Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cucumbers
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: July 30, 2008 06:44PM

Munching on a nice fat cucumber now (with a little dressing) from the "zen vegetable lady"'s garden. (Woman that sells veggies to support our Zen group in delaware). Felt like getting a little cucumber edumacation here:

Facts (some from Wikipedia, the definitive source of completely accurate information on everything in the world):

- The cucumber (Cucumis sativus) is a widely cultivated plant in the gourd family Cucurbitaceae, which includes squash, and in the same genus as the muskmelon.

- Though it technically is a fruit, cucumbers are widely considered vegetables.
(I thought so! Maybe you all knew that...)

- Cucumber originated in India. Large genetic variety of cucumber has been observed in different parts of India. The cucumber has been cultivated for at least 3,000 years in Western Asia, and was probably introduced to other parts of Europe by the Romans. Records of cucumber cultivation appear in France in the 9th century, England in the 14th century, and in North America by the mid-16th century.

- The Roman Emperor Tiberius had the cucumber on his table daily during summer and winter. The Romans reportedly used artificial methods (similar to the greenhouse system) of growing to have it available for his table every day of the year. They would be wheeled out in carts to sit in the sun daily, then taken in to keep them warm, stored under frames or in cucumber houses glazed with oiled cloth known as “specularia”.

- The cucumber is also a natural diuretic which is used in the fitness world by bodybuilders and people trying to cut fat.

- In the United States, consumption of pickles has been slowing, while consumption of fresh cucumbers is rising.

- According to FAO, China produced at least 60% of the global output of cucumber and gherkin in 2005, followed at a distance by Turkey, Russia, Iran and the USA.

above from [en.wikipedia.org]

- The flesh of cucumbers is primarily composed of water but also contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, both of which help soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling. Cucumbers'hard skin is rich in fiber and contains a variety of beneficial minerals including silica, potassium and magnesium.

- The silica in cucumber is an essential component of healthy connective tissue, which includes muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, and bone. Cucumber juice is often recommended as a source of silica to improve the complexion and health of the skin, plus cucumber's high water content makes it naturally hydrating—a must for glowing skin.

- {this fact slightly conflicts with an above fact} Cucumbers were thought to originate over 10,000 years ago in southern Asia. Early explorers and travelers introduced this vegetable to India and other parts of Asia.

Nutrition information: [www.whfoods.com]

My favorite cucumber recipe(which I've shared often here): One cucumber, one avocado, handful of mint leaves in food processor till creamy. ohhh yeah.

Ok, this was fun. We should have a vegetable of the week segment!

Any more interesting facts? Recipes? How do you like them? Share!

-DaveK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cucumbers
Posted by: zella ()
Date: July 31, 2008 09:19PM

I just went out of my cucumber phase and have all these cukes in my fridge still. I decided to add them to my morning juice instead of eating them. I juice them with the skins and all and they are providing me with mega energy.

Vegetarian Children's Book Club ~ [VegetarianChildrensBookClub.com]

Books for and about Vegetarian, Vegan, and Raw Vegan Kids!

Posted by: flash ()
Date: July 31, 2008 09:57PM

I switched to sweeter fruits in my green smoothies about 2 months ago, but prior to that I always included a cucumber.

flash

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: July 31, 2008 10:41PM

I'm harvesting English and lemon cucs from my garden these days. They are far better fresh off the vine than from the store. yummy smiling smiley

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 31, 2008 10:46PM

There should be more talk about different types of fruits and greens; i LOVE learning about it!! Good idea buddy; thanks for informing us of cucumbers and their wonders.

-Chloe

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: July 31, 2008 11:11PM

I lUV cucumbers, thank you for sharing this. And the cuc is a fruit by the way.

oops...just caught this in your post...

"- Though it technically is a fruit, cucumbers are widely considered vegetables.
(I thought so! Maybe you all knew that...) "

...great info...thanks again. :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2008 11:15PM by rawangel.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: July 31, 2008 11:52PM

I eat a lot of cucumbers I like the persian and also kirbies that are around in the summer.I dont put my cukes in the fridge I eat em before they go bad maybe a kilo a day sometimes.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 01, 2008 12:03AM

ever have those little ones that trader joes has in a plastic carton? like 10 of em to a carton? those are yummy too although i forget their type
patty

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: August 01, 2008 06:16AM

I love cucumbers. I've been munching on English cucumbers and the small pickling ones.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2008 06:57AM

One of the best threads on this website. I second the motion of having a sticky 'fruit or veg of the week'
I did not know the humble cucumber was this powerful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables