Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
how not to be a fruitarian?
Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: May 24, 2008 02:37PM

Hey all
I`ve been eating mostly raw recently-my goal being to eat a lot of greens and vegetables as well as lots of fruit. But I see that since greens are so low in calories it simply does not add much to my daily calorie intake and thus majority of my calories are coming from fruits. ( I don`t want to eat more than an ounce or 2 of nuts or seeds daily) So I guess raw foodists cannot but be fruitarians? Sorry if this is a silly question! winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how not to be a fruitarian?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 24, 2008 02:57PM

Some people are getting over 60% of their calories from fats. If it's mostly nuts and seeds they are not fruitarians.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 24, 2008 04:35PM

Alot depends on how you define Fruitarian when you get down to it. People define it differently.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 24, 2008 06:46PM

It certainly depends. I think it often depends on how truly clean a person is on the inside. If VERY clean....they might need lesser quantities of foods/calories....to get the nutrition they need.

My own personal experience is that I gravitated more towards fruit after being 100% raw for several years. The past few years....I have found myself eating all fruit.

So: a 'fruitarian', in my experience, does not so much happen as a 'diet' or even a consious choice. But rather as a result of a conscious evolution of choices.....and fruit being the necessary tool to get YOU there. As such, it is not a 'plan' that anyone can/should just overlay onto their life....if you follow my meaning. Just my experiences/opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 24, 2008 07:21PM

Mmm its more just evolving.. some people dont, some do

For me, I was eating lots of greens, salads, some nuts and seeds

now if I eat that way I feel heavy and sick just like on cooked

fruit for me feels full of vibrance and life force..its all I want!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 24, 2008 08:53PM

I prefer to not label myself so I just call myself a fresh all raw vegan. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 27, 2008 04:00AM

David Zane Mason,
Thats a great master list of raw foods.
[www.rawfoodfarm.com]
I can see your extensive use of Wikipedia, but how many of these items have you actually consumed? I have always wanted to know how many things on this earth a human can safely eat, and which ones would be of the best benefit to the large majority of people. I think it would be difficult to say what is the best for everyone, as that would really approach an almost medical opinion. But I know that what actually reaches the supermarket, and even alternative markets is a small portion of what could feed people. For one reason or another they don't make it, its difficult to grow consistently, doesn't ship well, or customers dislike or completely do not know how to consume.

Its a great list however. I have started a list of consumable wild things in my area, but after closer examination most of them are recommended to be cooked, or consumed in very small amounts. That makes me a little uneasy for recommending for anyone. I feel more comfortable with foods which can be eaten in any amount, and can be clearly eaten without cooking, fermenting or the like. Although I guess it would be nice to know what else is out there if you needed to eat something...even if it wasn't in the optimal raw.

Thank you, your list will keep my interest up for awhile!
Mislu

Date: May 27, 2008 07:07AM

thanks everyone smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2008 11:14AM

To me it all depends on what you want to call somebody that eats raw foods, the main choices are fruitarian or raw vegan, to me there's no difference it's just a choice of labels and there's no right or wrong way to be coz at the end of the day raw food is raw food.

As for me...I choose to describe myself as a Fruitarian.....for me I knew I was a Fruitarian straight off the bat even before I knew what Fruitarianism was, we are all layered individuals and sometimes the layers come off slower for others!

Follow your heart and do what resonates with you, don't concern yourself with trying to justify the "label" or trying to satisfy the Fruitarian "police" because different labels mean different things to different people for different reasons, just allow your layers to peel away one at a time, if you need to or dive straight in like I did then great, if you need to just take it slow and find yourself thenthat's fine too, either way have fun.

F1

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 27, 2008 11:54AM

The Fruitarian One Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for me...I choose to describe myself as a
> Fruitarian.....for me I knew I was a Fruitarian
> straight off the bat even before I knew what
> Fruitarianism was, we are all layered individuals
> and sometimes the layers come off slower for
> others!
FO...So you're saying that Fruitarianism is the
'Ultimate Plan' for everyone??? I'm going to have to strongly
disagree. I believe that Man was meant to live on the "Strength-
Giving Greens". I guess that would be called Vegetarianism, but the
term has been Bastardized so much.....WY

Date: May 27, 2008 08:19PM

But even if you eat a lot of greens most of your calories will still come from either fruit or nuts/seeds?

Date: May 28, 2008 09:36PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> The Fruitarian One Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As for me...I choose to describe myself as a
> > Fruitarian.....for me I knew I was a Fruitarian
> > straight off the bat even before I knew what
> > Fruitarianism was, we are all layered
> individuals
> > and sometimes the layers come off slower for
> > others!
> FO...So you're saying that Fruitarianism is the
> 'Ultimate Plan' for everyone??? I'm going to have
> to strongly
> disagree. I believe that Man was meant to live on
> the "Strength-
> Giving Greens". I guess that would be called
> Vegetarianism, but the
> term has been Bastardized so much.....WY

Good for you!

F1

Date: May 29, 2008 04:20AM

Wheatgrass yogi,
I totally agree. I have encountered some strange takes on 'vegetarian'. Trying to order a vegetarian option at a particular resturant required a personalized visit to my table. His first question was if fish, chicken or clams were ok. Considering that most dishes in that cuisine contain those items, a distinction of 'vegetarian' in that sense is totally useless.

"Fruitarian" if applied too loosely could cause similiar problems. I could see how if it makes up the majority of the source of your calories it could apply, reguardless of any additions that don't really fit. But in my mind fruit would have to make up at least 50-60% of your caloric intake. I don't know somewhere the fruitarian term and practice could blur into vegan and vegetarian. Its really up to the fruitarian to decide if it really matters. But expect a lot of clarifications if you ever sit down and eat with people who don't understand!

Date: May 29, 2008 08:39AM

Mislu Wrote:
> Wheatgrass yogi,
> I totally agree. I have encountered some strange
> takes on 'vegetarian'.....
> "Fruitarian" if applied too loosely could cause
> similiar problems.
You can't argue with Success, and F1 is doing
something right. I like the term "Raw Vegan" with low Fat
and a balance of Fruits and Vegetables.
Smoothies are working very well for me. I like to live out
of my Blender.
Happy Hunting to us all for the Perfect Diet. When you find it....
Shhh....Don't tell anyone....Mums the Word.....WY

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: May 29, 2008 11:32AM

It's all just labels - because we are all individual, yet we are all human.
The longer I've been raw the more I've moved towards a more fruity diet. I eat greens and veg too (at this point in my life).

If someone asks me what I am - then that is a good question because I have no idea - just a being I suppose!

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Date: May 29, 2008 11:59AM

Azura Skye Wrote:
> It's all just labels - because we are all
> individual, yet we are all human.
> The longer I've been raw the more I've moved
> towards a more fruity diet. I eat greens and veg
> too (at this point in my life).
>
> If someone asks me what I am - then that is a good
> question because I have no idea - just a being I
> suppose!

Yep...it's all labels....no where in my post did I say that Fruitarianism was the way because everybody has a different idea of what fruitarianism is....it's up to the individual how they want to describe what they do to others, at the end of the day raw is raw.....if greens is your thing then great if fruits are your thing then great, if sometimes fruit is your thing then greens is your thing then great.....who has the right to judge.....as far as I'm concerned I couldn't care less about how others label themselves as long as they are happy and thriving and even if they are not happy and thriving it's still none of my business!

I think some people here get too pre-occupied with these different labels, to me Fruitarianism/Raw veganism is a long journey/way of life and it takes some people a while to settle into a way of being, I personaly think everybody is a fruitarian and raw food is raw food I don't use Raw Vegan to describe myself but even if I did it wouldn't make any difference because I'd still be doing the same thing anyway, that's just my choice/take on it, to me the only difference is the experience levels of the individual.

We all have raw foods in common and it's so funny that when ever somebody posts something about fruitarianism it turns into a discussion about who eats what....who cares, the concern should be making sure each individual that comes here has room to grow and thrive living the lifestyle the way that works for them!

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 12:07PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 29, 2008 11:59AM

Right. I don't even use the term 'raw' or 'fruitarian' when working in mixed company or in public (or in any critical eye). One-on-one, I use whatever term I think the person will most appreciate. Usually I just say, "I haven't eaten cooked food in 8 years." That's usually shocking enough to an individual's ears! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: May 29, 2008 12:14PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
> Right. I don't even use the term 'raw' or
> 'fruitarian' when working in mixed company or in
> public (or in any critical eye). One-on-one, I use
> whatever term I think the person will most
> appreciate. Usually I just say, "I haven't eaten
> cooked food in 8 years." That's usually shocking
> enough to an individual's ears! LOL.
>
> -David Z. Mason

Ha,ha....me niether infact nobody even knows I'm Fruitarian/raw on the outside world,unless it's business related, it's great, I think that there's more important things to focus on like your emotional, spiritual and physical activity, I usually only use the word Fruitarian out of habit more than anything else and usually only on the raw food forums, if anybody asks me what I eat I just say "I like fruits" I don't just go out and tell people I'm a Fruitarian, nobody on the outside world bugs me about labels or what I eat and even if regular folks do find out they are nothing but complimentry....usually the only way people find out is if I'm wearing my t-shirts or if somebody sees me training and wants to know my diet/how I get my results other than that I don't say jack coz who cares!

Ha,ha

I think everybody has the right to "label" themselves what ever they feel best describes them at any moment in time!

F1

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 12:29PM by The Fruitarian One.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 29, 2008 01:39PM

I think once you use labels, people and curiosity just want to know what that label entails - hence they ask, what do you eat. Think it is only natural for people to question things. The problem being, so many people then try to press their own views into the picture creating tension as I call it.

I ask simply because it is interesting how people can be so much the same but so different in their choices. I have been doing this long enough their answers no how will change my habits if it is not for me though. Unfortunately some people are sensitive when asked or get defensive on our side also and take questioning as confrontational.

When I am asked, I try to consider the person, the situation as well as the sincerity of the question and give my best answer. This answer may be very general or more detailed depending on the questioning. Ofcourse I'm not always correct the way I perceive the questioning, Lol :O)

Date: May 31, 2008 04:45AM

Lables? If you use words and have a set of ideals, then it seems like lables naturally follow. There is also truth in advertising, and mislabling, or sometimes obscure listing of ingredients.

-vegetable fat....whats that?

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: May 31, 2008 10:33AM

If your words have no meaning, why should we consider what you have to say?

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

Going to get the flame-proof suit now...

:\

Date: May 31, 2008 12:57PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
> If your words have no meaning, why should we
> consider what you have to say?
You shouldn't, and you don't. None of us do.
I just know I don't want to pattern my Life after Mangos'. Is
that how to be a Fruitarian?......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 31, 2008 07:18PM

After pondering the contents of this thread for a while, I don't have much to add, other than that...

I'm off to eat a cantaloupe!!!

The more you eat fruit, the more it works on your brain--it aids production of melatonin, reduces/balances harmful and aggressive levels of testosterone, plus a whole lot of stuff science is only beginning to explore. It rewires the neuroendocrine system. It makes me feel great. >8)

Seeing as the primates closest related to us (in terms of intelligence and digestive similarities) are frugivores, it makes sense, that in a way, we'd be eating mostly fruit.

How you want to define fruitarian is up to you. If you want to define yourself, it's up to you. I like the simple, Edenic philosophy behind eating fruit... but at this point in my journey, god knows I'd lose my mind without some nuts, greens, and sprouts from time to time!! It's the same with the fruit-eating monkeys. It's their predilection, but that won't stop them from eating bark and bugs from time to time. Raw food in general does plenty good for the mind and body. It's all FROM THE EARTH, not a laboratory (or worse). =)

In summary, to answer the original question, it is most important to eat what FEELS GOOD (provided it's raw/nourishes the body). Your body should be #1, it knows INFINITELY more about who you are and what you need than some stack of definitions on Wikipedia. A lot of people, over time, find that they only want fruit. But not everyone. It's just one of those mysteries of being alive. Eat what keeps you boiling over with joy to be ALIVE!

Date: May 31, 2008 07:25PM

Mango? He lost me at "Hi."

smiling smiley

If your words are completely subject offerings having no relationship to the dictionary definition, why bother speaking or writing?

[www.google.com]

[www.google.com]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 31, 2008 07:43PM

F1, WY and DZM have said wise words as always.

Not much else to add

Eat what feels good to YOU

What works for you and YOUR GOALS

period.

Date: June 01, 2008 07:03AM

Exactly. Labels and definitions are attempts to describe behavior, ideals, values, habits, or describe an item, emotion or a concept.

In this discussion:

Isn't an omnivore someone who eats a variety of plant and animal materials?

Vegetarian: someone who avoids eating flesh foods, and may also avoid use and consumption of non-food items which came from animals, such as leather, silk, bone.

A vegan, someone who is a vegetarian, but takes it a step further and avoids dairy products in addition to flesh foods.

Raw vegan, someone who is a vegan but also generally avoids consuming cooked foods. Either completely or severely limiting the amount by volume or calorie.

A fruitarian- a raw vegan whose eating habits center around fruit. Either entirely as in 'fruit only'diet. Or may include some amount of non-fruit vegan items, such as leaves, stems, nuts, seeds. But generally the sense is the desire to focus on living on fruit as the source of nutrients, calories and taste enjoyment, and other aspects of consuming and or growing fruit.

I have never been a strict fruitarian. But this is how I see it. I have read from fruitarian webpages, and generally the focus is on proper botanic fruit. Some discussion is on nuts and seeds. The webpages I observed on the fruitarian lifestyle never even discussed the merits of eating lettuce, celery, carrots or any other vegetable. Some have even gone as far as suggesting that they got ALL of their hydration needs from fruit, they didn't have need for water, there was enough in fruit. Some have even doubted the value of consuming mineral materials, salts etc, as they have not been processed by a plant and incorporated into fruit.

In my view the definitions are pretty straight forward. What is perhaps not so easy is how well people live up to the ideals they wish to take upon themselves. And also how they desire to be viewed by others. Their experience as they describe it often seems to be different from how other people view it. Especially by those who do not have experience with the fruitarian lifestyle, or perhaps no desire to gain experience.

Date: June 01, 2008 01:27PM

Hey Mislu, now don't you go bringing logic into it. That will garner you some snarky responses. smiling smiley

I liked what you had to say. But then, I like acknowledging the standard definitions of words. <sigh>

Date: June 09, 2008 01:15AM

Hello Lee 123,
I appreciate that, thank you. Standard definitions are what I like also. The strangest 'non definition' around diet & lifestyle has to be 'breatharian'. It sounds like something to do with being sustained by air, and for some it is...sort of. But they say the enviroment is polluted so they have to eat something to wash stuff out. But then there is a guy who is 'breatharian' when asked about the last time he ate, and what he ate, it was a cheeseburger, two hours ago. It was so that he could be in spiritual harmony with his community, to which most people eat cheeseburgers on a daily basis.

That is interesting however, the concept of eating less than ideal things for spiritual unity with other people. I think I do a little too much of that myself.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 09, 2008 08:32PM

"But then there is a guy who is 'breatharian' when asked about the last time he ate, and what he ate, it was a cheeseburger, two hours ago."

^Two hours in Breatharian Standard Time...?

I joke. =)

Sometimes the social environment can be an extremely trying thing... =S I think the trick is to be able to make spiritual harmony with others, while still MAINTAINING the harmony within yourself (whatever decision you choose to make!).

Date: June 09, 2008 08:50PM

Mislu Wrote:
> Hello Lee 123,
> I appreciate that, thank you. Standard definitions
> are what I like also. The strangest 'non
> definition' around diet & lifestyle has to be
> 'breatharian'. It sounds like something to do with
> being sustained by air, and for some it is...sort
> of. But they say the enviroment is polluted so
> they have to eat something to wash stuff out. But
> then there is a guy who is 'breatharian' when
> asked about the last time he ate, and what he ate,
> it was a cheeseburger, two hours ago. It was so
> that he could be in spiritual harmony with his
> community, to which most people eat cheeseburgers
> on a daily basis.
>
> That is interesting however, the concept of eating
> less than ideal things for spiritual unity with
> other people. I think I do a little too much of
> that myself.

Yeah...don't forget the diet coke!!!!....there's a Breatharian that says you gotta have the coke with your beef burger to get the full effect of getting into the 4/5 dimension, it's funny because when Breatharians slip up they slip up hard and go straight to cooked jhunk food, you'd think they would slip up on fruits!...ha,ha

F1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 08:52PM by The Fruitarian One.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables