Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Another computer question
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 02, 2012 05:28PM

I thought I had posted this already...Oy...

So I spilled coffee on my laptop keyboard the other day. Finally started up again the next day. However, when I type it seems to lock up right away. The screen freezes, the right-click button and list display and it only goes away when I press escape, but then the page is still frozen...

I am wondering if there is something I can do, other than taking it in for repair, of course. God knows how much that would cost and this was a used computer (and in great condition until my brilliant movesad smiley )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another computer question
Date: April 02, 2012 06:55PM

Just to add to my OP, I have gone online and Googled this issue. It's like the right-click will pop up while I am typing (while online--I haven't tried typing within a Word document). Then it's like it freezes--can't get out of the right-click display unless I hit escape and can't post anything afterwards because the screen is frozen and unresponsive. Hitting F5 doesn't do squat except give the illusion of reloading. But still frozen sad smiley

Any insight would be helpful. I am a newbie, to say the least.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 02, 2012 07:05PM

Sounds like stuff is sticky. I don't know how or even if you can clean that yourself but best of luck. What a bummer...

Date: April 02, 2012 07:22PM

Coco, someone told me in the library this morning that there's this spray for Macs (mine isn't one but it should work, right?). It would make sense that a rubbing alcohol type of spray would be good because it breaks up stickiness plus dries up the moisture.

I was wondering if it's sticking. Weird thing is that re-booting it brings it back but it freezes very soon afterwards. However, if I keep doing it over and over it sometimes will work for a longer time so maybe it does have to do with being sticky and the constant pressing unsticks it finally.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: April 02, 2012 08:06PM

I brought a phone back to life that had tea spilled on it. Take it apart as much as you dare or leave together. Set up a hair dryer or air popcorn popper to blow hot air on it. Keep the distance so the laptop is just kept warm with the blowing air; too hot and it will fry.

Date: April 02, 2012 08:15PM

Maybe there's wet inside shorting something out. I've read about putting a cell phone that's gotten wet into a container of dried rice, that's supposed to wick all the moisture away.

Date: April 02, 2012 08:17PM

Here's another way to dry it out:

Suspend laptop, keyboard down, over any heat source, like a burner on the stove. Keep the heat on low and the distance great enough so that it doesn't get hot, just warm is good.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: April 02, 2012 08:36PM

I believe the majority of keyboards can be submerged in water,and will be fine once they dry out real good??

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: April 02, 2012 09:28PM

isopropyl alcohol 50% or 70% has a small percent of water mixed with the alcohol so it will evaporate quickly and have a certain amount of solubility for dissolving anything "sticky like milk or sugar.

it would be taking a chance but it might work to get several bottles of cheap alcohol at Walmart and put your computer in a basin that fits its size "snugly" and pour alcohol until keyboard is submerged. let it set for a minute orso and give it a swish and then blow it off with a can of compressed air. i wouldnt submerge the screen though. the alcohol should evaporate rather quickly with the compressed air. set it next to your air duct from the where the furnace blows warm air of use a hair dryer to complete the dry off.

i never tried this but maybe you think whould it is worth a try.

hope you get it ficxed

jj

Date: April 02, 2012 11:15PM

OMG, thanks guys! smiling smiley Juicing John, that sounds fierce. LOL- I wonder if I could use an eyedropper around the scene of the crime...I only spilled a little coffee in one section. I have no clue how to remove the keyboard; wouldn't even want to mess with it. I like the heat idea. That is kind of the thing I wanted--something where I can just fool around with solutions without having to dismantle it. I'll let you know what happens...

Date: April 03, 2012 04:50AM

Pop it in a food dryer by itself (upside down and opened up) and let it dry for 12 hours or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2012 04:51AM by brome.

Date: April 03, 2012 05:07PM

Update: It has something to do with my online activity. I don't have Internet at home, so last night I practiced typing on a manuscript I've been working on. Everything was normal (except for this annoying skipping of the cursor on the keyboard as I type eye rolling smiley). I had read that it happened with other people as a virus. I just know nothing about how to deal with a virus. One irritating thing is it won't let me on certain WIFI spots, yet others it does.

Date: April 03, 2012 08:34PM

To deal with a virus you first need to start your computer in safe mode. Here's Microsoft's instructions:

[www.microsoft.com]

here's some other easier instructions:

[www.computerhope.com]

For XP it's just tapping the F8 key as the computer starts.

Then you need to do a System Restore to return it to a time before your problems manifested:

"To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:

Log on to Windows as an administrator.
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next."

Here's Microsoft's instruction page:

[support.microsoft.com]

I twice saved my computer by these methods.

Date: April 03, 2012 09:17PM

Brome, thank you SO much. Kisses! I will tell you how it goes. I installed some sort of "free" Microsoft thing. I haven't had time to check it out. Hope I didn't screw things up more! I want to try your method.

Date: April 04, 2012 01:37PM

I needed to find some new anti-virus myself so I went thru some computer threads on my rock climbing forum. These 3 free programs stand out to combat the virus:

Microsoft Security Essentials

superantispyware

Malwarebytes

also ComboFix and Rkill for a tough problem, both free

Here's a site that explains it all:

[www.howtogeek.com]

Here're some of the climbing forum threads:

[www.supertopo.com]

[www.supertopo.com]

[www.supertopo.com]

[www.supertopo.com]

And MajorGeeks has alot of good stuff.

[majorgeeks.com]

Avira is a $27/yr anti-virus program that's highly recommended (also has a free version)

[www.avira.com]

Date: April 06, 2012 03:28PM

Thanks, Bromesmiling smiley

Update: Weird thing just happened. I went on other sites, posting and reading and didn't experience problems until I came on here. Could this site be buggy and what can I do about it? I removed Google Chrome after reading yesterday that it could be full of viruses. It seemed to be better without it and now I hit a brick wall sad smiley

Date: April 06, 2012 04:22PM

As for browsers Explorer is reputed to be the worst. Firefox I hear is good. And based on just a little reading, Chrome came out the best. This site has never given me any problem although some time ago Firefox warned that it was a danger spot.

I'm thinking the best solution may be Apple for the next computer. I hear it's immune to the security problems that plague Windows PCs.

Date: April 23, 2012 11:46PM

Ha ha BW this made me think of you. Don't know why, maybe just your current computer issues. Made me laugh anyhow grinning smiley.

[i.imgur.com]

Date: April 24, 2012 05:24PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ha ha BW this made me think of you. Don't know
> why, maybe just your current computer issues. Made
> me laugh anyhow grinning smiley.
>
> [i.imgur.com]

Tee hee...I remember when computers used to take up a whole room, too. Amazing. I contacted my laptop place and they told me to send it back and they'll send me another one (these have been refurbs). It's the fourth one, by the way...Oh well, I am glad for it anyhow.

Posted by: ivac ()
Date: April 25, 2012 01:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables