Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you make your hummus?
Date: June 13, 2008 12:53AM

Does anyone have a good alternative to zucchini hummus? I just don't like it, for some reason. I use zucchini, lemon, garlic, tahini. It's always got an "off" taste. But I'd love to have a nice, smooth, thick hummus to dip into. Anyone use anything other than zucchini? Or should I try sprouting chick peas maybe? I've never tried sprouting before.

I just want some hummus!!

Raw again since April 29, 2008.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you make your hummus?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 13, 2008 01:32AM

Some people swear by raw hummus made with actual chickpeas. I think it's okay, but it's more work and I prefer the stuff made with zucchini anyway. Chavez is being a purist here by using sesame seeds instead of buying raw tahini. You could substitute the tahini if you prefer. Below that, see an entirely different hummus idea which I have never tried.

Hummus from the Raw Food Gourmet by Gabrielle Chavez

2 c. dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and sprouted for 2-3 days
1 c. brown, unhulled, raw sesame seeds, soaked for several hours to overnight, rinsed and drained
1 bunch parsley, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
juice of 3-4 lemons
1/2 - 1 c. olive oil
1-2 t. salt, or to taste

Using a juicer with homogenizing blank in place, process sesame seeds into a paste. In food processor, place liquid ingredients, salt, celery, and parsley together and liquefy. Add sesame seed paste and blend. Add garbanzos in small amounts through the open top and carefully push down with a rubber spatula.

Hummus from Raw Food, Real World by Matthew Kenney and Sarma Melngailis

4 c. cashews, soaked for 2 hours or more
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 small cloves garlic
1/4 c. sesame tahini
1 t. sea salt
1 c. water

In a food processor, add the nuts, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, and salt and process, adding water 1/4 c. at a time until you get the smooth, fluffy consistency of hummus. You may need to add more water, or you may want to add olive oil for a richer hummus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 01:34AM by frances.

Posted by: Duo ()
Date: June 13, 2008 03:40AM

Warning with sprouting chickpeas-- you may munch them all away before its time to blend. They are so good crunchy and plain, I can hardly stand to blend them into hummus anymore

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 13, 2008 09:50AM

i've been making mine fat free lately.

sprouted chickpeas (not too sprouted, very short tails!)
lemon juice
water
salt
peppper

blend everything.
i do not blend in the blender as you would need too much water/lemon juice.
i use a food processor.

you could add some oil if you want (sesame, olive) and ground sesame seeds or tahini paste. this is how i make it for others.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 13, 2008 12:14PM

I make mine with sprouted chickpeas, ground raw sesame seeds, lemon juice, water, garlic, olive oil, s&p, and whatever herbs I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes it's a little spicy with cumin and cayenne (or my honey's pepper blend), sometimes I put in basil or arugula for a pesto spin. I never measure anything, so I don;t know the proportions, but 4:1 for the chickpeas to sesame.

Date: June 13, 2008 03:07PM

Thanks for all the replies! It seems that sprouted chickpeas are the way to go. I'm going to go buy a bag today...so excited! I've really been craving hummus, maybe with some sun dried tomatoes thrown in for good measure....yum.

Date: June 13, 2008 03:20PM

I just found this youtube video that shows how to sprout your own, in case there's anyone else out there like me who has no idea how to do it. Very informative.

[www.happy2beme.com]

The links on the right have good hummus and wrap recipes. Now I have to find a cheap sprouter!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 13, 2008 03:49PM

Sprouted chickpeas for SURE...

The only problem is when the hummus monster strikes, you absolutely can't wait another day to eat some, and you realize it will be at least 24 hours for the little guys to sprout.

One sun dried red pepper will really vamp up the flavor! =)

Posted by: kris5194 ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:39PM

I love hummus too!
I have recipe in my book "Shining Light RAW RECIPES for life"....You can use yellow summer squash instead of zucchini,too...zucchini is very quick to ferment,thus the 'off' flavor. I like chickpeas best, but yellow summer squash, sesame seeds,lemon juice,garlic,salt a few dates and ripe avocado blended together is super good, too....just add enough lemon juice to keep the squash fresh.If you are interested in my book,which is 365+ raw recipes (these are old Mennonite recipes converted to RAW) call me,Kristi at 606-674-9782

Posted by: nnaydolem ()
Date: June 13, 2008 08:51PM

Howdy All!

This is my first post. I am curious. How do you get chickpeas to sprout. I have just started this WOL in the past month or so, so i am still learning everything.

Thanks in advance!

Date: June 13, 2008 11:03PM

Hi nnaydolem...welcome!

Look upthread where I linked to the video on how to sprout them. It seems pretty easy to understand. Although I have to be honest and say that maybe I'll just soak mine for a day, and use them that way, without sprouting them. I don't know if I can wait that long!

Posted by: nnaydolem ()
Date: June 13, 2008 11:19PM

that made me laugh...thank you so much! smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 14, 2008 02:16AM

I made a salad today, and thought of this thread.

1 head romaine lettuce (chopped)
1 big handful baby greens

juice and pulp of 1 lemon
1 tbsp agave
1 tsp tahini
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
^whirled in a small bowl by hand for dressing

Finally, sprinkle with as many sprouted chickpeas as you like!!

MMM!!

I don't really like green smoothies, but I love hummus, so I guess it's a Green Hummus Compromise.

Date: June 14, 2008 03:01AM

Heehee....Green Hummus Compromise! Wouldn't that make a great band name?

I am so having that salad tomorrow. I have been reaaaaallly craving chick peas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables