Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bread
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2008 02:14PM

Trying bieng raw for the past 7 days. Feel great, BUT i really feel un full at times because i'm attempting to cut out bread...which was such a huge staple in my life. I've been eating flatbread now kinda like crackers..is this ok? Is there anything to replace bread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bread
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 17, 2008 02:43PM

they sell dehydrated raw stuff

though it probably won't taste like soft squishy bread

i replaced bread a long time ago with spinach and kale

they are filling just like bread used to be

i know those two items don't LOOk like bread

but they are a superior reincarnation of them LOL tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: cy ()
Date: May 17, 2008 03:53PM

Manna bread is a sprout bread that is a good food for transition to raw.
It is very delicious.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 17, 2008 05:14PM

I used to be addicted to bread when I look back. I ate bread with everything. Looking for a bread substitute never worked being raw though for me. I felt raw shouldn't be a substitution diet. What I did come to realize was that I needed to eat enough carbs to end the cravings for bread. The more I ate fruit, the less I wanted bread. The desire for bread is gone now. :O)

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 17, 2008 05:27PM

Be easy on your self - realise that some foods are very addictive and giving them up can be very hard. I think it's down to personality types as to how you do it. Some folk cut everything out bang over night but this really doesn't suit some people and can lead to relapses with nasty binges and the old guilt trip. Davidzanemason always talks about small goals and tiny steps and I think this is brilliant advice. How about allowing yourself some bread at the time of day that you most miss it and not at any other time of day - then go to every other day.

Sprouted seed bread is a sort of replacement in that it is chewy and has a dense texture.

I don't know if you are male or female but I am always extra kind and gentle on myself when I am premenstruel and if I slip up I just let it go knowing that in a week or so I will be fine again - and as the months roll by this gets less and less.

I do understand - I make fresh bread for my family and when it comes out of the oven the smell invades the house - usually I don't eat any but it is often a struggle. sometimes I do but I realise that it makes me feel full and sluggish - gradually I am wanting less and less the foods that don't make me feel so good.

Sorry this has gone on rather a lot but mainly what I want to say is give yourself time to adjust - a marathon runner didn't wake up and just was able to do it

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 17, 2008 05:43PM

After I went all raw I had also had cravings for various food addictions. I found that they are like waves that come up on you, peak and then move swiftly past. The intensity of the wave diminishes with each succeeding wave as does the duration of the addiction craving. So hang in there as best you can and soon the waves will be very small and widely spread apart and then they will shrink to a mere ripple once in a very great while. Resisting the addiction craving without giving in to the substitutes like stale raw foods will put you on the fast track to all fresh raw foods and of course thats where the best, most complete nutrition is found.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 17, 2008 05:44PM

Short answer: No. You CAN switch to 'healthier' breads or sprouted breads....but there really is no 'substitute' for switching from a fast carb system to a slow carb system. It takes time, practice and adjustment...but it CAN be done.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: May 17, 2008 05:51PM

Thanks for the helpful insights! I think baby steps is key and then just slowly weaning off. What a great forum to begin my RAW journey! i am very much excited.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 17, 2008 06:00PM

Bread was a GIANT thing for me too

but end of the day it was making me sick sick sick

Until you can stop. can make sprouted breads easy peasy.. sundried even

It will get better, lots of green smoothies help

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 17, 2008 06:02PM

Ezekiel's tortillas were a godsend in helping me transition. They ARE cooked, but made with only sprouts and sea salt--so, if that was the only cooked I was eating until I was ready to take the next step, it was okay by me. It helped me reach my goals and kept me from eating a lot of worse things. I know there is also "enzymatically enhanced" bread available, too, although I'm skeptical about any kind of fortified food, but that may help digestion.

If you have the time and money for a dehydrator, it is possible to make some yummy crusts and wraps that are raw.

In any case, just figure out your goals, and try whatever tools you deem necessary to meet those goals. If a little bit of dehydrated/sprouted bread keeps you from oscillating wildly between raw and SAD binges, using those tools is *much* better in the long run.

Once your tastes change and your body cleans itself out more (you will know when this happens), take it to the next level and take off the training wheels. =)

Good luck!

Date: May 17, 2008 07:30PM

You dont even need a dehydrator to make essense bread.. if you dont have a wheat problem

I do. so dont touch it.. however it might be useful for you

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 17, 2008 07:39PM

Bread and wheat products was one of the hardest for me to let go of on my raw transition. Like tanawana, fruit helped me get over my desire for bread.

Also remember there is no hurry for a fast transition. Slow and steady wins the race, where as going fast may cause huge backslides.

Date: May 17, 2008 08:15PM

Heres the thing step by step Essene bread

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

I dont think in anyway that grains are optimal but if it helps you transistion, go for it smiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2008 09:36PM

Major issue for me too.
I really missed bread and felt like something was missing if I didnt have any every day.
I am finding avocado dips to be a good substitute.
Also am getting very close to getting a dehydrator for making chips.
Brian

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 17, 2008 09:57PM

I like to put a bite sized chunk of avocado onto a spinach or other leaf and make a small wrap.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: May 17, 2008 11:47PM

My husband loves bread,so I make him a lettuce wrap with sunflower pate all the time and he loves it so much that some days he doesn't remember to eat bread.
Another day he ate the lettuce wrap with pate and didn't touch the bread.That was the first time. He is getting there little by little like Bryan said.Small steps.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: May 18, 2008 12:24AM

I'm probably not in the majority on this but I think Mana bread is a great transition food. It's carried in refrigerator section of many health food stores like Whole Foods and made from sprouted organic grains and filtered water...no yeast, oil, sugar or other additives (in case you're not familiar). Definitely not raw though. The package says it's baked at low temperatures but according to the company's website that's 350 degrees, which doesn't seem that low to me. Maybe it is compared to other bread, wouldn't know.

I have to confess that I still eat it plenty, even though I've been raw for almost a year already. Can't seem to help myself...just LOVE the stuff. I know others here find fruit an adequate replacement for bread but that's not been my experience...just doesn't satiate or give me energy, no matter how much I eat. Maybe that will change in time but for now I'm perfectly okay with being 90-95 percent raw. The only other non-raw foods in my diet are brown rice miso and the very occasional splash of nama shoyu.

We're all so unique in that regard though. I agree with DZM that whatever you need to do to reach your goals without stressing yourself out or feeling bad is the right path for you. As long as you're moving forward toward a healthier lifestyle for yourself and the planet it's all good.

~lanie

Date: May 18, 2008 02:30AM

WOW...thank you all so much. looks like my raw journey is going to be much easier with the help of this great forum!!! thanks again

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 18, 2008 04:12AM

My favorite foods of all time used to be pasta and bread. I am from Europe where they have divine olive breads and many varieties of dark crusty breads, heavenly pastries etc. Interestingly, giving all of that up was much easier than I expected, and feared. it was a split second decision and that was 4 years ago. never looked back.

Some things can be way easier than expected. Best wishes!

Date: May 18, 2008 09:53AM

I loved bread, especially pancakes(whole grain), waffles(sometimes), and raisin cinnamon bagels, but now like I go to the store or walk pass one of these tiny carts with doughnuts and immediately my brain thinks... Soy, Wheat, dough, and Glue. I wasn't like that when I first became raw, but after doing research on casein, and really thinking about eggs... I just escape the bread monster. For me it's psychology, I guess that's why I never crave.

Date: May 18, 2008 01:02PM

THAT is what helps me too!
To think of the gluten in bread as a glue that coats my insides and prevents nutrient absorption that would have made me feel good.
Little cognitive tricks like that.
Brian

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 19, 2008 05:33AM

Hi

Debbie Took here! I don't look into this forum much, great though it is (you know how it is - too little time, too many forums!) but thanks to Rawdancer UK for posting the link to my article on Essene Bread.

The article previous to that (called 'Wheat Part I - Give (Raw, Sprouted) Wheat a Chance' is at:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

and discusses raw, sprouted wheat v cooked wheat.

I do know that many, like Rawdancer, are not keen on wheat per se, and I would not go so far as to claim that all raw wheat be given a 500% 'green light', but there are a lot of key differences between the raw and the cooked (eg as regards gluten) that not everyone is aware of.

I missed bread in the early months of the raw diet, and wasn't making Essene bread then. I found the answer was...flax crackers! Experiment with recipes - there are some that aren't so good, but eventually you'll have two or three stalwarts that can always be used to fill the need for crunch/stodge!

Love, Debbie Took

Date: May 19, 2008 08:14AM

Lol Thanks Debbie..sorry I been pimpin your essene bread all over the web smiling smiley fab little demo on how to make it!! hehe smiling smiley

Love as always

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 04:55PM

I used to eat bread toast for breakfast and lunch and also dinner sometimes... But after I became raw, I completely eliminated bread. Here's what helped me to do it.. When I feel un-full and start feeling like I need bread, I eat a large piece of sweet fruit. That was all I needed. When we are a little hungry, I believe, a mixed signal sent to the brain... saying that we need bread or other comfort food, but what we really need is vitamins, fruit sugar and minerals. When I eat fruit, I receive all that from the fruit and I don't have to eat bread after that.

Hope this helpssmiling smiley

Take care
A Iyer

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 20, 2008 06:20PM

I am new also and like you LOVE bread Currently,use the Ezekel 4:9 Sprouted Bread.I love it .I get it at Whole Foods for $2.99 a loaf and I realy enjoy it.I heard about it from the readings of Carol Alt

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 20, 2008 07:03PM

YOu carry on doing that, rawdancer, and...I know I'm slow to catch on, but I've just twigged who you are (again!). Love, Debbie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables