Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Whole Fraud, Exposing the Myth of So-Called Natural Foods ~ an article
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2012 03:46PM

[www.counterpunch.org]

"Routinely contained in nearly every bite or swallow of non-organic industrial food are genetically engineered ingredients, pesticides, antibiotics and other animal drug residues, pathogens, feces, hormone-disrupting chemicals, toxic sludge, slaughterhouse waste, chemical additives and preservatives, irradiation-derived radiolytic chemical by-products, and a host of other hazardous allergens and toxins."

Yuck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whole Fraud, Exposing the Myth of So-Called Natural Foods ~ an article
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 17, 2012 04:26PM

This sounds like it's unfairly targeting WF and TJ's. If you are at a co-op or other indie health store, you will see the same products on shelves labeled natural versus organic. I don't buy stuff that is not organic without knowing that the label is meaningless.

But I have to say that I do like that the natural items don't contain HFCS or artifical colors and flavors. We really shouldn't be eating out of boxes in the first place!

Date: February 17, 2012 04:31PM

I agree eating from cans and boxes is lunacy. WF is actively working to change the face of the industry though and that I find unforgivable.

Date: February 17, 2012 05:12PM

Hmmm...I will have to thoroughly read this article when I have the time. My problem is that they are the only natural foods store in my town. There's a very small one (without fresh produce) not too far but the prices are much higher and there's not much selection. I buy a lot of produce at the produce store. My main trips to WF are for organic items that I cannot get nearby. I COULD travel south to my old place of employment...it's another hike, though. Their prices are pretty decent on many items. Maybe it's time to cut the cord with WFsmiling smiley

Date: February 17, 2012 05:17PM

It's like trying to never shop at Malwart, very difficult. When it's the only source for many things you're sort of stuck. We did that to ourselves though with our endless pursuit of the lowest price. Sigh, frustrating.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 17, 2012 05:51PM

I buy organic produce from a local market.
Anything thats not from that market is a local farmers stand.
Dont know what else to do other than that.

Vinny

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: March 09, 2012 05:35PM

I purchase all my organic produce from WF. There are no other choices in the winter months in my area. I like the store. I don't shop at Wallmart as I don't find myself in the endless pursuit of the lowest price.

Date: March 09, 2012 06:24PM

Molli, did you read the article? I appreciate that you don't have another source for organics etc but I think there's a difference between utilizing what's necessary and actually liking the store just because it's all there is, you know? Who better to be critical of their practices than somebody who actually supports them with their dollars? You're voice is exactly the one they need to hear, I already don't shop there smiling smiley.

Date: March 09, 2012 06:44PM

One thing that I dislike is that WF appears to be trying to squeeze out other labels by having products under their own label and then not carrying the alternative brands. An example of this is White Wave tofu, which I really liked for its firmness. WF stopped carrying it and had their own, which I didn't like as much. But then I discovered TJ's sprouted tofu and stopped buying it from WF!

One of the unfortunate realities of big companies like WF is that they wield lots of power and power corrupts. I don't like many of their policies (including charging and arm and a leg for most conventional produce, which is inexcuseable), but on the other hand, I remember going vedge in 1985 and trying to buy stuff in the health store and how expensive and difficult it was to find reasonably priced items. I recall thinking there should be a big supermarket-sized health store so the prices would go down! Eden Foods is a great company which I happily support and WF just happens to be the only place nearby where I can buy their products.smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 09, 2012 07:21PM

How dare we consumers demand that natural grocers actually practice what they purport to preach--how DARE we! eye rolling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables