Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Salads
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:22AM

I have been eating in restaraunts more frequently with company in and out so much. Each time I order a standard salad, and usually have with me chopped veggies to add (most prepared salads are weak on the size, volume and variety) but am struggling with some kind of "dressing" Of course I have not been using any dressing at all, but feel like something is missing. I have been using a bit of nutritional yeast, or lemons and limes to add a little something. But, does anyone else have any ideas? I was thinking about salsa, but I don't typically have a raw salsa on hand. Balsamic vinegar is out, right? I would love to hear what others are using. I typically stick to 80-10-10, so mushed avacado mixed in usually puts me over the fat category.
Thanks, VF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salads
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:30AM

There are no rules or ideals. It's whatever YOU think is right. But if you are trying to stick to all raw.....then your standard lemon juice & garlic is a great dressing.....and sprouted sunflower seeds or alfalfa sprouts make a good topping.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:44AM

Bring an orange, cut it and squeeze a few slices over your salad? It's sweet and yummy.

I used to not enjoy undressed salad, but after a few months on 80/10/10, I just don't dress my greens/salad anymore and it tastes fine. YMMV. :-)

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:48AM

i made a yummy dressing out of chopped ginger root, chopped garlic, yama shoyu (way off on the spelling), olive oil and apple cider vinegar....oh and a bit of sesame tahini.
patty

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: July 23, 2008 02:59AM

Do you eat tomatoes? Blended with anything they make a good dressing....I like the oil and vinegar plus whatever is tasty myself but....the tomato one is good too!

Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:02AM

i think garlic is avoided when on 80-10-10?

But its a super good seasonning... along with braggs or nama shoyu or whatever da-brown-salty-sauce-ya-use

Date: July 23, 2008 03:28AM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i think garlic is avoided when on 80-10-10?
>

really? garlic is avoided? why?
patty

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: July 23, 2008 04:08AM

I'm another citrus dressing fan when I'm at a restaurant. I also ask for diced tomato on top- it's almost that salsa kind of addition. The juicy tomato plus lemon = me happy

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 23, 2008 06:13AM

if you are looking for a deep chlorophyllic satisfaction from your restaurant salad

forget it

won't get it

eat it or drink it at home prior to going to the restaurant

then you will feel sated

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 23, 2008 07:42AM

Sometimes you can get lucky. My new job (WOO HOO!!!!) serves organic greens, makes their own, fresh, 100% raw guacamole... that I enjoyed with a plate of chopped veggies tonight. (And a mango-pineapple salsa... that only has not-raw salt...)

So, again, sometimes you CAN get lucky.

But places that do this vs. places that do not are probably 1/100. And the majority of restaurants I've worked in... honestly, if you knew how that plate of greens was handled, even if it comes to your table with no dressing, you're much better off not touching it. =\

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: July 23, 2008 12:53PM

EWWWWW! Phantom, you are so right, I try not to think about it, especially since I have never worked in a rest so I try to tell myself that the horror stories are just that - stories! I know though..... The new place sounds great, I am glad you found something better. Tha mango-pineapple salsa sounds terrific.

The blended tomato mixture is a perfect idea for my salads!!! I love the salad plain, but was looking for something that was more liquid-y. KWIM? That will work perfectly - at home I can make sure that the juice from the tomatoes serves that purpose, but in a rest I can't so much. I am going to take the blended tomatoes with me! Or, in a pinch will grab an orange - I never thought of that either, even though I used to make a blended orange/nut dressing.

I try to stay away from nama shoyu or anything with a lot of salt. I will use Braggs every now and again, but the less I use it the more overpowering it is when I do. I almost can't tolerate it and used to love it!! And, since going raw I can't tolerate garlic or onions even. I used to eat onions like they were going out of style!! Anyone else experience this?

I think it is 80-10-10 that I read that vinegar is pretty much close to poison, does anyone else remember reading this? Maybe it wasn't there I read it, but would love to hear if others have heard anything similar. One minute ACV is a save all, cure all, the next shouldn't be consumed by humans!! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. They are great!

Posted by: mira ()
Date: July 23, 2008 03:48PM

I have read that once, about 80-10-10...They avoid salt, garlic, onions, vinegar.... Not considered natural food for humans

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: July 23, 2008 04:06PM

Here is the FAQ from the 80/10/10 site:

[www.foodnsport.com]

It will answer your q's about garlic, vinegar, salt etc. :-)

I've been condiment free for 1.5 yrs now and the food just keeps tasting better!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: July 23, 2008 04:33PM

Veggiefreak, do you liek Indian food flavors? If you do, here is one cool salad dressing recipe. You can make it and take it with you and use it in any vegetables. If you don't care for Indian food or don't like spices etc, please disregard.

Recipe for salad dressing Indian style: I make this all the time and love itsmiling smiley

1. juice frim 1/2 orange
2. juice from 1/2 lemon
3. grated ginger 1/2 tsp
4. powdered cumin seeds 1/2 tsp (available at any Indian store)
5. chaat masala powder 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp if you are brave
6. sea salt (optional)

mix all teh ingrediens and pour in small contaner and shake well before serving.

If you prefer, you can blend this well in a blender to get a creamy texture.

Enjoy!!!

Take care
A Iyer

Date: July 23, 2008 05:59PM

Sparkler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the FAQ from the 80/10/10 site:
>
> [www.foodnsport.com]
> 111/65/
>
> It will answer your q's about garlic, vinegar,
> salt etc. :-)
>
> I've been condiment free for 1.5 yrs now and the
> food just keeps tasting better!

thanks smiling smiley
patty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables