Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

females....need some advice please!
Posted by: Seren ()
Date: July 09, 2008 03:34AM

Sorry if anyone finds this inappropriate...
So I've been on and off with the raw food thing for a while now. Right now I'm not doing so good,maybe about 50% of my diet is raw. But ever since starting this, rgardless of how commited I am atthe time, I've had irregular periods. Just before fall last year I came off my birth control. About 3 months later,after a few normal periods I stopped having any for 2-3 months. My doctor seemed concerned but could not offer me an answer without costly tests. I then had one normal, and then the one after that has been constantly going for 3 months now. Thats a 3 month long period! Not every day has been noticable but there has always been something there every day,with the last week and a half being full on, very heavy, with cramps and everything.
I have yet to see a doctor since it's just so unaffordable for me but Iwanted to know if anyone else had experienced anything this strange since adjusting their diet?
I would also like to point out that I do high intesity classes at my gym twice a day, 5 days a week. I realise that this and the birth control could effect my period but I doubt it would be to this extent. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Edit- I'd also like to add that I have anemia from a b12 for almost 10 years now but I do take supplements daily (and shots when I can afford it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2008 03:48AM by Seren.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: females....need some advice please!
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: July 09, 2008 04:17AM

Synthetic hormones, such as birth control pills, can do some strange things. Especially when you discontinue them. I would be concerned with a 3 month long cycle though. Sometimes, spotting like that can be symptomatic of other things, such as an infection. Unfortunately, the only way to know for certain is through a medical exam. It could be your hormones are unbalanced from discontinuing the pill or, like I said, it could be something more serious.

Is there a clinic with reduced rates near you? I feel bad for you because I don't have medical insurance so I know what it's like.

In the meantime, drink lots of green juices. My daughter has been able to rebalance her homrones after the pill by eating raw, increasing her greens, and daily exercise.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: July 09, 2008 08:33AM

Seren,

I went off oral contraceptives after 18-19 years. See the posting titled "Women with No Periods" in this same forum for some other input.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Also, [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

(If my links don't work, do a search for 'Women with no periods.')

After stopping synthetic hormones, my periods have been erratic and then just stopped. They started up again (like a week ago) when I supplemented with VB12.

I personally don't care that much whether or not I get one.

I would be more concerned with the one that is lasting 3 months. It could be related to something else like an infection. You say you had been to the doctor so I assume you have been checked for that. I agree with roxeli, look into a free/low cost clinic (maybe Planned Parenthood?) in your area. I also agree with increasing greens trying to alkalinize as much as possible.

Finally, the more you dwell on it, the worse it might be. Yoga? Deep breathing? Pilates? Relaxation? instead of high intensity gym work??

My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: July 09, 2008 12:04PM

Its the workouts that is throwing it off, IMHO. You have more muscle than fat, and it is like a runner who loses their cycle. It is a fine line for me as well, and as soon as I start harder exercising, my period goes. I am with Patty, I think that your body does what it needs to do depending on where you are. Although, at times I do question whether or not it is "normal" to go for long periods of time without it - in my mind I feel better when I am getting it, but I think that it is purely psychological.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 09, 2008 03:57PM

I had a 33 day long period after I got my wisdom teeth pulled and came off a lot of drugs. I was 50% raw at the time.

Doctors said I needed to take the pill for 3 months--I quit after one because I felt SO HORRIBLE, went 100% raw... and haven't had anything too weird since.

So, it was getting away from unnatural drugs (which started the problems) and sticking to a healthy, raw diet that helped to heal me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables