Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Taking food on a flight...
Posted by: Joanne81 ()
Date: July 14, 2008 01:22AM

Does anyone have experience with this? I want to take some fruit, trail mix and energy bars. Do I have to put it through the x-ray machine that checks your bags? Will this radiate the food?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking food on a flight...
Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 14, 2008 02:27AM

i`m pretty sure it has to go through xray but it`s real low grade so it probably won`t do much damage? just a guess
patty

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 14, 2008 03:48AM

It depends on where you're flying to and from. Some of the airports are lax; some are sticklers and make you throw everything away. I fly from Hartford, CT to CA regularly, and I have given up on taking food, except for some snacks for my daughter. I can usually get away with some carry-on food if I tell them it's for her. I just wait until I have a layover and eat a salad in a restaurant before the next leg of my flight.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 14, 2008 04:35AM

No raw snakes. :O

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: July 14, 2008 06:17AM

I've never had any problem taking food on the plane.
My understanding is you just can't take over 2 oz of liquid, like agave, etc.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:46AM

Just take whole foods, nothing prepared. It's it looks liquid or gel, they will have you throwing it away. But they won't ask you to throw away an apple or a banana (except if you are flying from abroad and entering the US... no fresh stuff in that case what so ever).
Otherwise, it's just a good time to go for a short time fast!

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 14, 2008 05:09PM

It was respected in the 1990s if you reqested your food not to be xrayed ```because you dont want to destroy its vitamin content by xray.
`Please can you examine with out xray, that always worked back then but that ```was pre 911.
are we safe yet???

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: July 14, 2008 10:29PM

riverhousebill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> are we safe yet???

Dunno, but I haven't flew since 9/11.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: July 14, 2008 11:42PM

Yes they X ray everything even the bananas I take on all my long overseas trips and never once the many trips I made did they take my bananas.

I always eat them before I arrive at my destination I also bring raisens just in case they take my bananas but I never had a problem.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 15, 2008 02:15AM

One way you may be able to keep your food from being xrayed is to put it in ``your checked bagage I have read very little checked cargo ever gets xrayed ``just `carry on and the people.
are we safe yet.

Date: July 15, 2008 03:35AM

The problem with that is you can't eat food in your checked baggage on the flight. That is why I just book a flight with a layover and eat a big salad during my layover, then shop when I get to my destination. I usually travel with my little daughter, so breaking up the flight helps her enjoy the trip more as well. What I eat during my travels may not be organic, but at least it isn't x-rayed or cooked.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 16, 2008 05:04PM

nifty video about flying raw

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 16, 2008 09:17PM

Wow. That guy is really putting a lot of thought into it. I just ask the stewardess for a cup of water in flight. It might not be the world's most pure water, but the plan avoids some stress, and stress depresses the immune system. The zip-lock bag is supposed to be a one quart bag, and he could easily lose all that water and the pretty glass jars too if the security people aren't feeling kind. Also, I'm almost certain they took away the pudding. The rule forbids liquids and gels, and his pudding certainly qualifies.

He seems to have missed the best way to be allowed to take lots of liquids on a domestic flight, which is to bring a variety of fresh whole fruit in your carry-on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2008 09:21PM by frances.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 16, 2008 11:13PM

i went to australia over the summer and they didn't allow any whole foods into the country, but they allow packaged things

i've taken fruit on a plane before after going through the gates and then buying it (though you probably can't find organic)

i'm sure x-rays don't effect it, and even if they do, it's not going to harm you this once, unless you fly a ton and that's all you eat is x-rayed fruit. But i don't know if anyone has experience with that.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 17, 2008 12:03AM

The above suggestions are great. The best solution, according to the TSA website seems to be unpeeled fruit.

[www.tsa.gov]

So: Some grapes, apples, oranges, hard pears, etc., would probably be fine and hydrating. A rather simple solution.

-In any event, a one-meal or one-day water or juice fast.....which is certainly easy to do on a flight....is not a bad change of pace. Dedicate your fast to the health of the world! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2008 12:03AM by davidzanemason.

Date: October 17, 2008 12:09PM

In August I was able to take avos and other fresh fruit (and my 5lbs of really raw almonds that I bought at a farmer's market!) through security -- they did x-ray it, though. The almonds are sprouting fine.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: October 17, 2008 12:31PM

My last flight was this summer. I brought a canning jar of fresh grapefruit juice which I finished in the security line. That left me with a bunch of bananas, four peaches, a couple apples, a container of raspberries, and a small bag of cherries. The security guy asked me if I was carrying food, I told him what I had. His only question was about the peaches, because canned peaches would have been forbidden. As I traveled I used the canning jar for cherry pits, apple cores and banana peels.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables