examples of human vulnerability. Its how we make a living and its not so easy to just "leave" or "change jobs" especially with the realization that if the field is the "same", then the conditions could also be the same.

This is especially true in the field of construction, working in labs, restaurant environments , dentistry ( all the mercury vapors involved when a dentist takes out a filling that has gone bad.... should she /he simply "change" or "switch" their career especially if they have mounds and mounds of debt still from med school?

I believe that the tide is turning slowly but surely and it is up to us as trailblazers to make those changes. There is no one who is more concerned or passionate about making environmental changes than those who have made a consistent effort to keep one's own internal environment ( via health measures, raw foods etc) in a mode of "integrity". Then, when environmental conditions violate the integrity of one's hard earned health, we are more motivated than most people.

I am going through some challenges right now... and truth be known, it kind of breaks my heart. I am honestly overwhelmed. I don't wish to get into all the details because it brings up too many issues of what I have had to face in the past and would rather not broach those issues. The long and the short of it is that I am going to have to do some heavy duty advocacy. I'm a bit scared and at the same time I am also confident that I can clearly communicate my needs and make it evident that the modifications will benefit everyone else and not only myself. The problem is that it brings up a lot of emotional issues. Sometimes environmental violations can feel like "abuse" and fighting for one's rights dredges up memories of not being able to do so... or not being taken seriously... or even worse ( being completely disregarded). I know these are childhood issues and I am an adult now and have even had a bit of experience in advocacy and a few successes as well but it still is hard every single time. Perhaps the more I do it, the more confidence I will build so that I can reach a point where I will have no problems advocating for anything without feeling scared or feeling like giving up because the problems are too overwhelming.

Date: December 28, 2008 05:18PM

[arugula

is it possible to request that these procedures be done under the ventilated hood? ]

Some of them, yes, in fact that's standard operating procedure. But for others it isn't possible, like when we are cleaning out the buckets from the staining machine.

[ The long and the short of it is that I am going to have to do some heavy duty advocacy. ]

I don't know what it is exactly and I wish you the best but I don't want to see you doing anything that would jeopardize your position, especially with this economy. Poverty is horrible.

Is there some adjunct issue that you could work on in your free time, as a volunteer or something, to deflect the internal pressure you are feeling?

I think that the more vocal and successful advocates don't really care what people think of them, they care so much more about the problem. I have never been able to put myself in that selfless mode, there is always some core of worrying about how I will be perceived or labeled as a nutjob or annoying or touched or unemployable or whatever. I'd rather be seen as passionate but reasonable. I used to think this was giving in but now I see it as survival. This is after nearly a decade of poverty which I am only just coming out of.

Date: December 28, 2008 05:38PM

Someone told me something that made me feel great. She said that perhaps I was put in that situation in order to help others who work there and people who will work there in the future.

It gave me a new perspective on how I approached this. Instead of cowering at the idea of having to 'disturb" others, I can also choose to see myself as a light bearer... holding my head proudly and doing service for myself and others in a fashion that is respectful as well as deeply meaningful.

I feel that as long as my intent is good ( which it is) there is no way that I can truly fail. The only way I can fail is to fail to take action and I'm no failure. LOL smiling smiley

I have always regarded myself as highly successful ( not in the sense of being a Donald Trump or a Bill Gates or anything like that) because I have taken action that i believed in and gone through great lengths to fulfill my personal dreams over and over again.

I'm going to make this advocacy "project" just another one of my dreams. If I see it this way, I am more motivated.

Date: December 28, 2008 05:48PM

arugula:

<< Some of them, yes, in fact that's standard operating procedure. But for others it isn't possible, like when we are cleaning out the buckets from the staining machine.>>

If no one is watching, I suggest that you use:

1) cold water so you won't be breathing the ultra toxic chemical vapors
2) using goggles that fit airtight around the eyes and not simply the ones that look like "glasses" but do not offer the airtight "surround" affect. If you wear glasses, take them off and use the airtight goggles. Use your remaining vision and "feel" of the equipment so that the chemical fumes do not disturb the cornea or cause cataracts. You can always put your glasses back on afterwards. ( Not sure if you have glasses but I think you mentioned in one thread something about your vision etc.)
3) use an alternative cleaning solution ( do some research). If the cleaning solution that you presently use is odorless but toxic, you could try pouring it all out and pouring in the alternative solution that is non toxic into the same receptacle and using that.
4) cleaning it near a window or open door
5) cleaning it as quickly as possible while holding your breathe and when you run out of breathe, simply get away from it and come back to it

If the chemical that is used to clean the buckets DOES have a strong discernible odor, then simply don't use it and use water instead. No one will know unless they are there looking over your shoulder. The replacing the chemical with another one only works if the previous chemical is odorless and has the same color/appearance. You may have to do a bit of research to figure out an alternative solution that WILL work to get out the stains etc.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 28, 2008 05:57PM

I think the most overlooked workplace (and public) toxicity is perfumes. Perfumes/fragrances in the products that we use daily. Shampoo, laundry detergent, soap, etc are filled with toxic airborne neurological chemicals.

I once had to quit riding in a vanpool because one of the men wore a horrible cologne that would make my eyes burn, nose burn, and throat to swell. I politely asked if he would stop wearing it or at the very least wait until he got to work to apply it so that it didn't affect the vanpool passengers and he told me straight up NO. By the time I arrived at work in the mornings I was sick and nauseous -- so I had no choice but to quit the vanpool and drive to work. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 06:01PM by RocketShip.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 28, 2008 07:32PM

la_veronique,

I don't know you but I have faith in you. Remember that every time you make a decision, you are enacting a great privelege granted you by the Universe to entirely controvert every other experience from earliest childhood that you think determines who you are. Sometimes this is the right way to see it; sometimes it's detrimental. Sounds like it's the former for you now. If you believe you are capable of achieving the object of your advocacy, or at least of effectively advocating, then you have already realized this object or advocacy in your mind. Or put it another way, in an alternate reality, the thing is done and la_veronique is victorious. All that remains is to actualize it in this "here." Whatever you are responsible for, you will attain. All else is up to other forces to determine. I wish you success!

Date: December 28, 2008 08:24PM

rocketship

at least u had the courage to ask the guy to
1) not wear cologne
2) not put it on until AFTER his van ride

You did your very best in that situation. I am proud of you.

Tamukha

<<I don't know you but I have faith in you>>

Thank you. I have a vast amount of faith in myself as well.

<<Sounds like it's the former for you now. If you believe you are capable of achieving the object of your advocacy, or at least of effectively advocating, then you have already realized this object or advocacy in your mind. Or put it another way, in an alternate reality, the thing is done and la_veronique is victorious>>

True, coming to the decision to challenge an entire department is not easy but I have already drafted an outline and have laid out a lot of details as to how the department can take action. In this fashion, they can see that i am

1)serious about it
2) willing to do the research
3) willing to make it as easy for them as possible to implement the changes

<<Remember that every time you make a decision, you are enacting a great privelege granted you by the Universe to entirely controvert every other experience from earliest childhood that you think determines who you are.>>

Wow, how beautifully you put it. I agree ABSOLUTELY!! It is so true and this is one of the reasons why I continue to have faith in myself because there have been several times in the past where I have had to challenge certain decisions and even though I did not succeed ALL of the time in getting the results, I did succeed 100% of the time in putting out my best effort. The rest was not up to me. I need to look back on my past efforts to encourage my present efforts. Thank you for reminding me that karmic perceptions and karma itself is modified, changed and altered by what we do in our present circumstances. I believe it. In fact, I know it to be incontrovertibly true.

Thank you for wishing me the best. I definetely could use all and any help in receiving spiritual/emotional/mental support.

THANK YA!!

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: December 28, 2008 11:29PM

Hey veronique,

What you're dealing with sounds pretty serious, wish you all the best. Let me know if you need any more brainstorming or something. I can't really do much with the black soot at the moment, but I think next year I will move slightly closer to work, and start biking there. Lots of people do that already, its quite a cool place to work in that way. Our financial controller told me that there are also tax breaks for cycling to work, so that's good too! smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Date: December 29, 2008 07:12AM

Hey jose,

thanks for the support smiling smiley
i needed it

I'm glad that you have thought of moving closer to work and riding your bike
and its cool that there are tax breaks as well ( WOW!)

i think plants ought to be in every building
just to offset the fact that most places don't even have windows that open anymore
plants remind us that we are part of the

L
I
V
I
N
G

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: December 29, 2008 08:04AM

yeah ALOT of the above I've been exposed to working various construction type jobs

In the past few years i'm certainly more conscious about such things but ocassionally yeah..I have to make a financial decision..or i'm already at a site and have to do a certain job. I'm also an artist..so periodically I'll use some toxic stuff but I try to keep things clean as possible.

some of the worst things:

heat gunning and scraping old lead paint.
breathing all kinds of dust including fresh wood dust which isn't as nice as it sounds
various vapors, paints and solvents sometimes in enclosed spaces
I used to make sculptures where I used a hot glue gun on foamcore and it would melt (this was MANY years ago) anyone need a recipe for black mucus?

I don't really see diet as much in terms of 'protection'

I think if you are involved in a cleansing lifestyle that includes vegetable juices and some kind of internal cleansing and vigorous exercise and yoga you can work out some of the junk, maybe most....at a certain point however...you start to become far too clean. so generally I start eating more dense foods in these circumstances as opposed to trying to 'detox out'...knowling that my long term goals I won't have to participate in unhealthful practices

one thing that is sure to help with any kind of direct exposure to chemicals absorbed or inhaled is with a infrared sauna..I've had good results with them and a friend told me he had a few 911 cleanup folk using his and it did wonders.

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: December 29, 2008 08:10PM

My worst workplace toxicity is the damn breaths of the meateaters and cooked foodists! I'm tired of holding my breath in when they are talking to me. Some of them don't even need to speak, they just walk by and I start swooning.

Oh mighty OSHA, where art thou?

Date: December 30, 2008 02:48AM

hi anaken

can u tell me more about the infrared sauna thing?
i never tried it except once in conjunction with acupuncture
i just remember it feeling 'warm"
the acupuncturist told me that it helps the effects of the acupuncture ... makes it more profound i guess

geeez. that's a lot of vapors chemicals etc. i wince thinking about the lead paint scraping

well, i did make some inroads though there was quite a bit of resistance
but for me it was a day of "some" victory ( hey... rome wasn't built in a day)
at least i stated my case clearly, gently but firmly

my inner adult thanked me for it LOL smiling smiley

hey brian

tooo funnysmiling smiley

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: December 30, 2008 04:59AM

sure

I can tell you I know very little of the (raw) science of it. If you are curious you might try Fred Bisci's literature because I know he's a big proponent of them. one major obvious difference is the temperature is far lower but you begin sweating far quicker.

from a quick surface examination on wiki:
[en.wikipedia.org]

"The radiation hits the surface of the body and heats through a process called conversion, instead of heating the air around you."

not this year, but in the past I'v sauned regularly for years as part of my workout..these are great for run of the mill stuff along with an already lymph cleansing exercise routine

Russian baths (especially the cold plunge and oak leaf beatings lol) are also a good thing to do periodically as a raw foodist.

but if you want to get down in there to the deep cellular waste you hang out in the infrared with a copy of Arnold Ehret

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 30, 2008 10:28AM

anaken Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
>
> but if you want to get down in there to the deep
> cellular waste you hang out in the infrared with a
> copy of Arnold Ehret

Yes! LOL!

LaVeronique, sorry to hear about what you and others are going through.

My worst trouble was when I worked in a nursery warehouse. My boss had 2 huge greenhouses that supplied plants for many of the the local nurseries and businesses.

When I got the job, I told my boss that I would work very hard, but I'd never spray the chemicals. He agreed to that. It was mostly women and Mexican illegal aliens who worked there, and he'd hired another guy to come in and spray, plus spread Temik.

The Temik was the worst. It smelled OK, kind of like chicken soup, but it was extremely dangerous. It wasn't a spray. It was granules that were dispensed onto the soil inside each pot. In addition to the usual warnings like "wear protective clothing" etc., the label warned that even though the granules didn't touch the plants, the PLANTS should not be TOUCHED by human hands for a MONTH.

Temik was the chemical that Caesar Chavez was protesting when he fasted for 25 days and called for a grape embargo to bring attention to the health rights of fruit-pickers in 1968. Temik is linked to birth defects, brain and nerve damage, kidney damage, and cancer.

Well, the guy that was supposed to do the spraying got fired, so now it fell on the Mexicans and us women. I did the Temik once, and didn't feel anything, but my nose bled (which it never does). I was worried about the Mexicans because I didn't speak Spanish to warn them not to touch the plants. We were all always pulling off dead leaves. I wanted to put up "Do Not Touch" signs on the tables where all the Temik plants were, but the head Mexican guy told me that none of them could read Spanish or English anyway. (They were from deep down Mexican jungle).

Well, it turned out OK for them I guess, because soon afterward all the Mexicans just up and quit. But then it left only us women to do all the spraying. I still refused to spray, and got fired for it.

I guess that's always a possibility whenever you have to deal with this kind of thing. Good luck LaVeronique! Be brave if it feels right, and remember Cesar Chavez!

Date: December 31, 2008 12:00AM

hi anaken

LOL smiling smiley Yeah, I luv Ehret... he's the best! Muculess diet TOTALLLY rawcked!
thanks for info on the infrared stuff. looks rEAAAlly interesting

suncloud

the Temik sound sscarrrrrrry as heck
your NOSE BLED??? wow......!!!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:31PM

Wow, great stories al of you. The way this is threaded I cannot respond individually, but wow.

For me, it has just been being around coffee, donuts, cuban food, dark cubicles, pizza, and work parties at steakhouses. Having to make food runs to Subway.Nothing traumatic.

Date: January 01, 2009 07:44PM

<< making food runs to Subway>>

LOL HA HA!!

funny Suvinesmiling smiley

mebbe u could make a franchise which is a raw vegan subway
that would be too cool smiling smiley

Date: January 01, 2009 09:29PM

You can get a raw meal at subway, a salad and bring your own dressing.

But it comes with a lot of plastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables