Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How often do you exercise
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 01, 2008 09:10PM

Dear all,

I wanted to ask you how often and for how long (every time) do you exercise. I know that it depends on our age, weight etc., But how do you all find time to exercise.

Here's what I do: I go to the gym twice a week Monday and Friday and workout for an hour each time. On wednesday I do yoga at home. I think this is not enough as I still have tight muscles etc., and feel great when I exercise more...

Can you please share your routines... How do you find time and inspiration to exercise with work/kids/family commitments etc

Take care
A Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How often do you exercise
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 01, 2008 09:20PM

I exercise 6 days a week. Recently, I'm doing the following:

MON/ WED/ FRI:
Cardio Kickboxing, 45 minutes
Walk/jog, 50 minutes
Push ups, 3 x 30

TUES/ THURS/ SAT;
Cardio Kickboxing, 45 minutes
Strength Training, 20 minutes
Abs, 10 minutes

SUN:
Yoga, 45 minutes
(my rest day)

I'm 46 years old and I've never felt better. The combination of raw food and plenty of exercise. I wish I had done this sooner like when I was 20.

ME BEFORE RAW AND EXERCISE:

ME THIS PAST SATURDAY:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2008 09:26PM by roxeli.

Date: July 01, 2008 09:55PM

MAKE TIME!

F1

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 01, 2008 10:15PM

I go to the gym in the afternoon *almost* daily with my husband. (It helps that it's only 4 blocks away.) I used to work out, but over the past several months I've been doing mostly yoga. I do (alternately) either 30 minutes of the easier Bikram yoga stretching poses, or 10-15 minutes of what I consider the toughest poses: the Cobra, the Plow and a sort of easy wall version of a headstand (plus a little stretching). I usually then go into the Nautillus room and do the 'dip' and the 'pull-down' chairs for about 10 minutes.

About twice a week I do 30 minutes of steam and sauna at the gym before I exercise.

If I don't get to the gym, I do yoga at home late at night, unless I forget. Once in awhile I dance to ambient music for awhile for exercise.

Lately, I've found a new form of exercise: weeding in the garden! I weeded for 2-1/2 hours Sunday in a Zen meditation position, sitting on my legs and feet (which normally would have driven me nuts after 5 minutes). I got so absorbed in pulling out the 'bad' weeds and putting aside the precious little purslane 'weeds' to eat that I didn't notice any discomfort. However, when I woke up Monday morning my glutes were so stiff and sore! Even today they still hurt when I go up and down stairs.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 01, 2008 10:21PM

I walk 40 min about 5 days a week.
And a 20 min circuit weight workout about 3 days a week.
Brian

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 01, 2008 10:36PM

I exercise every day
but I don't really call it exercise
more like "play time"

I can't imagine not exercising
i would feel very sad and melancholy if I didn't go out..get some sunshine.. and "play"

I also like it when I can partner up with another person who also loves to "play" . I teach them some stuff... they teach me stuff... its awesome!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 02, 2008 12:48AM

Every day as well.

I have a three-day rotation that goes as follows:

Day 1 - Yoga for 1.5 to 2 hours. 1 hour (at least) walk (not necessarily all at once)
Day 2 - Run for .5 to 1 hour. 1 hour (at least) walk
Day 3 - Jumprope for 5 min. or so. Light yoga, about 45 min. 1 hour (at least) walk

Then repeat. If I feel I need a day "off," I will do so. But I feel great usually.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 02, 2008 12:51AM

Strength training almost every day (I sometimes skip the weekends or extremely busy days) and cardio 3-5 times a week. Over the last year and a half I've slowly gone from seeing exercise as a drudgery, something else to check off my list, to precious time I enjoy every day.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 02, 2008 01:15AM

Anuiyer,

If you have Comcast Cable, you should be able to get the ON DEMAND workouts through Exercise TV. The workouts vary in length but you can find a lot that are 20 minutes long. Perfect if you're short on time. They have categories for Yoga, Dance, Abs, Toning, etc.

You can find it under: ON DEMAND > SPORTS/FITNESS > EXERCISE TV.

Exercise TV also has workouts you can download for $1.99, $2.99 and bundled workouts for $11.99.

Fruitarian is right. You just make the time. The same way you make the time to brush your teeth. It's a lot easier for me though because I only have one kid and she's about to turn 18.

I used to begrudgingly do my workouts but now I'm addicted and I look forward to my workouts. Once I reach my ideal weight and fitness level, I'll work at just maintaining my results. But for now, I still have this abdominal fat that just won't burn off fast enough for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2008 01:16AM by roxeli.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 02, 2008 01:48AM

I walk around the block once a day.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: July 02, 2008 05:20AM

I do bikram yoga five mornings a week (studio's a 10-minute walk from home). The other two days it's a half hour or so of various yoga poses when I wake up, starting with prana yama breathing. Then later in the day I usually walk 30 to 45 minutes across town which, believe me, is a heck of a workout in with all the steep inclines around here (San Francisco).

~lanie

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: July 02, 2008 05:20AM

every day.

* run 30-60 minutes 3-4x/week
* high intensity bodyweight stuff 15-20 min 2x/week
* kettlebells 45 min 2x/week

that's only about 5 hours a week. counteracting the 40+ hrs i spend sitting at my desk at work!

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: July 02, 2008 05:32AM

I workout 5 days a week, 1/2 hour strength training, 1/2 hour cardio. Sometimes the strength takes me one whole hour. It was a program that I got from a personal trainer at the YWCA. It cost about 50$ for a session and she gave me a program, something different to do everyday for 5 days. Although I am happy to see everyone working out, I really suggest you try a personal trainer to get a program. For an entire year I was just willy nilly doing what I wanted to do, running a bit, lifting weights etc. I still did it 5 days a week, for an hour, but the results were very poor compared to what I do now. I think it is our nature to not want to push ourselves too hard, but somehow when its the PROGRAM I will push myself very hard. Its been one month already and my stomach looks totally different and I have muscles in my legs I didn't even know existed. Good luck!

Posted by: Weronika ()
Date: July 02, 2008 07:44AM

Hi!

I see you have 3 little ones. Thats alot of work.

First of all I excercise every other day... I rest one day to let my body rest. Im a runner and get really motivated because I really want to run a marathon next year. Right now when it is summer I walk alot too...but I love that and dont see it as excercise really. I ride the bicycle too. I just love to excercise.
I do yoga also once a week.

Somethings that motivates me. There are studdies shown that if you run you live longer. There is something in the body(dont know the english word for it-you can imagine its like a stick getting smaller the longer lifes goes on-and when you run it actually dont get reduced as fast)that scientists think has a connection to ageing and death.
Besides this you have more energy, feel more happier etcetera.

Also about sickness like demens (I dont know if that is correct word but it has to do with loosing memory at old age) can be prevented by exercising, eating healthy, having a social life etcetera...but studdies show that the best excercise against these kinds of sicknessess is dancing! And that is because (they think) is because you both exercise your body and your brain (what step is the next...).
So there are a lot of benefits with excercising.

But why dont you just play with your kids, or do something with your kids (not watching tv but moving in some way).Play soccer or something. During the weekend ride the bike with your kids in a park or things like this.
Or perhaps your husband could look after the kids for 2 hours when he comes home and give you time to excercise. And do it with friends if you want.
I know there are moms out there that wakes up an hour earlier in the morning to find time to excercise... but thats hard.

Try to swet hard once a week...but I think its more important to move in the daily life. I mean instead of sitting on the coach, playing with your kids, cleaning is excercise in a way too...

I dont have kids yet. So my life is quite easy.
A friend of mine have a child (4y). She walks/runs some times a week (about an hour a week). Her husband take care of the child when he gets home and she always excercise with friends. Then after dinner (they are not raw) the husband goes for a walk for an hour to clear his head and she takes care of the child.

Oh besides-my grandpa did run (he has run marathons) with one of his kids (my uncle) when he still lived at home. It was their thing. So when your children get older-do something with them.

Ok this was long-hope you understand everything I wanted to say.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: July 02, 2008 10:42AM

Almost every day.
About every 2 or 3 days I go for a 30 miles mountain bike ride, and the other days I work out weight or bodyweight for at least an hour.
And in the meantime, I have plenty of exercise since I'm building my house, and doing lots of agryoga (meditation while farming ;-))

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 02, 2008 12:31PM

I also have a little one at home, and I find it hard to always fit exercise in, but I need to just do it, make it a priority. I have a membership at the YMCA, which helps, so I can take my daughter there while I work out. She loves it there. I do the cross training machine and the treadmill, sometimes row on the rowing machine. I also do yoga at home (my daughter loves yoga and is a crack up to do it with!) and take several long walks with her in the stroller every week. Also, I work as a server in a restaurant, so 20 to 30 hours a week I walk almost constantly (lucky me!)

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 02, 2008 02:18PM

I'm finally beginning to get how important exercise is.
I'm fasting now, and so my exercise is gentle at this time and I'm looking forward to getting in better shape as I rebuild with raw & I begin to move out of detox mode.

I found this article online.

Being Physically Active More Important Than Being Lean, Says Research
by David Gutierrez

(NaturalNews) Your physical fitness is more important than your weight in protecting your health, according to a new study conducted by researchers at the University of South Carolina and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Researchers followed 2,600 people over the age of 59 for 12 years, monitoring their physical fitness, obesity and mortality. Participants were ranked for fitness based on how long they could walk on a treadmill as the incline increased. Measures of obesity taken included body mass index, waist circumference and body fat percentage.

Participants were divided into fifths based on how well they scored on the treadmill test. Those in the lowest fifth were four times more likely to die during the study period as those in the top fifth.

"Being fit provides protection against mortality in these men and women 60 and older, whether they're normal weight, overweight or obese," said researcher Stephen Blair.

Even a small difference in fitness translated into a large difference in mortality -- even when compared only with the next highest group, those in the lowest fitness group were still twice as likely to die. Blair said this showed that overweight people should not be discouraged from exercising, even if they are out of shape and can only manage a little at first.

"If you're overweight or obese and you're sedentary and unfit and you start taking three 10-minute walks a day and you do that at least five days a week, you're not going to lose an enormous amount of weight," Blair said. "You're going to still be heavy. But you're going to be much healthier if you do that."

Blair noted that it is still important to maintain a healthy weight and eat a good diet, particularly one high in fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

"But what happens all too often is we focus nearly exclusively on obesity and forget the activity and fitness part."

Date: July 04, 2008 02:42AM

4 to 5 days a week but we live in an area where we can walk a lot (to stores, taking the dog out several times a day etc) so I keep a decent level of activity every day.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 04, 2008 04:19PM

I run around at my job a lot, so while I'm not sedentary (another reason I CAN'T get a sitting job!), I realize sometimes it's stressful on the body and not ideal activity.

So, whenever I'm not working, and it's not raining, I will romp around the surrounding forests for an hour or two. Mostly like a little kid, though... have to stop and smell the flowers, follow the butterflies, run across the fallen trees, jump along the stones in the stream.... <3

Maybe not intense cardio, but I feel awesome during and after. =)

I also have phases where, "I'm going to run EVVVEERRYYYDAAAAYYY!!!!!" ....and two weeks later, that's up in flames. Same with yoga... do it every day for a few months, and then pffffffffttt. I get bored with anything ritualized. That's why the forest wins. =D

Date: July 04, 2008 04:38PM

I do something everyday. Even if it's just rebounding for 10 minutes.

I'm the type of person that has to do some type of movement each day.

I used to be a gym rat, but I have abandoned the gym for the timebeing. It seemed like a burden to me, and I dreaded it. Now, I've taken my workouts outside. F1 inspired me to do this! I no longer dread it. Plus I don't stress out if I only work out for 30 minutes. I used to feel like I needed to do cardio and weights daily and stay in the gym for at least 2 hours. Honestly, I can not tell a difference in how I look. I may look better. I bulk up easy, so I need more toning movements. You do not need to go to the gym, unless you like that sort of thing.

Using your body weight can give you a great work out. I use free weights, and I have a rebounder (cheapie off Craig's list), an exercise ball, exercise mat, and a large band. I use the band for stretching my legs.

I take my stuff right outside my apt door and workout under the stars in the morning while it's still 80 degrees or under. Can't stand to work out above 90 degrees. Plus you can't beat the fresh air!

Here's an example of my work out today:

10 minutes fast walk

10 minutes skipping (my new fav thing to do!) Who cares if I look funny!

40 minutes jogging (slow). I'm short, so I don't jog fast or cover alot of territory.

Light weights for biceps and tricips.

Now, off to Spiral Diner in Oak Cliff for lunch! YEAH!

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 05, 2008 09:53AM

Everyday, 3 different things

1. yoga or a run AM-- 1 Hour

evening

2. weights.. strength training

3.basic floor work

or pole work

if I feel like none of those then I will go run again or kettleball in the garden

Date: July 05, 2008 11:22AM

veggie luver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do something everyday. Even if it's just
> rebounding for 10 minutes.
>
> I'm the type of person that has to do some type of
> movement each day.
>
> I used to be a gym rat, but I have abandoned the
> gym for the timebeing. It seemed like a burden to
> me, and I dreaded it. Now, I've taken my workouts
> outside. F1 inspired me to do this! I no longer
> dread it. Plus I don't stress out if I only work
> out for 30 minutes. I used to feel like I needed
> to do cardio and weights daily and stay in the gym
> for at least 2 hours. Honestly, I can not tell a
> difference in how I look. I may look better. I
> bulk up easy, so I need more toning movements.
> You do not need to go to the gym, unless you like
> that sort of thing.
>
> Using your body weight can give you a great work
> out. I use free weights, and I have a rebounder
> (cheapie off Craig's list), an exercise ball,
> exercise mat, and a large band. I use the band
> for stretching my legs.
>
> I take my stuff right outside my apt door and
> workout under the stars in the morning while it's
> still 80 degrees or under. Can't stand to work
> out above 90 degrees. Plus you can't beat the
> fresh air!
>
> Here's an example of my work out today:
>
> 10 minutes fast walk
>
> 10 minutes skipping (my new fav thing to do!) Who
> cares if I look funny!
>
> 40 minutes jogging (slow). I'm short, so I don't
> jog fast or cover alot of territory.
>
> Light weights for biceps and tricips.
>
> Now, off to Spiral Diner in Oak Cliff for lunch!
> YEAH!

You live in Oak Cliff/Dallas???

F1

Date: July 05, 2008 01:48PM

I live near Lovers / Greenville Ave. You hooked me up with Cox Farms. I made the drive there last December. I loved it! Wish it was closer. I have a friend that lives in Midlothian and works here in Dallas. I told her about it, and she stops in there at least twice a week.

You truly have inspired me to get out of the gym and outside. Exercise can be done with out gym equipment. I honestly am so much more happier and relaxed working out outside. I feel freed.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: July 05, 2008 08:49PM

Everyday more on the 2 days off from work but at least an hour of some kind of movement 5 days a week I work.

Mon,Wed,Fri at least 100 puch ups before I go for a 40 to 45 minute run.

I like to do puch ups before I run I feel like I have a burst of energy the longer I run when I do some kind of strength exercise before.

Tues,thurs, some sit ups and other yoga asanas that work the stomach and also 40 to 45 minutes running.

Sat,Sun I will start the day off with a 7 mile run a little over an hour come home eat a big breakfast.
Today a half of a big watermelon.

A little later after I rested and did some errands on my bike I will ride my bike to the beach and enjoy the water go swimming for about a half hour lay out in the Sunshine for an hour or so in between swims and relax.

I try to do at least 200 puch ups on the weekend and other strengthing exercises and some yoga poses if I have the time.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Date: July 06, 2008 03:13AM

veggie luver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live near Lovers / Greenville Ave. You hooked
> me up with Cox Farms. I made the drive there last
> December. I loved it! Wish it was closer. I
> have a friend that lives in Midlothian and works
> here in Dallas. I told her about it, and she
> stops in there at least twice a week.
>
> You truly have inspired me to get out of the gym
> and outside. Exercise can be done with out gym
> equipment. I honestly am so much more happier and
> relaxed working out outside. I feel freed.

Oh yeah...I thought you sounded familiar, you need to pop by and do a boot camp one of these days!

Glad you liked Cox's, it's one of the better produce stores, they have some good organic stuff too...did you check out the unpasterized orange juices in the fridge?

Be good.

F1

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 06, 2008 03:40AM

My question is - How do you people go to the gym?

Since I've been fasting, I can't stand the smell of people there. The guy in front of me was making me nauseaus because he smelled like Frittos. He must've been sweating them out or just ate them or something. I got off the machine after 3 minutes and went to another one. lol

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: July 06, 2008 08:50AM

I,ve been exercsing since I have been 15 and that is over 20
+ yrs weights,karate,running arobic and anarobic and stretching so please pay attention.Here's the top 5 things you need to do & please dont get intimated by anothers schedule or ........ Measure progress by how much YOU improve.If you did 15 minutes this week that would be 15 more than last week,so remember,dont always aim for perfection it sometimes puts excessive pressure on you.

1)Find the types of exercise you will enjoy.If u dont,stats show u face a much greater likelyhood of quiting. Plus,who wants to do something several times a week to help their body and mind and they dislike it.Thats gross!

2)3 components to begin with are arobic,strenght traing & stretching.Again with all three find types that work for YOU! We are all hard wired different in what is pleasurable.(Finding a trainer or mentor or partner w/ experiece and read a couple of good books will reap great rewards even if it only for a few sessions._

2) If you can be motivated w/out the gym you can save a ton of time by working out at home. Although,if you are brand new I would suggest reading a few good books & find a mentor or hire a personal trainer at least for a few sessions. Currently, to save time I exercise in my home or in my neighborhood.
I.E I have free weights & bench press & heavy punching bag in my home. This saves me a lot of time.

3) Find external motivation such as personal trainer,gym,partner,mentor to encourage and internal motivator such as read a couple of good books on the tons of benefits from exercising & dont be afraid to think of them while you are exercising.

4)It may take a while to simply put,get into the habit.But I believe if you find exercise you like,find some motivation whether it is internal--personal goals or external such as a partner or being in a gym. 4me,I cant imagine not exercising since I have been doing it 4over 20 years.Its like prayer 4me if I dont do it for a couple of days I get crancky.

5) Explain to ur family that budgeting this time several days a week is CRITICAL for you to be an even better,mother,wife,employee and this time is a must even if you have to forfiet something else.

Best wishes & Blessings
Kiss3344

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 06, 2008 03:08PM

veggie lover--

> Exercise can be done with out gym equipment. I honestly am so much more happier and relaxed working out outside. I feel freed.<

So true! I sometimes rebel against going into the 'dungeon' of a gym that is my local YMCA. I love the place, but it's all housed in the basement of the YMCA building and can be a little oppresive and stuffy, so sometimes I just go for a long walk while my husband works out at the Y and then I do my yoga later at home.

F1 has inspired me too with his amazing feats, all achieved in a natural environment without benefit of gym equipment.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 06, 2008 04:31PM

I too am 46 and have found the fountain of youth in raw foods and juicing (along with wheatgrass shots that I grow myself) YOU GO GIRL!

Date: July 07, 2008 01:43AM

Hey F1!

I would love to do a boot camp. Maybe we need to get you to drive north and put us through the drills!

Darn! I missed the oj. Might just have to make another trip down south to Cox.

Do you make it to Farmer's Market often? I picked up a watermelon yesterday. It's pretty much gone now. I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables