Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watermelon Feasting
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 22, 2008 02:16AM

Has anyone here watermelon FEASTED before... as in eaten nothing but watermelon for an extended period of time? Long-term mono-eaten?

What are you experiences? How much melon did you typically consume? Seeds, no seeds, organic, conventional? Yellow watermelon? (Is that allowed?) Do you eat the rind? angry smiley Tips, suggestions? How to break the feast? 2 melons per day would be about $12-13, so it would also be a more economical feast (I always wanted to mono-pomegranate, but that is far from practical). Is that a reasonable assumption? Did you ever get extremely cold? (Watermelon does this to me sometimes.)

I am having an extended vacation for the upcoming holiday, and figured it would be a great time to feast. I'm also seriously overdue for some kind of reality check with my eating--I've been overeating way too much way too often, and about once a week, a clever yam makes its way into my grocery cart (as you can see by my wording, the yam is totally at fault). I've got some mild acne I'm determined to eliminate. I've entered new emotional headspace... and I've been considering fasting/feasting for a while.

Now the time is ripe! The season is ripe! THE MELONS ARE RIPE!!

But I would be very keen on hearing anyone else's experience with THE MELONS. I've heard of people going months at a time on them... mono-eating moreso than any other fruit.

Thanks for sharing!!!! <3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watermelon Feasting
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 22, 2008 02:30AM

Yes. My experiences were excellent. About 1 large melon per day. Conventiaonal Seedless usually....but seeded is fine too. Haven't had yellow yet (that I can recall). No...I don't eat the rind. Tips? Listen for the high-pitched thump! How to break the fast: A little fresh orange juice is great.... I think. No...not cold. But watermelon is very cleansing. Eating too much can cause some cramping. Not to mention....ahem....other eliminatory functions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 22, 2008 02:39AM

Yep...I do it every summer till the fall/winter....

F1

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: June 22, 2008 11:26AM

I love (water)melons too and wish they were more available over here!

Best wishes for your challenge phantom!

Cheers,
J

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: June 22, 2008 12:46PM

I would be up for the challenge with you phantom - have you started yet? LMK if you want to go at it together. VF

Date: June 22, 2008 05:57PM

Sure, that would be awesome, veggiefreak! I haven't really decided how long I'd like to go for--the longest I've ever done was an MC for ten days. Thirty would be quite the challenge. >8)

I was thinking about starting Wednesday or Thursday... basically whenever my groceries run out. angry smiley Haha.

I'll also let everyone know when I start and how it goes!

Thanks for your input and support. =) I'm just thinking... the watermelon is such a NICE fruit. It's sweet, mellow, refreshing--and some of my other loves, like mangoes, have made my mouth sore in the past when eating too much. Watermelon never does that--it would be out of character. I delight in slurping the leftover water in the bowl/melon after I've eaten all the flesh. It's also totally economical to literally eat until I'm full--you just CAN'T get through a giant melon in one sitting! At least, I can't. =)

Date: June 23, 2008 06:59PM

Okay - let's do it! Anyone else in? My only concern is that I do not want to lose weight and am not sure I can hold my weight with JUST watermelon. Any input?

Is anyone else up for the challenge? I think that F1 is already watermelon feasting. Wed or Thurs works for me Phantom, should we set up a new thread to talk in the diary section or just talk in this thread?

I am not sure how long I want to feast for either - I am thinking that I am going to take it day by day and will not go less than three days....ten is too much of a committment for me at this point. Although the only thing I think will stop me is weight loss.

Date: June 24, 2008 01:59AM

I'll start one in the diary forum. (Ooh... my first post there.)

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 24, 2008 07:17AM

you can hold weight on just watermelon

keep active..you will be fine! Nipping over to the journal section for a read now smiling smiley

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: June 25, 2008 01:15PM

I'd love to join you in the watermelon feast! I'm ready for today, or tomorrow... whichever. I've been focusing on watermelon and Orange Juice the last 4 days, it feels great!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: June 25, 2008 02:13PM

Awesome!! We are in the journal section too Sunflower. So glad to have other support while I am venturing into new charted territory winking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 25, 2008 08:07PM

Wow, the prices for organic watermelon are terrible! I just got back from my local co-op and organic seedless are a $1.25lb. Seeded watermelon was a bit cheaper but those at the store had a hollow sound when tapping, so I thought they were mushy/over-ripe. I also cruised by the farmers market but they didn't have watermelons.

I guess if I want to eat watermelon, I'll just have to grimace and pay the price or eat conventional for fifty cents a pound. It just bothers me to pay $25++ for a piece of organic fruit that will blow a hole in my food budget for the month. If the prices continue to rise, I'm going to have to be satisfied with apples instead of melons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables