Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

an experiment to test beliefs
Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: July 21, 2012 02:04AM

People who can't face reality say that if you think about something you give energy to it and make it worse and cause it to happen. And you can stop things from happening by not thinking about them.

Any one here believe that?

To test that belief I have an experiment in progress. I have 2 glasses on my desk. One has water in it and the other is empty. In exaclty 48 hours I am going to pour the water from one glass into the other. You with the above beliefs try to stop this from happening by not thinking about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: an experiment to test beliefs
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 21, 2012 01:47PM

Well, first, that's not what affirmation and visualization work means, and second, you can effect this outcome by not thinking about--forgetting to--pour the water.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 21, 2012 04:05PM

The premise is what is referred now as 'the secret'. I believe in it heartily. Dwelling on negative thoughts will manifest negative realities as will the opposite of that with positive thoughts manifesting positive realities.

I often work on clearing any thoughts from my mind and then choosing what I want to dwell on. It often starts with having an appreciation for my life and goes out to thoughts of nature, earth, and the Universe.

As for your experiment perhaps focusing on something more tangible that you can not manipulate the outcome except for your positive thoughts (I would choose positive vs. negative) of having it come to pass. And while you contemplate this already know it is a done deal and it will happen.

This has worked for me countless times.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 21, 2012 07:17PM

Your first part of the sentence "people who can't face reality" implies that you are not open to a real discussion about this, so I hestitated to answer you.

The physical is the last thing. Everything begins with an idea. If anyone cared enough to invest in getting you to stop doing something, perhaps they could impact your ability to do it but it would have to carry some emotional connection for them.

What is "reality?" If you are a fatalist, I suppose you wouldn't see any way to change what happens to you. I believe that I am not just a sitting duck waiting for life to happen to me (although I am not always as pro-active as I should be). One example of this is health. Fatalists see no cause and effect between what they eat and what their health is like. People who understand that you have to feed your body well to experience good health will make good choices and not leave it up to fate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 07:19PM by banana who.

Date: July 21, 2012 11:07PM

Something I forgot to say earlier is that in your context, "reality" is negative and because people cannot accept it, they construct some sort of la-la land.

I believe that ultimately, happiness is a choice. You can always think a different thought. You can always find a silver lining. I don't think that's avoiding reality--I think it's CO-CREATING it. smiling smiley

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:20AM

What is the reality you think people dont want to face????????

You are going to do what you are going to do,just as I am going to do what I am going to do.
Thoughts dont affect anything except your own inner world.
And hopefully what I do doesnt bring misery.
Like I have said.............life is a radio dial............what station do you want to tune into?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 01:27AM by eaglefly.

Date: July 22, 2012 01:29AM

This is a great thread actually..........
It is the very basis of Jesus's teaching the "renewing of your mind" to negate(reject) sin,and create a better reality.

Date: July 22, 2012 01:06PM

I have a feeling back2eden is a bit of a michief maker, a bit of a Puck . . . . winking smiley

Date: July 22, 2012 02:42PM

Tamukha

I thought about ending the experiment early due to the apparent stress it's causing, but then some might say you didn't give us enough time to not think about it.

12 more hours to go.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: July 22, 2012 03:03PM

Believe me...I ain't thinking about it!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 22, 2012 04:34PM

Here is my Recap on The Secret. Usually there are at least 3 or 4 if not a dozen or more things to Recap in something this long, but “What We Don’t Want” was the only thing in this whole movie that was repeated often enough to even do a Recap on.

JR’s Recaps

Don’t Want

“Here’s the problem...most people are thinking what they don’t want and it shows up over and over and over again.” John Assaraf

“The Law of Attraction doesn’t care whether you perceive something to be good or bad or whether you don’t want it or whether you do want it, it’s responding to your thoughts. So if you are sitting there looking at a mountain of debt feeling terrible about it, that’s the signal you’re putting out to the universe. Wow, I feel really bad because of all this debt I got...you’re just affirming it to yourself...you feel it on every level of your being...that’s what you’re going to get more of.” Bob Doyle

“...he was focusing on what he did not want. When you focus on something with a lot passion, it makes it happen even faster. His whole life changed because he changed from focusing on what he did not want, what he was afraid of, what he wanted to avoid to focusing on what he did want.” Bill Harris

“Because as soon as you start to feel differently about what you already have, you will start to attract more of the good things, more of the things you can be grateful for. Because you can look around and say well, I don’t have the car I want, I don’t have the house I want, I don’t have the health I want, I don’t have the spouse I want. Woe, back up, back up, those are all the things you don’t want. Focus on what you already have that you’re grateful for. And it might be you have the eyes to watch this...it might be the clothes that you have. Yes, it might prefer something else and you might get something else pretty soon if you’re feeling grateful for what you have.” Dr. Joe Vitale, MSC.D. Metaphysician

“The reason why “what you resist persist” is because when you’re resisting something, you’re saying, ‘No, I don’t want this thing because it makes me feel this way...the way I’m feeling right now.’ So, you’re just putting out this really strong emotion of wow, I really don’t like this feeling and it’s there and it comes racing towards you.” Bob Doyle

“You know the antiwar movement creates more war. The antidrug movement has actually created more drugs because we’re focusing on what we don’t want, drugs.” Jack Canfield, "Chicken Soup for the Soul"

“Well, people will say, ‘Shouldn’t I focus on that?’ That is true. And we say, that is like saying because someone gave their attention to something they did not want long enough that now it has manifested, I should do it too. And we say, we don’t really understand that reasoning.” Esther Hicks

“You want to focus on what you want, not on what you don’t want. It’s OK to notice what you don’t want because that gives you contrast to say well this is what I do want. But the fact is that the more you talk about what you don’t want or you talk about how bad it is...read about all of that all of the time and then say how terible it is, well, you’re creating more of that.” Jack Canfield, "Chicken Soup for the Soul"

“You know, so many times people say to me, ‘Well James, I have to be informed.’ Maybe you have to be informed, but you don’t have to be inundated.” James Arthur Ray, Philosopher

“Learn to become steel and to take your attention away from what you don’t want and all of the emotional charge around it and place the attention on what you wish to experience.” Rev. Dr. Michael Beckwith, DD

“You know when everybody starts to live from their heart and go for what they want, they don’t go for the same things. That’s the beauty of this. We don’t all want BMWs, we don’t all want the same person, we don’t all want the same experiencs, we don’t all want the same clothing, we don’t all want fill in the blank.” Dr. Joe Vitale, MSC.D. Metaphysician

“I mean that’s almost everbody’s story in one form or another. So, that’s just called so what. The real what is what are you going to do now? What do you choose now? Because you can either keep focusing on that or focus on what you want and when people start focusing on what they want, what they don’t want falls away and that part expands and the other part disappears.” Jack Canfield, "Chicken Soup for the Soul"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Revolution doesn’t have to do with smashing something; it has to do with bringing something forth. If you spend all of your time thinking about that which you are attacking, then you are negatively bound to it. You have to find the zeal in yourself and bring that out.” -Joseph Campbell, Pathways to Bliss, p. 104
--------------------------------------------
…see “Revolution” file…
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Any idea that is held in the mind that is either feared or revered will begin at once to clothe itself in the most convenient and appropriate physical forms available." -Andrew Carnegie
---------------------------------------------
…see “Quotes - Knowledge & Ignorance” file…

As you can see, I added a couple inserts in my file on “Law of Attraction” from different files at the end that seemed appropriate.

Now as far as people Not Facing Reality, I started a post about Unrealistic Optimism [ [www.rawfoodsupport.com] ] where Functional MRI Scans have shown us how we Run to Denial by Shutting Down our Frontal Lobe, thereby, having a Mental Processing Error. Denial is a Defense Mechanism designed to keep us from going CRAZY. Very few people want to entertain the idea that they can’t eat their Favorite Foods anymore and that the Psychopaths are Running the Asylum. So instead, most people Run to Denial to Protect their Pleasures and to Avoid all of those Unwanted Aspects of our Lives and our Society.

Indeed, this is an interesting topic for many reasons, especially in reference to Joseph Campbell’s quote, “Revolution doesn’t have to do with smashing something; it has to do with bringing something forth. If you spend all of your time thinking about that which you are attacking, then you are negatively bound to it. You have to find the zeal in yourself and bring that out.” The key here is to Not spend too much time on the Obstacles, but that does Not mean to ignore these Obstacles in the hope that they will go away.

In other words, our Primary Focus should be on the Knowledge we Need or the Knowledge we’re missing and our Secondary Focus should be on doing Damage Control or on undoing all of the Harm done by the Psychopaths who Rule the World. A Common Mistake made by 2 Main Groups of people who are Awake, so to speak, is to Not recognize the other Group. One Group knows we’re Eating the Wrong Food and it’s the Knowledge we’re missing and the other Group knows that Psychopaths are Ruling the World, but they think the only Solution is to expose them. In both cases, most people in these 2 Main Groups do Not recognize each other and they do so simply by Shutting Down their Frontal Lobe.

Interestingly, T. C. Fry woke up to this Reality and I even started a Thread on this…

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
T. C. Fry & Psychopaths...
Posted by: John Rose
Date: April 09, 2012 02:01PM

Part of this post included a must see Documentary on how to spot a Psychopath…

Defense Against the Psychopath (Full length Version)

[www.youtube.com]

What’s really interesting about this Documentary is that Psychopaths are very Predictable because their Frontal Lobe is Damaged and they quite literally don’t know How to Act. The classic example in this Documentary explains how a Psychopath can go to a funeral and fake it, much as some people do here, and when they see everyone crying, they can mimic what the other mourners are doing, but then, since their Frontal Lobe is Damaged, they try to pick up the Window.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: July 22, 2012 05:13PM

Well John gets an A and a gold star today for decoding the true concepts of this experiment. It has to do with how to properly deal with things that you can't face and how to properly work with others facing common difficulties.

Maybe that's too deep for this board I dont know.

So John has correctly been able to stop the water from being poured not by not thinking about it but by facing the issues invloved. Way to go!

The experiment is now over. This is what I had planned to post tonight after the water was poured.

Definition of negative:
1. Marked by denial, prohibition, or refusal
2. Expressing, containing, or consisting of a negation, refusal, or denial:.
3. Indicating opposition or resistance:
4. lacking positive or constructive features.

I just poured the water from one glass to other proving that even the simplest events can’t be stopped by people choosing not to think about them. If this action was not able to be stopped, then current world events that people can’t face don’t have a chance to be stopped or kept from affecting you simply by not thinking about them.

There are currently by my count at least 14 of these life threatening situations to all that are eminent in the world today. I am seemingly one of the few that can face these head on and try to do something positive to prevent them or to be out of their way when to they take place. When I try to warn others about these coming events, for the purpose of taking the same actions then doing so is termed negative or creating fear by those who can’t face them. The above definition of negative does not fit at all.

By the same means we take here towards our health we need to apply to world situations or at least those who have achieved a super high state of health and now have plenty of reserves to deal with other things.
If people can’t see anything going wrong then fine. If other people see things going wrong but can’t face them then don’t call us who can face them negative or creators of fear.

I have foreseen what is about to occur and have taken appropriate actions.

I am just trying to make everything better for all.
B2E

Date: July 22, 2012 08:30PM

You gotta remember that your view is only one view.
Who wants to go around thinking of 14 life threatening situations for Gods sake.Is that how you want to live? Is one of them a comet hitting the Earth?
If I went around thinking of all that,I would want to sit and drink all day.

Tell us exactly what you have done to prepare for the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 08:31PM by eaglefly.

Date: July 22, 2012 08:54PM

back2eden
I have a question.
Do you ever open up the Bible,believe that Jesus existed,and what He did for us?
The whole overall picture?

Thanks
Vinny

ps..I found your experiment to be very minipulative,almost cult- like.Anyone else agree?Is John now under your spell?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 08:58PM by eaglefly.

Date: July 22, 2012 10:09PM

B2E: We cannot control every aspect of our lives. That is where spirituality kicks in. I believe it's a dance between taking responsibility/action and surrendering. I certainly do NOT subscribe to a passive approach and believe that someone is going to do all the heavy lifting in my life. No, that is on me. But I know that I cannot control every detail of what happens (and even trying to would render me a control freak on steroids, LOL).

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:59AM

<<<Is John now under your spell?>>>

Vinny,

In many ways, you remind me of back2eden many years ago just months before he joined my flock. He too resisted at first, but he came around just like you will because All Roads Lead to Rose. BWAHAHAHAHA

Date: July 23, 2012 03:03PM

smiling smiley

Date: July 24, 2012 12:44PM

I assumed this post was meant cheekily.

back2eden,

You did not try hard enough to NOT think of pouring the water. Now, I would like you to NOT think of a pink elephant.

I may be misunderstanding, but the equating of declining to entertain negative perceptions in favor of positive ones with obliviousness is not correct. That one declines, as Vinny does, to focus one's psychic energies on the negatives one perceives is not the same as being avoidant or inert.

I tend to think that what you think, you believe, and what you believe actualizes behavior, and how you behave creates certain outcomes. The important thing is to be aware enough to ensure that your conscious mind directs your unconsious mind to create behavior that your conscious mind finds gratifying. I think it's true, therefore, that being aware of negative things to the point where they dominate one's conscious, and then enter one's subconscious, actually promotes their persistence. It can realize them. For example, fearing that one will be perceived as incompetent at one's job may, should it become a preoccupation, lead to one's becoming so fretful that one actually does begin to become incompetent at one's job in a distinguishing way. Extrapolated: dwelling on a potential global apocalypse cannot singlehandedly initiate a global apocalypse, but responding to the potential for it as though it is inevitable or has already occurred, certainly doesn't help obviate it, especially on the micro scale of one's life. The Every-Man-For-Himself dictum that seems to be sweeping the nation as a result of focusing on negative perceptions is fascinating to me, in that the circumstances that foster it are self-created. That is, if all of us had spent less time worrying about bad things happening to ourselves and more time wishing for good things to happen to all of us, no one would ruminate about bad things that could happen to them to the point of isolating themselves and threatenening others with abandonment. It's that kind of thinking that created the perceived need for that kind of thinking in the first place, god love a tautology!

Humans. What can be done about them, honestly? [sigh]

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 24, 2012 05:58PM

The pouring of the water is a metaphor for death, I think. Many don't want to face it. If we spend less time worrying about it, we are abt to delay it for a bit, though noone gets out of this world alive.

I love these two quotes around the same time... lol

"If a man lives, it is certain he will die. Therefore it is foolish to treat death like an enemy". Kwai Chang Caine (played by David Carradine in Kung, circa 1973 or 1974).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Well,everybody winds up dead sooner or later Jug (played by the late Jack Elam"

Latigo: "Well, the smart ones try to postpone it as long as possible" Latigo played by James Garner. Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971)

lol

Paul

Posted by: SkyFeather ~ ()
Date: July 26, 2012 08:37PM

back2eden
-------------------------------------------------------
> People who can't face reality say that if you
> think about something you give energy to it and
> make it worse and cause it to happen. And you can
> stop things from happening by not thinking about
> them.
>
> Any one here believe that?
>
> To test that belief I have an experiment in
> progress. I have 2 glasses on my desk. One has
> water in it and the other is empty. In exaclty 48
> hours I am going to pour the water from one glass
> into the other. You with the above beliefs try to
> stop this from happening by not thinking about it.

It doesn't work in that way, since there lies your free will winking smiley

The visualization and manifestation of thoughts has to do with the thoughts we do for something/anything we want to achieve.. not having to do with negativity.

We create when we give our whole vibration to something we need to happen (not want). We put our intent and we clear ourselves from any expectations. When we carefully weave our intent, aiming from the core (from our heart chakra), we are aligned with what we need and what we need will find us.
Everything is interconnected ~

~~~
Each inhalation brings the outside world inside and each exhalation brings the inner world outside. You are bridging two worlds. Maintaining your balance you proceed further to the subtler realms ~

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 05, 2012 11:39PM

Back2eden,
So, did the water get poured or not? I would like to think that our thoughts can influence matter. But distance does affect influence. You are more immediately present to both glasses, so what thoughts you have will be of greater influence. Plus you can immediately affect the glasses physically, that will be of greatest influence.

Reminds me of a thoughtform sort of...maybe I should make my own post on the topic.

Date: August 06, 2012 02:09AM

Yes, the water was poured of course, there was never a possiblity it would not be. Because the concept behind is all wrong and this proved it.

I never thought about pouring the water the whole time so only those not thinking about the water being poured to stop it from happening could have any affect on the experiment. Since the water was poured not thinking about something does not stop anything from happening. Putting your head in the sand only will make things worse in the end.

It's the thought that counts, pun intended yes, LOL
B2E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 02:22AM by back2eden.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2012 05:42PM

Oh, the secret and all that bunk. Yes, all those souls who drowned in the tsunami called it to themselves. Of course, because of their all-powerful thoughts. Why in the world didn't they all just *think* themselves to dry land?

I personally believe that this entire concept is grossly misinterpreted and taken as literal when it isn't at all meant in that way. That foolish, foolish book and movie, sigh. What we perceive is directly in line with our thoughts and that is our reality and that simple truth right there is the only secret worth discovering IMHO. Not some ridiculous notion that there's a magic mind key to unlocking wealth and immortality for REAL. lol.

Date: August 06, 2012 06:10PM

Coco, I am kind of in the middle. The Secret was criticized for being very materialistic, which I did find it to be. The first thing to ask is what is tre wealth? Health is certainly wealth! Even if you have a million bucks, if you are chronically ill, what difference does it make? So our thoughts and perceptions do impact our outer experience, IMO, including physical health. Likewise, I believe in the supernatural and just had an experience with it. I do believe that our energy may attract certain experiences to us. People use disasters to negate the very existence of God: "A loving God did this to people? How nice." I think there is a dance between blaming people for bad things happening and seeing how we all cooperate with what goes on.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2012 06:17PM

One person can be sick with cancer and very depressed about it, their reality, how they perceive the world and themselves in it can be very dark.
Another person can be sick with the same illness but very positive about it, taking things one day at a time and appreciating every moment as they experience it.
The difference is not in the circumstances, over which I believe we have very little control, but in the thoughts and perceptions of what is, over which we have All control. Having a different thought is as easy as changing one's mind. That's a secret that every one can easily learn to literally change their own lives and that's what I perceive that whole "secret" thing to be about. Actual monetary wealth doesn't create happiness but one can feel wealthy and as though all their needs are being met if they change their perspective.

This was in my notes the other day and illustrates how a different mindset changes,literally changes, everything without having changed anything at all.

There are two opposite perspectives on life: the materialistic perspective and the grateful perspective.
The materialistic approach to life guarantees discontentment and frustration, as there is no objective limit to the acquisition of personal possessions. There is no consistent measure that could be marked as “enough”. At the same time, only the very basic possessions that satisfy our essential needs such as food, clothes, and shelter can bring us a sensible feeling of contentment. The majority of items beyond the basic needs convey very little enjoyment to their possessor.
Contrary to this, gratitude inevitable leads to becoming aware of unlimited wealth that life holds for every one of us. Grateful people tend to be happier, more optimistic, more satisfied with their lives than their less grateful counterparts. (Gratitude leads to improvements in psychological and even physical well-being, the reverse being also true.)
People who place emphasis on materialistic pursuits – people for whom obtaining wealth and material possessions takes priority over meaningful relationships, community involvement, and spirituality – tend to be unhappy and tend to experiences high levels of negative emotion. They are at risk for a variety of mental disorders. In contrast, grateful people – people who readily recognize the many ways in which their lives are enriched by the benevolent actions of others – tend to be extraordinarily happy. They experience high levels of positive emotion and are generally satisfied with their lives.

12 Steps To Raw ~ Victoria Boutenko

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 06, 2012 09:52PM

Don't think about a red M&M....

Telling people not to think about something usually causes people to think about it. Thus the water got poured.

Now...don't think about something I am not telling you at the moment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables