Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruit flys
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: May 22, 2008 01:56AM

offically the only downside to a fruit life style are the fruit flys.. anyone
have any suggestions about how to get rid of these pesty little creatures?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fruit flys
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:06AM

Get a jar or glass and put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in it. Roll a paper funnel and place over it. Put it near the fruit. The flies will find their way in but have trouble getting out. Then you can let them go outside.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 22, 2008 02:31AM

Sure. Prevent them by storing fruit in the refrigerator...and rapidly disposing of peels and leavings outside. Keep the interior clean and free from juice also (not easy for me! LOL.) If you get them....they are not long lived. Leave a bowl of scooped out melon on the counter and they'll flock to it....then just bag it quick and toss it outside. Repeat this a couple of times and you'll get 99% of the fruit flies out of the house...and they'll get at least one more free meal on you. Heh...heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: May 23, 2008 12:09AM

I use a zip lock bag and half a spent melon. when the bag has fruit flies in it I zip the top shut walk it outside and let them go. repeat as needed. During the summer I generally have this on my kitchen range at all times.

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 23, 2008 11:02PM

We got them pretty bad last year. Here is how I got rid of them. I bought a bottle of beer, poured some into a pie plate, and covered the whole thing tightly with saran wrap. Then I made a few slashes in the saran wrap, just enough for a fruit fly to get in.

They flocked to the plate of beer, got inside, couldn't get out, and died a happy death after having a drink. smiling smiley

To never have to deal with them in the first place, just make sure you throw out any overripe or damaged fruit. That is what they go for, and once they start breeding in your house, it is really difficult to get them all out.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 24, 2008 01:39AM

I kept getting them a while back and realized they were coming on the fruit I was buying at a fruit stand. I started washing the fruit before I brought it in the house and that got rid of them.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 24, 2008 06:42AM

Its banana's..

I can leave any fruit out there..but properly ripe banana's ..they love!!

I have taken to popping half in the freezer..or leaving a very thin vase of ACV on the window sill. works a treat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables