Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Rise of the China Meat Demand
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 14, 2012 08:17PM

[www.pbs.org]

"This year, as many as 100,000 cows will be shipped to China from Australia, New Zealand and Uruguay and passed into a facilities like this."

"MINDI SCHNEIDER: Agriculture is the number one water polluter in China. And part of that is from fertilizer and pesticide runoff from crop fields. But the number one source of water pollution in China today is manure. And that is coming from all of these industrial livestock production systems."

"MIAO LINGSHEN (through translator): If the water touches your skin, it burns you. I'm not joking here. You immediately get a rash and an infection."

"WU HENG (through translator): If you want to buy work here, you have to make sure they haven't put an additive in the feed called clenbuterol. Clenbuterol makes the pork leaner, and lean pork can be sold for higher prices."

"MARY KAY MAGISTAD: Clenbuterol can cause heart attacks in humans and has been at the center of one major food scandal here."

"MARY KAY MAGISTAD: So there are boutique organic pigs for the elite, industrially raised pigs for masses, and a lingering question of what is the best way forward to feed China's changing appetite safely and sustainably."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Rise of the China Meat Demand
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 14, 2012 10:32PM

I just watched the movie Forks Over Knives today. Interesting, the shifting of western attitudes (and coinciding dietary related deadly disease) into the east. Tragic.

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 15, 2012 12:04AM

Nasty. I thought the Chinese were smart - why would they eat garbage like that.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: November 15, 2012 12:51AM

Yeah, I thought they were smart too until I realized how desperately they want to be America and how they have zero regard for the environment. This is disgusting.

KidRaw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nasty. I thought the Chinese were smart - why
> would they eat garbage like that.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 15, 2012 01:57PM

I think they are trying to emulate "rich" people by eating expensive food. Since meat is expensive (or rare), they equate it to good life. The first thing a poor person does when winning the lottery is to buy expensive things like an expensive car, an expensive house, boat, restaurants, etc. It is what is programmed in their social system and they are the symbolic flags of social striving identity. It is a struggle for identity on a sytem where you are born blank or without value. You acquire your value on the struggle (earn it). I don't think it came from America but from much earlier, the industrial revolution, England. The end result is a justified massive destruction of lives, environment, etc. This new emerging Chinese social system is much worse and cut-throat than the American. While trying to keep the economic rates up to keep up with the population explosion and its quality of life, they leave behind a huge pool of trash. They only have eyes to see their social struggle. To them nothing else matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 02:07PM by Panchito.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables