Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Yucky Spirulina
Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: June 10, 2008 01:17PM

All right. So I got this nutrex spirulina powder that I added to my morning juice breakfast today. The green color did not bother me, but the smell did! I dislike that "sea" smell. Also the taste was kinda like boiled yolk?

I added about a tablespoon and it felt so heavy! It's been like 1.5 hrs and I still feel full.

I am sure it's just an acquired taste I will get used to it. But wanted to rant!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yucky Spirulina
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: June 10, 2008 03:30PM

The odor was strong to me at first also. Now I just bury a tablespoon or two in my fruit and green smoothies - can't smell or taste it at all after that. Makes the green smoothies ultra green too. Love it.

Posted by: lemoned ()
Date: June 10, 2008 04:40PM

I don't like it either. I have tried to make a concotion of the three supplements I was taking at the time (msm, hemp oil, spirulina) as a shot and chased it with water and that made me really sick several times lol.Now I can't even be near spirulina without wanting to hurl

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 10, 2008 08:03PM

I've been putting it into avo miso soup with various veggies, a few mung, adzuki, & lentil sprouts, and a little pepper blend and find that this combo of flavors is actually pretty good. Of course it's 95 degrees out and I've never had this soup cold -- I usually make it with warm water and spicy so it warms me. Needless to say, I haven't had spirulina in a few weeks!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 11, 2008 02:55AM

I just started puting spirulina in my green smoothies and I was wondering just how much of it we need. I put a teaspoon and still could taste it.

Date: June 11, 2008 01:12PM

Same with me pampam. I can taste it through ginger, garlic, apples, oranges! But I want to persevere and see if I can start enjoying it.

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: June 11, 2008 11:33PM

i`ve never put spirulina in my smoothies but i do add a green supp that i think probably tastes along the same lines...pineapple seems to mask it a bit but no matter what i add i can taste it and i`ve grown accustomed to it. also adding ice to my smoothies helps anything that may taste "off".

Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: June 12, 2008 12:37AM

IT tastes good with cranberry juice to me. Janice

Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: June 17, 2008 07:39PM

I like it. I often eat make put it in with raw cacao, coconut, banana smoothies and date. I can't even taste it. Mabe the cacao covers the taste. I like it's effects, which are very energizing for me. I guess everyone needs to find the foods that suits them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2008 07:41PM by Joanne81.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 28, 2008 03:45PM

Spirulina works much better in savory recipes rather than sweet, such as a soup or a dip. Even just mixing it with avocado is tasty.

Here's some ideas:

Spirulina Guacamole Dip
3 Tbs Spirulina
2 Avocados
Tomato
1 cup Cilantro
Garlic clove
Onion
Jalapeno
Lime and/or Lemon, juice
Dash Salt
Blend all but stir in tomatoes.

Spirulina Soup
1 tsp Spirulina
Handful Spinach
½ Avocado
¼ Cucumber
Basil 7-8 leaves
3 Garlic cloves
Cayenne

Green Popcorn
Cauliflower, 1 whole chopped in popcorn size pieces
4-8 heaping tsp Nutritional Yeast
3-5 tbs Spirulina
2 tsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
Black Pepper
Water, splash
Put in a gallon size zip lock bag & shake.

Hot Sauce
Spirulina
Apple Cider Vinegar
Cayenne Pepper
Salt

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: June 29, 2008 12:49PM

I used to get a spirulina and blueberry smoothie at this vegan restaurant. It didn't taste bad at all. The restaurant has unfortunately closed down, as has the only raw place near me. Kind of a bummer that the only places that I seem to be able to eat any more as an outing with friends and family is steakhouses because of the salad bars.

Date: June 30, 2008 01:18PM

Oh an update. I don't mind the taste at all. I have increased by intake by 25%. So it's all good!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: July 01, 2008 11:11AM

I am allergic to spirulina.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables