Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw cereal high in carbs and protein ONLY; ideas?
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 22, 2008 04:00PM

I love cereal. But I also work out in the morning, and it's not good to use nut milks in place of soy milk because you want to get all the carbs and bit of proteins in before a workout

Does anyone have an idea of what i could use as a "milk" that has no fat? And what should I use as a "cereal" I was thinking just fruit and dates..I don't know where to find buckwheat but I would prefer something simpler that I don't have to sprout and dehydrate.

So i need a raw cereal thats got both carbs and protein but no fat
Any ideas?

(Also, I could drink green smoothies in the morning, but I just love cereal too much; so please don't suggest the smoothies haha)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw cereal high in carbs and protein ONLY; ideas?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:17AM

welll...i was about to suggest sprouted quinoa, but you say you don't wan to sprout...!

So maybe dried fruit and fresh fruit, i don't think there is many other choices....

CAn you tell me why it is so important to eat the carbs before a workout?

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:35AM

Blend a couple of very ripe bananas with water to make a milk like consistency. :-)

For the "cereal" - how about chopped up fruit and berries?

I actually think it's more important to carb up after a workout. As a matter of fact I wrote about it today in my blog in case you're interested. Just my 2 cents. Good luck :-)

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:38AM

There is NO simple substitution that is EXACTLY like cereal and milk. A great fruit breakfast is fantastic all by itself - but I'm sure you know that. You could certainly do the fruit and date thing....as you say. Or use sprouted sunflower seeds or sprouted oat groats as a breakfast cereal....if it is not too much trouble.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: July 23, 2008 02:39AM

Sarah, the banana milk is a good idea! I shall try it tomorrow morning...

Date: July 23, 2008 02:46AM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sarah, the banana milk is a good idea! I shall try
> it tomorrow morning...

Cool, Mira! I hope you like it. I make this for my kids occasionally, and I just throw banana slices and other berries/chopped up fruit in it for the cereal. They like it a lot.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: July 23, 2008 02:58AM

I've read the post on your blog Sarah, it wa svery interesting i learned alot of stuff!

I will eat after i run now, even if i feel a bit weird...

Date: July 23, 2008 05:26AM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read the post on your blog Sarah, it wa svery
> interesting i learned alot of stuff!
>
> I will eat after i run now, even if i feel a bit
> weird...

Thank you for reading, Mira! :-) Glad to share what helps me.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: July 23, 2008 03:09PM

I was actually thinking around the same lines of that! smiling smiley some kind of fruit milk, and banana is perfect. I'll get around to trying that one day.

Thanks!

Date: July 23, 2008 03:16PM

Do you know if raw quinoa is orderable online? I don't know if i would be able to find it easily around where I live in NC. --I would be glad to sprout it i just, you know, don't know where to find it haha!

And carbs are our main fuel - fruit, simple carbs; that's where all of our energy comes from. When you work out, your body tackles the simple carbs first, because that is what I believe (and I think most raw foodists) is the easiest for it to metabolize. Protein for building muscle, but without the enzymes, you have nothing, hence the greens+fruit. Fat slows you down when you're trying to work out, especially at excess. Ever eaten something very oily for dinner and then tried to work out 1-2hours later? UGH, I almost threw up man, it was not fun, don't try it. Fat just takes soo long to digest.
And there we go, carbs and protein for a nice energy filled morning!

ALSO, if anyone else reads this post -- Do you think I could add greens in for a protein boost in the banana milk? What kind of green and..what should i do?

I was also thinking date milk. What else could be protein? I might just go with finding the quinoa and sprout away!

Date: July 23, 2008 03:45PM

well, dried quinoa is always raw i think. I can find it in every normal grocery store, and it always sprouts, so its raw.

Date: July 23, 2008 03:46PM

very cool, I'll definitely have to try that then

thank you smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 27, 2008 05:30PM

I also love cereal and this is what I like. I flake oat groats(purchased a cheap flaker), add raisins and a juiced apple with pulp (or can whiz apple in food processor). Very much like a granola but it satisfies my need for cereal.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: July 27, 2008 11:53PM

[purchased a cheap flaker]

I have never heard of this. Can you tell us more?

Date: July 28, 2008 02:37PM

I am also interested in this flaker? I could probably go old fashioned and get a nice hammer and smash up some quinoa; but i'm thinking it's probably good to eat them whole, or RIGHT after you crush them as to receive the full benefits (enzymes and all)

It's also not that I want to necessarily keep my "cravings" and funnel them through raw food, it's more transition then anything - incase anyone wanted to know here; I also like to be creative!

So do tell us more of this..flaker

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: July 28, 2008 08:55PM

Sprouted oat groats and flaxseeed or almond milk works for me...rye and wheat are also way tasty and nutritious. Really, really easy to sprout...honest it is. I thought it was gonna be a major hassle so never wanted to either...until I tried it a few times myself. Now I'm hooked!!

Fresh vital seeds and grains sprout super fast too. A day and a half and they're good to go.

These guys have great stuff and lots of helpful info on their site.

[www.sproutpeople.com]

Enjoy!

~lanie

Date: July 30, 2008 04:05PM

The oat groats sound nice - though almond milk and flaxseed milk are probably too high in fat for before a workout for me. I have already started sprouting my quinoa and it looks so cool, I'm hooked before I've even tasted them, it really is so simple.

I'm also going to try buckwheat(is that the same as oat groats?). Thanks for the website and insight.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: July 31, 2008 10:55PM

When traveling in the past I've brought oat groats, bananas, and a blender (and made banana milk in the blender, just added water).

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: August 01, 2008 06:00AM

Buckwheat and oat groats are two entirely different grains. I found this great raw cereal at the local whole foods though made of sprouted buckwheat groats, flaxseed and raisins. Not much flaxseed so pretty low in fat. It's from Go Raw which has a lot of great stuff. You can check them out online. [www.goraw.com]

~lanie

Date: August 01, 2008 04:07PM

Wow, that's cool! Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables