Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Seeking advice (raw diet newb)
Posted by: pacman7293 ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:26AM

I have just failed to assume a 100% raw diet after attempting to do for 1 week.

1) I realized all raw nuts have already been pasteurized (not just almonds) and I have been depending on those for the past week. (This also eliminates the option of sprouting them.) Thus I've not actually assumed a 100% raw diet.

2) Any attempt to sprout beans has failed resulting in a load of rancid garbanzo bean sprouts - that had to be discarded.

3) My weight has been unable to be maintained, as I am a full-on athlete with fast metabolism, need allot of calories and protein. Furthermore my appetite is not big - thus I need a source of food with high caloric/protien content per gram.

- I was planning to use Raw Nuts as that essential supplement but I've found out that there is no such thing as raw nuts.

4) It seems that the sources of raw beans, (as a replacement for nuts) is very limited as most contain some aspect that is toxic until cooked.

Finnaly, I would like to attain a 100% raw diet. But it seems the food options are much more limited than I even previously suspected. Right now I'm eating on a bowl of roasted/salted mixed nuts as emergency rations for my drop in weight and protein intake for the past days.

Any advice for my plight? I have enjoyed eating raw vegetables and I seen no reason to stop, as the enzymes and vitamins are more nutritious. As for concentrated calories and protein however - I simply don't have the carrying capacity to get all of what I need from straight vegetables. This means nuts seeds or legumes. All of which must be sprouted (and which I haven't found the luck to pull off yet) however the reasonable options are immediately reduced to seeds or legumes and within those categories is further reduced.

Finally, without eating a whole refrigerator of fresh vegetables per day, I see no other way to even fill a 2000 calorie diet with only vegetables and fruits. That meaning seeds and legumes are the only option- and within those categories that is very limited - and requires the lifestyle change to leisurely prepearing food to constant spout production.

If I've missed any secrets I would be grateful for any illumination, on how to solve these problems.

Namaste

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking advice (raw diet newb)
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:43AM

I am not really convinced that you need all that extra protein. I have tried low, moderate, and high protein diets and low-moderate is best for me, but you can experiment to see what works best for you. If you make a change, make it gradually. Your body will need time to accomodate to a lower protein diet.

There aren't any truly high protein raw vegan foods aside from greens. You could juice several cups of greens and/or add massive quantities to your smoothies. Or you can fudge it with rice or hemp protein powder which are processed but at low temperatures.

I still eat beans and 1 tbsp of rice protein powder (nutribiotic) per day. They are satisfying and add body to my veg and fruit salads respectively.

Also, you can put flax, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds on everything and include sesame in the blender for your veg salad dressings.

One more thing is to make sure you get enough calories. The body make better use of the available aminos when the calories are also at least adequate. It's not good to drastically decrease calories *and* protein intake at th same time. Unless you are doing a short-term fast or something like that.

Date: June 24, 2008 12:57AM

I do have hemp seeds. I guess I kind of panicked because i seem to have dropped weight. I forgot about hemp seeds. 2 tbsp being 160 cals with 10 grams of protien is almost too good to believe...

I've never watched my diet (or liveit as one man calls it) closely. I've simply focused on "protien" like the SAD doctrine or cultural rap does.

I guess i'm gonna have to get off nuts compleltly considering they are all cooked - and just use seeds and beans.

I'm aiming for at least 50-60 grams per day. And honestly I don't think i've ever gotten that much in my life on a regualar basis.

So i'm not giving up yet.

Any comments welcome

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 24, 2008 01:00AM

pacman7293 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have just failed to assume a 100% raw diet after
> attempting to do for 1 week.

I have just failed to assume a 100% raw vegan diet after attempting to do so for 10 years, I'm just high raw and only that for the last two years.
>
> 1) I realized all raw nuts have already been
> pasteurized

I only eat nuts when I feel like it and I don't make them a big staple.

> 2) Any attempt to sprout beans has failed

Same here, indigestion all around.

> 3) My weight has been unable to be maintained, as
> I am a full-on athlete with fast metabolism.

Then transition slowly, take a year or two. You'll probably notice a huge weight decrease and then increase at one point as old cells are discarded and new ones rebuilt.

> 4) It seems that the sources of raw beans, (as a
> replacement for nuts) is very limited as most
> contain some aspect that is toxic until cooked.

Yes, the main thing that I'm still eating cooked, is beans.

> Finnaly, I would like to attain a 100% raw diet.
> But it seems the food options are much more
> limited than I even previously suspected.

Yes, it takes a while to learn about new foods, think about how a baby learns to eat solid foods. They don't hit him with a 7 course meal all at once. They introduce new foods, one at a time and watch for reactions.

> Any advice for my plight? I have enjoyed eating
> raw vegetables and I seen no reason to stop, as
> the enzymes and vitamins are more nutritious.

Same here, even though I'm a failure at 100%

As
> for concentrated calories and protein however - I
> simply don't have the carrying capacity to get all
> of what I need from straight vegetables.

Coconuts & avocados would be my choice for dense calories. Hemp seed powder is supposed to be a great choice for a protein powder because it has a variety of amino acids.

Date: June 24, 2008 01:08AM

Here's my 2 cents...

Going raw is nothing to be taken lightly, it's not something that you can just decide to do and within a week your doing it....it's a complete body overhaul and reprogramming of the mind...I say reprogramming because we have been conditioned from birth to self medicate with food.

As far as being a full on athlete goes...well you can believe the "calories/protien" thing if you want to but either way your performance will be effected at some point because like I say...this is a total body over haul and all your energy will be used to clean and heal your body.....

There's so much more to take into account that will be personal to you but that's something you gotta find out for yourself....

F1

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 24, 2008 04:32AM

Most of the info I've read suggests that we get too much protein, and that amino acids are more efficiently utilized by the body than complete proteins. If you want to add good fats and calories, buzz a couple tablespoons of flax seeds in a coffee grinder and add them to a smoothie, and add avocados to your diet. That's what I do.
Good luck.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 24, 2008 07:03PM

You dont need any of the things you mentioned, sprouted beans, nuts..whatever

What are YOUR goals?

If your serious about this, then get your mind, body and home prepared..read 8-1-1.. get active..and dont obsess over your food or this nutrient that nutrient.. just eat and train.. period

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 24, 2008 07:19PM

Pacman:

-I hear you man. But as the great posters above mentioned.......no one is FORCING you to adhere to some program that does not work for you. Take the information (that raw food is healthy food) and incorporate it at a rate that is right for YOU. This is an education process....and you are learning in a way that will let you feel it in your bones when you are successful - TRIAL AND ERROR! Ha! ha!

-When you are done/successful at YOUR goals......you'll have the real-world knowledge to help yourself.....and consequently help others.

-Power to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: nnaydolem ()
Date: June 24, 2008 07:24PM

i know this might seem silly. however, toby mcquire is a vegetarian...and he was pretty in shape for the spiderman movies...i am sure there are aspects of what he did that can be used.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: June 25, 2008 03:26AM

You can purchase raw nuts and seeds!
A trick with sprouting Garbanzo beans... in the heat, you need to rinse them 3-4 times a day to avoid them going moldy... If you soak over night Friday night, and rinse a few times Saturday and Sunday, they should be ready some time Sunday. They are very fast to sprout!
Try eating lots of bananas! They are high calorie and energy, very filling, and cost effective.
Other high fat options you may want to include in your diet: flax oil, hemp seed oil, avocados, coconut oil!
If you feel like you need to eat more than fruits and vegetables, especially in the beginning, then do so. These other foods may help to keep you full, satisfied, and energized.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

its ok really
Posted by: Iboga ()
Date: June 25, 2008 11:19PM

I back to a mostly raw/vegan diet after 3 years of 99% raw and one year of about 50% raw. My suggestion to you in addition to getting plenty of green food/superfood:

Eat "raw" organic soaked-nuts and seeds,

continue sprouting legumes beans (rinsing twice, thrice a day) sprouting beans de-activates enzyme-inhibitors just as cooking does.

Try eating more soaked grains/seeds, seeds are good for you!
(millet, rye, rice, oats, sesame, flax, hemp...)

Maybe try supplementing enzymes and pro-biotics, to increase digestive virility.

Or

its ok really
Date: June 25, 2008 11:19PM

I back to a mostly raw/vegan diet after 3 years of 99% raw and one year of about 50% raw. My suggestion to you in addition to getting plenty of green food/superfood:

Eat "raw" organic soaked-nuts and seeds,

continue sprouting legumes beans (rinsing twice, thrice a day) sprouting beans de-activates enzyme-inhibitors just as cooking does.

Try eating more soaked grains/seeds, seeds are good for you!
(millet, rye, rice, oats, sesame, flax, hemp...)

Maybe try supplementing enzymes and pro-biotics, to increase digestive virility.

Date: June 26, 2008 02:50AM

ok i gotta try soaking oats...

I guess i'll just post this here...

How do you avoid food poisoning?

This is what happened 2 days ago or about: I went out to buy "raw" brazil nuts in a sort of panic becuase I noticed I was loosing weight and I thought it was because of my diet and wasn't getting enough cals or somthing... Then when I got home I realised all "raw" nuts are pasturized to a certian extent in harvesting and processing so I just went out and bought some baked mixed nuts... I ate them both...

that evening I faced some serious puking food poisioning. I feel i'm finnaly over it but I lost even more weight 3lbs total...

So my question to you all is how do you avoid the bacteria and parasites that reside in raw uncooked food?

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: June 26, 2008 03:21AM

Hmmm, could it have been that the nuts were rancid?

A thought just occured to me about your weight loss, its water weight, yah I'm absolutely sure. You've changed your diet for the better and are probably eating less salt and other toxins. Salt makes the body retain 96 times the weight of the salt in water to neutralize (dilute) the salt. And you are just losing water, now that you are detoxing the salt.

Date: June 26, 2008 03:51AM

I suggest sulfur hot springs.

>how do you avoid the bacteria and parasites that reside in raw uncooked food?

silver, grapefruit seed extract, black walnut, papaya seeds, very hot peppers...

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 26, 2008 04:26AM

how do you avoid the bacteria and parasites that reside in raw uncooked food?

Chew well.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 26, 2008 04:29AM

If your internal terrain is clean, for the most part, these little guys won't have anything to feed on.

Date: June 26, 2008 02:31PM

=D

PROTEIN
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2008 04:38PM

You can definately get raw and even sprouted nuts at health food stores and online. Also, consider Chia Seeds for Protein. They are great to throw in your smoothies. For energy and training as an athlete, try E3 Live. It's a frozen algae super food that contains basically everything your body needs.

Phantom is right about the internal terrain. Make sure you are abstaining from refined sugars and processed foods, and taking steps to stay alkaline. If you are alkaline and your body is in balance, the parasites do not have the proper conditions to take hold in your body...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables