Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A mouse in the house
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 18, 2011 08:30PM

A mouse has recently been spotted in the house! My mil got some poison and put it under the sink, and got a mouse trap. My partner blames my sprouting containers in my room as attracting them, even though it was spotted in the kitchen. The bowl of fruit has also come under scrutiny. I told them its probably more attracted to bread crumbs and cake crumbs from when the kids eat. We keep the kitchen and house in general very clean.

I pointed out that the tenant living up above has many, many containers of crackers and noodles etc in her pantry. The last time I saw her place, the floor sticks when you walk accross it. I imagine thats the real draw, also the deli below, which is really a mess. I she totally agreed, but still my partner and mil have been a bit more watchful for any mess. My partner loaded peanut butter into the traps, and nothing yet. I rather liked the live trap I had in california, so it could be released elsewhere. Any suggestions for safely repelling mice from the house?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A mouse in the house
Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: May 18, 2011 08:44PM

A good hunting cat. I live in the country. Every hole in the house needs to be closed so that no critters get into the walls, especially as the weather cools (I know, wrong time of year). Seriously, you need to seal every hole.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 19, 2011 02:22AM

Mice don't eat sprouts. Mice like calorie dense food. Sheesh! It's that time of year when they aren't seeking confinement near humans, so the draw is ready food, rather than warmth, as in winter. Clean the place up, make food impossible to come by, and the mice will amscray. Good luck!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 19, 2011 01:36PM

Ewww!
I have been in my house for 5 yrs now and have never seen a mouse,or roach.
Got ants though.
Every spring they gotta get all over my counter tops.
Drives me nuts.

Vinny

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 19, 2011 08:30PM

Her grand daughter was sweeping the floor last night. I made some comment on how cute she was, and how she was making the kitchen mouse free. That comment didn't go over well at all. MIL got angry, however her grand daughter thought it was funny. MIL thought she would get afraid, but she said she wasn't afraid of a mouse. I will try not to mention it again if I can.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 19, 2011 10:50PM

Here's a mouse story...

When we built our house in NZ I had the builders put a "mouse house" in the baseboard and a 12" X 12" "room" in the wall - like the kind of hole you see on Tom and Jerry cartoons - and I furnished it with doll house furniture. I had the electrician put in an electric light. It was great fun when children came to visit. They loved looking inside at all of the furniture and personal belongings of the (imaginary) mouse that "lived" there. But somehow she always happened to be out when they came by. I'd tell them that she was at the library because she loves to read or that she was out picking strawberries, etc. I had done this in a previous house and adults enjoyed it too. My sister sent a tiny framed picture of Mickey Mouse and even made a dart board with a cat face on it.

However, before the house was sealed in one of the builders said he saw a REAL mouse go in the hole. Ack! That wasn't supposed to happen. Fortunately, it made like Elvis and left the building.

One last story about it - when the carpet layers were there, one of them happened to notice the mouse house and I saw him taking a picture of it with his phone camera and send it to a friend. His friend thought it was a photo of a real room!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 20, 2011 03:04AM

mint mint and lots of mint ... fresh is best .. mint oil is 2nd best .. mice hate the smell of mint !

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: May 20, 2011 10:02AM

got some poison and put it under the sink.

I think the problem with poison is its killing wont stop with just the mouse.
Some poisons keep killing for years after, food chain envirment.
electrocution traps are on the market, also a simple orgainc remedy-
for free- a small bucket, with a string hanging from above into center of bucketwith penut butter, a small ramp for mouse to walk up, mouse will jump
for string with penut butter fall in bucket you can then take it for walk set it free or put water in bucket first and drown mouse. The poisons on the market today are nasty and cause death with much suffering.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:13PM

Trive, that's the cutest story! Such great whimsy.

I second the cat as a great way to get rid of mice. We moved into a house that the previous owners had been trying to get rid of a mouse for 6 months with traps and poisons. When we moved in we threw out all of the traps and poison and got a cat from the shelter. She caught the mouse the second day we had her.

Vermontnl's other suggestion of plugging up any holes for prevention was also good. Steel wool is a good stopper. Air can get through the porous material and the mice leave it alone because it messes up their digestive tracts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 12:19PM by veghunter.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2011 12:34PM

BILL! Please buddy, this is a vegan site. Let's include the killing of any animals in the restricted topic category. That was upsetting to read my friend.

Check out this EXCELLENT mouse trap! Remember that they can jump quite high so I recommend using a full sized garbage can for this.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's a simpler version that requires no building and minimal supplies. To get the tube stable just flatten one side a bit.
[www.youtube.com]

Remember that mice can find their way back to your house very easily no matter where you take them. They have to be over 2 miles away when you drop them off, just delivering them to the neighbour's yard is not enough winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 12:34PM by coco.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: June 15, 2011 03:04AM

[www.amazon.com]

I just caught a mouse today using this mouse trap which I bought at WallMart. I put the mouse in a big clear plastic container and the kids are going wild looking at it. Poor Mouse. Soon we'll take the mouse to a dump point out in a woodsey area. We dump in the same spot so that hopefully they'll find each other again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables