Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is Hydrogen Peroxide Safe?
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: July 08, 2010 07:54AM

I've been reading in Mildred Carter's books on reflexology to use hydrogen peroxide to rinse the teeth. Quote from the books:

"You will never have a fresher-feeling mouth or whiter teeth. The salt cleans and hardens the gums and the soda polishes the teeth "harmlessly." After brushing, rinse with hydrogen peroxide to whiten your teeth and clean your gums. Peroxide kills germs, which helps your mouth stay healthy. My children had perfect teeth until they left home and turned to the use of toothpastes ..."

I'm not too sure I want to use hydrogen peroxide, I was wondering if anyone has used it for tooth care for a long time and if there are any similar alternatives? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Hydrogen Peroxide Safe?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 08, 2010 08:59AM

Its safe as long as you don't swallow, chemically speaking its not toxic, it would just play havoc with your insides because of its composition, I tried it once, I could not stand the flavor, but it IS very effective...

*After reading how he has stated his opinion, and thinking of how horrible it could be taken out of context, instead of changing it, he waits patiently for the absolutely horrible puns to inevitably follow*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 08, 2010 03:55PM

If I rinse my mouth out with over the counter peroxide, I always dilute with water first, as it can be caustic and I assume that means it can result in microscopic etching of the enamel, weakening it over time. I don't typically use food grade as a dental rinse, as it IS extremely caustic, even when diluted. My dental regimen is simple and seems to work without a lot of fuss, though.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 08, 2010 07:09PM

tis true
the grade ( dilution)

matters a great deal

strong concentration= stronger effect but must be VERY careful of the fact ( like tamukha pointed out) that it IS caustic

weak concentration: still effective, less caustic

kinda like fire... know HOW to play with it and within WHAT bounds

to be efficacious and safe

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2010 10:49PM

I don't think it's a good thing. I know people swear by it but it seems unneccessary to me. When you use that stuff it turns your fingers white, ever notice that? It's like eating your skin off. How can that be a good thing? I dunno, not for me though.

Date: July 08, 2010 11:11PM

hmmm, I use it in my pits to kill bacteria, keeps me from stinking... and Ive done that for a long time... pits are the same color they have always been, and my skin has not been eaten off... maybe different people have different tolerances for its caustic effects?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 09, 2010 12:01AM

I use rubbing alcohol for that every now and then (I don't sweat much). I use peroxide to bleach laundry smiling smiley.

Date: July 09, 2010 12:58AM

yikes, I tried that, Im really sensitive to rubbing alcohol, it makes my skin burn a little and the smell makes me feel really sick... I do carry a spray bottle of it around with me though for use in public restrooms...lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 09, 2010 01:16AM

That's a great idea, better than wasting wipes every time one of the kids has to sit down. I hover winking smiley.

Date: July 09, 2010 03:21AM

yeah, it really helps knowing your not gonna catch HIV from your toilet seat (I know I know, you cant actually catch HIV from a toilet seat, its a joke,lol)

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 09, 2010 04:58AM

Well, you can get scabies. Amoung other things. That's not so funny tongue sticking out smiley

Date: July 09, 2010 05:36AM

yeah... and Hepatitis B or C if the person had an open sore, or got fecal matter on the seat, and you didnt notice, and also had some kinda sore or abrasion on your butt...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: July 17, 2010 06:50PM

A spray bottle of rubbing alcholhol! What do you put it in so that it doesn't leak?

Thanks eveyone for your replies, I've decided to put the HP in my water pick, that seems diluted enough.

Date: July 17, 2010 08:08PM

You can buy small perfume atomizers in a few places. I know the Bodyshop used to carry them. Or just recycle something that doesn't leak that you have now.

Date: July 17, 2010 10:04PM

I use a bottle that originally contained energy spray, it has never leaked on me yet...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: angelpie ()
Date: August 10, 2010 02:33PM

Hello ~
I have read that hydrogen peroxide is very good for rinsing out your mouth UNLESS you have fillings. The peroxide reacts with the fillings and releases mercury into the mouth and the blood stream.
Melissa Halsted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables