Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to count fat calories for 80-10-10
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2008 03:24AM

This might be a stupid question but I can't seem to figure it out.

If I eat 2500 cal/day, obviously 10% of that is 250. Does that mean I can't even have 1 avocado, since it has 300 calories to maximize my health (and abide by Doug Graham's 80-10-10)? Where the confusion lies for me is that the avocado isn't entirely made out of fat, so technically, it's not 300 calories OF FAT or am I missing something here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to count fat calories for 80-10-10
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 15, 2008 03:54AM

ellejay,

If you are eating 2500 calories of non overt fat foods, that means no avocados, oils, nuts, seeds, etc, you will be getting 5% fat from the various fruits and vegetables. This means to keep under 10% fat, you only have 5% fat to take from overt fats like avocados, which means 125 calories of fat. An avocado is 75% fat, so this means if you have a 300 calorie avocado, a half and avocado will get you that 125 calories.

So to keep under 10% fat in day of eating 2500 calories, you could eat at most half of a 300 calorie avocado. But if you don't eat any overt fats one day, the next day you could eat an entire 300 calorie avocado.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 15, 2008 03:06PM

But how do you keep the other half of that avocado fresh? =\ In all seriousness... Especially when they are $3/each for organic. angry smiley I've always wondered about the "half an avocado" thing...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 15, 2008 03:30PM

phantom,

Just eat the whole avocado one day, and the next day eat no overt fats. This averages out to half an avocado a day.

Posted by: rawne ()
Date: May 15, 2008 04:00PM

Phantom,
Cut the avocado in half in a way that exposes the least amount of the flesh's surface, then scoop out the flesh from the half you'll be eating leaving the skin intact. Use that skin to cap the remaining half (I always save the section with the pit for last) & wrap tightly with plastic wrap to hold the two halves together. I eat 1/4 avo/day & it keeps. Occasionally a bit of the surface may turn black but I just skim off that part.
rawne

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 15, 2008 04:39PM

Or just buy smaller avocados! I get some nice little ones that come from Spain, they weigh about 100g each, which according to Nutritiondata.com gives about 120 calories from fat.

(Of course I'm not 80/10/10 so I'll often eat 2 of them!)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 15, 2008 05:00PM

I don't buy them unless they are like $0.79 each for the little ones. I usually eat half of one, and I haven't actually measured but each half has about 3 tbsp or 45 g of "meat."

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 15, 2008 06:58PM

*backhanded with logic*

Thanks, everyone. =)

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 15, 2008 09:35PM

Aye the above sounds easy enough!!

I tend to just eat simple day today, gourmet maybe 1 day a week

in the week I DONT eat overt fats. I need my energy, mental clarity and time..for work!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 16, 2008 12:23AM

no need to purchase organic avocado, it is barely sprayed if at all during the growing season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables