Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

brain/memory food
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 07, 2008 05:58PM

which raw foods are great brain boosters? my short term memory is getting pretty bad.....it`s scaring me a little
patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brain/memory food
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 07, 2008 06:04PM

What helped me the most was to eliminate all cooked foods from my diet, and I found most of my brain fog disappeared. I don't think a particular raw food is better or worse for the brain. If you get an effect of clearer thinking after eating a food, it could be that the food is somewhat stimulating. When I was eating cooked foods, drinking an afternoon espresso or cappuccino would clear up my thinking in no time.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 07, 2008 07:39PM

As I continue to eat fresh, raw food, it feels like layers and layers of gunk are being chiseled out of my brain, naturally.

I find omega-3s (or at least I suspect they are responsible--flax often does this for me!) will ease a headache and let me sleep better. It's only noticeable if I haven't eaten it for a few weeks, and then add it back to (even banana-only) smoothies or something... It's a nice little, "Ahhh."

But time and general healthy living is the best recipe. =)

Date: July 07, 2008 07:50PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What helped me the most was to eliminate all
> cooked foods from my diet, and I found most of my
> brain fog disappeared. I don't think a particular
> raw food is better or worse for the brain. If you
> get an effect of clearer thinking after eating a
> food, it could be that the food is somewhat
> stimulating. When I was eating cooked foods,
> drinking an afternoon espresso or cappuccino would
> clear up my thinking in no time.

i`m not sure if i`d call it a brain fog, it`s actual memory loss....ie the normal example of losing your keys...but mine goes much deeper. i forget where i park, multiple entrances into a store or at a mall throw me off, forgetting the words i need to use when speaking with someone, in parking garages i have to write down where i am or i can`t find my truck...stuff like that. i am not completely raw but daily i`m at around 99%...sometimes a little worse....did HORRIBLE on the 4th of July but i`m usually pretty consistent at staying raw.
patty

Posted by: cy ()
Date: July 07, 2008 09:12PM

Hi Patty,maybe you are a little bit stressed out. I find that drinking my green smoothie in the morning sun light the best thing for me.It gives me such an energy for the intire day.Evry day that I can I go outside with my huge smoothie and drink and chew it in the sun.It calms down a lot.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: July 07, 2008 09:45PM

raw corn

Corn is a good source of thiamin, providing about one-quarter (24.0%) of the daily value for this nutrient in a single cup. Thiamin is an integral participant in enzymatic reactions central to energy production and is also critical for brain cell/cognitive function. This is because thiamin is needed for the synthesis of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential for memory, whose lack has been found to be a significant contributing factor in age-related impairment in mental function (senility) and Alzheimer's disease. In fact, Alzheimer's disease is clinically characterized by a decrease in acetylcholine levels. Don't forget to make corn a staple in your healthy diet.
[whfoods.org]

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: July 08, 2008 01:14AM

According to the juice bar I went to before I got a juicer, carrots and celery are supposed to be very good brain foods. They sold their carrot/celery drink under the name "nerve detangler."

Don't know abou the claim itself but I have gotten into the habit of ending my evenings with a green apple/celery/ginger juice.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: July 08, 2008 01:44AM

you could check out things like lumosity.com or positscience.com

great book: norman doidge: the brain that changes itself

also: Spark (dont remember author right now), on the magnificent benefits of exercise on memory and brain

and lastly: be kind to yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes.

Date: July 08, 2008 03:13AM

thank you all very much smiling smiley
patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2008 04:22AM

Berries are good for the brain. Especially in conjunction with omega-3 fatty acids.

Eating less food in general (in the short term) also seems to help my brain (in my subjective experience).

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 08, 2008 04:34AM

What's in berries that makes them brain food?

(I FORAGED SOME WILD ONES TODAY!!!! <3 <3 <3)

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: July 08, 2008 04:58AM

Walnut and corn are brain according to the food signature [www.dontolmaninternational.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 08, 2008 07:31AM

I read about berries being good for the brain and specifically mentioned were blueberries as being good for short term memory. I've been eating more of them since reading that.

Posted by: sprouter ()
Date: July 08, 2008 11:42AM

my latest extremely important health discovery is the importance of taking out the metal fillings in your teeth. they leek mercury, which causes a huge list of nasty symptoms, one is short term memory loss. I suffered from mercury poisoning for a looong time. do you have any? just curious, maybe I could help.

Date: July 08, 2008 02:18PM

sprouter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
do you have any? just curious, maybe
> I could help.

yes i do. my molars are pretty much filled with them sad smiley i hate the dentist
patty

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 08, 2008 07:56PM

sprouter what did you do about your fillings? To whom did you go? Did you do chelation therapy? Did your memory get better? I want to get mine out too.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 08, 2008 10:08PM

I love raw corn!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables