Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I know I've bugged you about this before but are you an organ donor?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2012 01:11AM

If you're using facebook it just got a little easier to sign up.

[ca.shine.yahoo.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I know I've bugged you about this before but are you an organ donor?
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 23, 2012 09:03PM

No, of course not! The almighty One who created me gave me no permission to do such a thing. When I can create organs, then I'll start giving them away.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 23, 2012 10:51PM

Horsea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, of course not! The almighty One who created me
> gave me no permission to do such a thing. When I
> can create organs, then I'll start giving them
> away.

LOL!

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: May 23, 2012 11:40PM

No. I read a book about a woman who got transplanted organs and took on the personality of the deceased donor. I do not want someone to have to deal with my cellular nature, nor do I want a donated organ.

Date: May 23, 2012 11:46PM

Wow. Well.

I remember a debate about giving blood and organs that raged on here many years ago and the sweetest girl, River Fraggle, spoke up about how grateful she was for the gift of life she'd received when she would have died otherwise. She went on to pursuit yoga and health as her passions and she was just the kindest, most lovely soul. I guess it's easier to think about donating when someone you know, even a little bit, has been saved by the generosity of another person or their family. I imagine how I would feel if it were my child or the child of a friend or relative who needed an organ to survive and how grateful I'd be if there was a way to save their life. I'm glad so many people say Yes.
That was the day, when River wrote her story, that I got off the fence and signed my card BTW, I hadn't been sure before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2012 11:47PM by coco.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 24, 2012 07:26AM

yea im kinda wow well too

im an organ donar

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 07:27AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: May 24, 2012 11:45AM

No, because I don't trust them. From what I heard, they start taking out your organs before you're really really dead, so I don't want that extra trauma when my body and my soul is already dealing with the experience and pain of dying. Dying's bad enough all by itself.

Just like how I heard your soul doesn't fully leave your body for three days after you die, so I told my people don't cremate me for three days, because I don't want my soul getting traumatized by the burning body.

Date: May 24, 2012 11:52AM

Dying is bad enough?

Is this a cultural thing, this irrational fear of the natural transition of death at the end of one's life? Goodness.

Death is as natural as breathing, it's nothing to fear. Certainly I support medical intervention to extend a young life when accident or disease has compromised an organ but... dying isn't "bad".

Date: May 24, 2012 01:22PM

coco Wrote:
> Dying is bad enough?
>
> Is this a cultural thing, this irrational fear of
> the natural transition of death at the end of
> one's life? Goodness.

Hey, enlightened you if you're not afraid of dying, but I admit that I am. Because I'll be leaving all my loved ones and never see them again - in this world - and they'll never see me again and because I don't know what's going to happen to me after I die. My biggest fear is to die in a very painful, traumatic way - like getting beat to death, or a car accident or a fire, etc. That's gonna hurt, and I don't like being in pain - that's why I'm a raw foodist - so I'll live as long as possible, and be pain-free and feel good as long as possible. I just hate being sick and in pain.

Date: May 24, 2012 01:54PM

How can you stand living in that sort of fear? To me that would be like dying that terrible, painful, stressful death in my mind over and over again! Like mentally putting myself through the very thing I so fear and wish to avoid.
That's like reliving a bad experience over and over again in thought. It's traumatic enough to have it happen once but to make it happen to myself again and again on purpose is just... crazy.
There are things we can't control in life, those are the things I try not to worry or even think about.
Do you know the Serenity Prayer?

G_d grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Date: May 24, 2012 01:54PM

coco Wrote:

Certainly I support medical intervention to
> extend a young life when accident or disease has
> compromised an organ but...

What is the cut-off age, and who decides? And why is it OK to entend "a young life" but not an older life?

Date: May 24, 2012 02:08PM

Hospitals decide this based on the chance of survival and also lifestyle factors. Someone who doesn't have a good chance of surviving the surgery (this typically means older folks) or a person who has a history of drug or alcohol abuse etc is disqualified. Now, if your relative or friend falls ill you can donate part of your liver, a kidney, bone marrow or blood specifically to them or if a family member dies you can specify to whom you wish an organ to go if you know of a match recipient who is on the transplant list but the hospital will not waste resources (donor organs) if they don't have a very good chance to save a life. There is a entire set of criteria as well, blood type matching etc.
There are way more people waiting on transplant lists than there are donors. WAY more, a lot of them are kids too. Makes me thank the Goddess every day for our good health, let me tell ya.
Oh, and if more people signed up there wouldn't be such a strong black market for organs. People waking up mysteriously missing a kidney etc. Or people in very poor countries selling their organs.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 24, 2012 03:17PM

Where do you get this stuff, KidRaw--you "heard" they start taking your organs before you're dead?! No wonder you are terrified.

I am an organ donor.

P.S. Facebook, good luck with that IPO investigation thing . . .

Date: May 24, 2012 06:38PM

I said - I'm afraid of dying.

coco said - "How can you stand living in that sort of fear?"

Tamukha said - "No wonder you are terrified."

I'm not 'terrified', and I don't 'live in fear' - my words were twisted so as to portray me as a fearful, terrified person, out of the ordinary....as if KidRaw is walking around scared, fearful and terrified. NOT TRUE

I, like most people, am afraid of dying, but I'm not 'terrified' and I don't 'live in fear'. I never really think about dying except when I'm really sick and that's almost never.

I'm just your average joe, so please don't project undesirable personality characteristics on me - thanks.

For example, I've never had a panic attack in my life, like others have.

Date: May 24, 2012 06:50PM

Tamukha Wrote:

> Where do you get this stuff, KidRaw--you "heard"
> they start taking your organs before you're dead?!
> No wonder you are terrified.

I didn't actually 'hear' it - I 'read' it --

Organ Harvesting Before “Brain-Death” Increasingly Common, Concerned Doctors Warn

[www.lifesitenews.com]

New Trend in Organ Donation Raises Questions

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Shock: Requiring Death Before Organ Donation is Unnecessary, Say Experts

[www.lifesitenews.com]

and there are many more articles about it if you'd like me to look them up, I can. (Actually, these are a couple years old, so it's probably even worse now) I love doing research online - thanks for asking.

Date: May 24, 2012 07:13PM

Perhaps what you're describing doesn't sound like living in fear to you, if it's a tolerable mind-set for you then that's all that matters. For me though, this fear of death, fear of dying when sick, fear of dying painfully, fear of the unknown, fear of having organs harvested while still alive, etc, sounds like torment.
Different strokes. It's not projecting ONTO you, it's analyzing how one would feel with those thoughts in their own head. Not comfortable, not for me.

Date: May 24, 2012 07:36PM

Organs Taken Before Brain Death

[au.news.yahoo.com]

21-Year-Old Man Wakes From Coma Before Doctors Take Organs

[www.lifenews.com]

Is it morally wrong to take a life? Not really, say bioethicists

[www.bioedge.org]

Doctors call for a moratorium on donation after cardiac death

[www.bioedge.org]

Shock Article: Bioethicists Suggest Killing Someone With ‘No Autonomy Left’ Is Not Morally Wrong

[www.theblaze.com]

Date: May 24, 2012 08:42PM

Yeah, well, that's all a bit round the bend for me. I don't believe the Greys and the Greens have infiltrated the populace either...

Date: May 24, 2012 09:44PM

KidRaw Wrote:
> No, because I don't trust them. From what I heard,
> they start taking out your organs before you're
> really really dead, so I don't want that extra
> trauma when my body and my soul is already dealing
> with the experience and pain of dying. Dying's
> bad enough all by itself.
>
> Just like how I heard your soul doesn't fully
> leave your body for three days after you die, so I
> told my people don't cremate me for three days,
> because I don't want my soul getting traumatized
> by the burning body.

Hi, Kid. You're handling this nicely.

I think there might be something true about your soul not fully leaving your body for 3 days; I had not heard about such a thing before you posted this, but it brings up a memory, as follows.

A few days after my father died both my mother and I saw a weird entity, a cloud-like spiral, ascending upwards. [The Bible refers to Elijah ascending to heaven in a whirlwind.] She did not know that I saw this and I didn't know that she had seen this, because of where we were sitting relative to this occurrence. Many years later she felt a need to spill her guts and told me what she saw, and I told her I'd seen the same. Strangely, at the moment I saw this, I wasn't even thinking about my pa's death, my mind was elsewhere.

Re cremation. Why do that at all, KidRaw? I am trying to find a natural burial cemetery but there's none in our area (yet) tho I heard some people are trying to set one up. What is nicer - being respectfully lowered into the dust of the earth from where we came in a bucolic, quiet, treed area; OR being stuck on a metal slab and burnt at extremely high temperature (because the body is so dense and moist that it take a lot of energy)? It reminds me of my dad, a farmer, hauling a dead cow (dead of natural causes) out onto the back 40 and immolating it. Yuck.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:58PM

Coco,

yes, for over 35 years.

Paul

now maybe they may not be worth much, lol

Date: May 24, 2012 10:29PM

Hi Horsea,

I used to want to be buried in the beautiful little cemetary in the town where I grew up with my mother and father and other relatives, but then I decided to go ahead and get cremated because that's what my husband wants to get done to him, and mainly because it's a lot cheaper. I figured I'd have the ashes thrown on the mountain in back of our house. Plus I hate to be cold, and I'm thinking that if I'm in the ground, I'll be cold all the time smiling smiley

But now that you got me thinking more about it - I think I'll ask my brother and sisters what they're going to have done, because if they're all going to be buried in that cemetary, then I want to be there, too.

Posted by: adrian ()
Date: May 25, 2012 02:27AM

i'm actually very afraid of dying. i have trouble accepting there's an end (not sure i believe anything else happens after death, although i wish it did).

not that i think of dying often, but for sure, i've been afraid of death probably since childhood. i love living so much i never want it to end.

interesting thread.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:58AM

I donated some organs once. Now they keep calling me all the time wanting more.

Sometimes I wonder about the larger organizations, you never know where your organs are going or how many organs go straight to the administrators salary. I suggest keeping it local. If you donate local, you might even be able to arange visitation rights. You never know, you just might miss those donated organs.

Date: May 25, 2012 04:26PM

I'd miss mine (my donated organs). Heck, there are even suckers giving up a kidney while they are still alive. No such patsy every wonders what the hell HE will do if his single remaining kidney goes kapoot.

Where is it written that people are permitted two lives in one go? It's a little greedy, if you ask me.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: May 25, 2012 11:30PM

Actually I signed my organ donor card the day after I turned 18. Always have been, always will be a donor.

I would rejoyce using my no longer needed body parts to save or help someone. Let God sort out if they deserve a second chance or not. Thankfully, judging them is not my job.

There is also the science fiction concept that maybe our organs will "influence" someone into seeing life as a chance to contribute to the greater good of all...

Date: May 25, 2012 11:38PM

Ver, I do believe that giving a gift or taking any action with expectation of the result of that action is the root of all personal suffering. That sort of attachment is the Very thing the enlightened suggest we seek to let go of. Byron Katie would call that being over there in somebody else's business while nobody is over here taking care of yours winking smiley.
I don't think that a person can assume responsibility for the wilful actions of another person. If you save a life you are not then to be held accountable for what that life ends up like, we don't get to co-opt responsibility from each other that way. Each chooses and is responsible for their own choices.

Horsea, there are suckers paying for their kids to go to college too. What are they going to do if they then turn around and need that money themselves? Guess we all have to hope for the best in life learn to rely on each other in some cases, eh?

Date: May 26, 2012 12:49AM

It must be a wonderful feeling to be so altruistic.

Date: May 26, 2012 01:28PM

If it feels that way to you, the choice would not be right for you.
For me this is part and parcel of following the Golden Rule:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
It's a good philosophy for life, I think. A good standard of behavior. Seems to me that most religious teachings are centred about that very thing, no? It's what my parents raised us to behave like in any case.

Date: May 26, 2012 04:59PM

The Gold Rule is indeed a nice thing, but if you are living in a culture or place where not everyone follows that rule, things get awfully complicated.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 26, 2012 09:46PM

I think people should do what feels right for them. Thinking of others is always a plan but on the other hand, I think we have to be careful about being a "do-gooder" sometimes. There seems to be an industry based around exploiting the positive tendencies in the human animal. Exhibit A: Walk for_________(fill in the blank). The latest one I saw was for autism! eye rolling smiley So I am walking for what? Am I making Big Pharma's coffers richer (which may be behind most of the upswing in the condition)? Then no thanks!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables