Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone else feel like they live in a rainforest this summer?
Posted by: HH ()
Date: July 22, 2013 09:37PM

I live in western PA. and we get a torrential downpour nearly every day. Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else feel like they live in a rainforest this summer?
Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: July 22, 2013 11:24PM

Yes, we live in a rain forest, too. We're in Central VA and it's been cloudy and rainy and/or torrential rainfalls almost every day for weeks now. Our house is built into the side of the mountain, and I just noticed last night that the bathroom floor on the basement level has beads of water by the edges. I guess it's because the ground is totally saturated, so it's leaking through. When I wash clothes they take a couple days to dry. I guess this is better than when it's hot and sunny and 90's and the grass starts dying out - at least the flora is doing well.

I'm starting to believe it's global warming or a magnetic pole shift or planet X or something.

Date: July 22, 2013 11:43PM

I know nothing about meteorology but wish I did. I wonder if it has anything to do with the possible global cooling cycle?

Date: July 23, 2013 02:00AM

Another thing - it seems like every single morning when I get up and go out the front door, it's rained overnight. Not a lot of rain, but everything's wet.

A few years ago, I had a dream that where I lived had turned into a rain forest and it was beautiful. I'd like a little more sun with it, though. We're going to become Vitamin D deficient if this keeps up.

Date: July 23, 2013 01:26PM

I know someone who knows a meteorologist for the Rand Corporation. They're already referring to this region as a northern jungle. They must be aware of soemthing that we're not. If you don't know about Rand, I recommend looking it up.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: July 24, 2013 12:17AM

Here in Vermont it is. Rain, heat, everything growing very lush, no enough time to weed and keep the lawn under control. At this point I am just letting it go, the snow should come at some point and I will deal with it again next year. (Hope it cooler, I prefer that.)

Date: July 24, 2013 07:46PM

It's a relatively cool 75 degrees here today. Low is supposed to be 55 tonight. The 10-day says we won't break 80 for the rest of July.

I love Vermont. I've done a bit of skiing at beautiful Bromley. I hope you don't get as much snow this winter as you got rain this summer!

vermontnl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here in Vermont it is. Rain, heat, everything
> growing very lush, no enough time to weed and keep
> the lawn under control. At this point I am just
> letting it go, the snow should come at some point
> and I will deal with it again next year. (Hope it
> cooler, I prefer that.)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2013 10:06PM

Rain like I've never seen it. Mosquitos and other insects are brutal too. You just can't go outside at any time of day without becoming a meal for the bugs sad smiley.
We're just south of Detroit, southern most part of Canada aside from Point Pelee.
Crazy thunderstorms too, just amazing crashing and bashing.

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: July 25, 2013 02:05PM

The reason could be this:
[www.theatlanticwire.com]

See this for the measurements (alot of measurements above freezing):
[psc.apl.washington.edu]

Date: July 25, 2013 04:53PM

That's interesting but I'm confused. How would that cause cool, rainy summers in the eastern United States?

swimmer Wrote:
> The reason could be this:
> [www.theatlanticwire.com]
> h-pole-has-melted-lake/67577/
>
> See this for the measurements (alot of
> measurements above freezing):
> [psc.apl.washington.edu]
> _atmos_recent.html

Date: July 25, 2013 04:54PM

HH Wrote:
> That's interesting but I'm confused. How would
> that cause relatively cool, rainy summers in the eastern
> United States?
>
> swimmer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The reason could be this:
> >
> [www.theatlanticwire.com]
>
> > h-pole-has-melted-lake/67577/
> >
> > See this for the measurements (alot of
> > measurements above freezing):
> >
> [psc.apl.washington.edu]
>
> > _atmos_recent.html

Date: July 25, 2013 06:35PM

HH Wrote:
> That's interesting but I'm confused. How would
> that cause cool, rainy summers in the eastern
> United States?
>

I think it breaks down like this:
While ice can evaporate, water evaporates at a much, much faster rate. The arctic now has a whole lot more water surface making contact with the air, and therefore subject to evaporation. That much increased evaporation over such a large area going to temporarily put a whole lot more water in the atmosphere. That increase in water equals higher humidity at the surface up to and including the altitudes where storms are formed. So, we have higher humidity, more clouds, and more storms in some areas (depending on local weather patterns). More clouds means less sun radiating directly on the surfaces around us, which, in turn, means less heat, or cooler temps.

Water is also very good at scattering atmospheric light, which is why there is more "glare" from the sun when the humidity is high. Sunlight scattered by greater humidity means less direct energy radiating onto surfaces, and therefore, less energy radiating from those surfaces. This also adds to the cooling effect.

The effects of the humidity are wide spread, across most of the country. The humidity here in San Diego is staying above 80%. It should be in the somewhere between 20% (day) and 40% (night) this time of year. Unfortunately, like most drought areas, it's been real humid, but very, very little rain. No clouds, so the temps here are very near normal here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 06:39PM by swimmer.

Date: July 25, 2013 06:46PM

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to respond directly to the theory. However, one thing that potentially makes it less plausible is that they call the melting of the North Pole an "annual occurence." If that's the case, wouldn't it have similarly effected the weather in previous years?

swimmer Wrote:
> HH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's interesting but I'm confused. How would
> > that cause cool, rainy summers in the eastern
> > United States?
> >
>
> I think it breaks down like this:
> While ice can evaporate, water evaporates at a
> much, much faster rate. The arctic now has a whole
> lot more water surface making contact with the
> air, and therefore subject to evaporation. That
> much increased evaporation over such a large area
> going to temporarily put a whole lot more water in
> the atmosphere. That increase in water equals
> higher humidity at the surface up to and including
> the altitudes where storms are formed. So, we have
> higher humidity, more clouds, and more storms in
> some areas (depending on local weather patterns).
> More clouds means less sun radiating directly on
> the surfaces around us, which, in turn, means less
> heat, or cooler temps.
>
> Water is also very good at scattering atmospheric
> light, which is why there is more "glare" from the
> sun when the humidity is high. Sunlight scattered
> by greater humidity means less direct energy
> radiating onto surfaces, and therefore, less
> energy radiating from those surfaces. This also
> adds to the cooling effect.
>
> The effects of the humidity are wide spread,
> across most of the country. The humidity here in
> San Diego is staying above 80%. It should be in
> the somewhere between 20% (day) and 40% (night)
> this time of year. Unfortunately, like most
> drought areas, it's been real humid, but very,
> very little rain. No clouds, so the temps here are
> very near normal here.

Date: July 25, 2013 07:05PM

HH Wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to
> respond directly to the theory. However, one thing
> that potentially makes it less plausible is that
> they call the melting of the North Pole an "annual
> occurence." If that's the case, wouldn't it have
> similarly effected the weather in previous years?
>

I understand the physical science involved, not climatology, but I take a stab at a guess: The position of the jet stream would have a lot to do with where the effect is felt. The "lake" of melted ice is getting larger every year, so the effects will be felt more. I think we have had a gradual trend toward this. Maybe it's is more noticeable here, due to the stark contrast in humidity.

Edited for clarity...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 07:12PM by swimmer.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 26, 2013 10:20PM

<[www.youtube.com];

i liked this film
and the main guy knows something is up and weird with the weather
no one else believes him though
just like not too many people think anything is aberrant except
for those that do

Date: July 29, 2013 07:08PM

Yeah, the climate is changing, there's no doubt about it!

Date: July 31, 2013 08:34PM

I just realized something else about the weather. I can't remember the last time it was Windy during the night. I could be mistaken on the frequency of the wind, not sure.

Date: August 01, 2013 11:43AM

Thanks!

KidRaw Wrote:
> I just realized something else about the weather.
> I can't remember the last time it was Windy during
> the night. I could be mistaken on the frequency of
> the wind, not sure.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 02, 2013 04:01PM

Oh, it gets windy at night all right! A couple years ago we had an overnight rolling wind (like a tornado, it took out a whole slew of trees and roofs), it was crazy but I slept right through it, lol. Tired mommy.
We've had a few windy nights lately too, and still tons of rain. It's ruined a lot of ground crops out here. Cabbages rotting from the inside out. Sad.

Date: August 21, 2013 12:16AM

Maybe this is why we're getting this crazy summer weather - colder, cloudy and rainy here - or why we may get more extreme weather in the fall -

The Sun's Magnetic Field is about to Flip

[science.nasa.gov]

"Something big is about to happen on the Sun. According to measurements from NASA-supported observatories, the sun's vast magnetic field is about to flip.

"It looks like we're no more than 3 to 4 months away from a complete field reversal," says solar physicist Todd Hoeksema of Stanford University. "This change will have ripple effects throughout the solar system."

A reversal of the sun's magnetic field is, literally, a big event. The domain of the sun's magnetic influence (also known as the "heliosphere"winking smiley extends billions of kilometers beyond Pluto. Changes to the field's polarity ripple all the way out to the Voyager probes, on the doorstep of interstellar space.

When solar physicists talk about solar field reversals, their conversation often centers on the "current sheet." The current sheet is a sprawling surface jutting outward from the sun's equator where the sun's slowly-rotating magnetic field induces an electrical current. The current itself is small, only one ten-billionth of an amp per square meter (0.0000000001 amps/m2), but there’s a lot of it: the amperage flows through a region 10,000 km thick and billions of kilometers wide. Electrically speaking, the entire heliosphere is organized around this enormous sheet.

During field reversals, the current sheet becomes very wavy. Scherrer likens the undulations to the seams on a baseball. As Earth orbits the sun, we dip in and out of the current sheet. Transitions from one side to another can stir up stormy space weather around our planet.

Cosmic rays are also affected. These are high-energy particles accelerated to nearly light speed by supernova explosions and other violent events in the galaxy. Cosmic rays are a danger to astronauts and space probes, and some researchers say they might affect the cloudiness and climate of Earth."

Date: August 22, 2013 02:05PM

KR<

Check this out. Some scientists are predicting a period of "Solar Minimum" with no sun spot activity.

[www.csmonitor.com]

..."What if we went into another Maunder Minimum? Would that actually stop global warming"? asks Gerald Meehl, a researcher at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., who led the team that conducted the study. "The short answer is: No. It slows it down for a while. But the minute the sunspots come back and the solar output goes back up, the temperature pops back up" close to where it would have been if the sun spots hadn't taken a powder, and the warming trend resumes."...

Date: August 22, 2013 03:22PM

The operative word is "Might" -

"In the most detailed look yet at the impact a similar event might have on global warming, researchers from the US and Australia have concluded that a 50-year grand minimum in sunspot activity likely would reduce global average temperatures during the period by a few tenths of a degree Celsius, but that the warming trend would resume once solar activity returns to normal."

Date: August 22, 2013 03:27PM

Nothing is ever certain in predictions.

Date: August 29, 2013 09:41PM

Anybody else having a mosquito problem this summer? Up at our house in NJ, we can't even go out in the backyard without getting bitten up like crazy. I just heard on the news that there's a big mosquito population explosion now because of the humid wet summer - the perfect conditions.

Rainy Summer Causes Mosquito Population Explosion

[newyork.cbslocal.com]

In Virginia, we don't get any mosquitoes because of the high altitude, but we had loads of stinkbugs the last couple years until this summer; no stinkbugs. I had heard that the cool wet weather does not create a good breeding condition. So this weird summer weather is bad for mosquitoes and good for stinkbugs - depending on whether you're insect or human being.

Date: August 31, 2013 02:57PM

We've hardly had any mosquitoes. If things go according to plan, stinkbugs should be invading our home in the next few weeks.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: August 31, 2013 10:45PM

I live in a rainforest, Humbolt nothern Mendocine true rain forest.
But with all the lowest water records and fire I feel like I live on a western seabord thats drying up and all the stats are sayiny the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables