Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ideas for easy, healthy snacks
Posted by: blue_butterfly ()
Date: August 21, 2008 06:49PM

I've found myself at a loss as to what creative, raw snacks I could eat during the day. Now that I'm pregnant, it's become harder and harder to stay 100% raw because I don't care to spend a lot of time making elaborate dishes nor do I care to just eat a piece of fruit or whatever every time I'm hungry for a snack....with the increased hunger, I'm seriously running out of ideas. I'd like some ideas for interesting snacks that aren't difficult or time-consuming to make and are almost or completely raw. Thanks in advance! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2008 06:50PM by blue_butterfly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideas for easy, healthy snacks
Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 21, 2008 07:08PM

Hi Blue Butterfly,

Congrats on the pregnancy!!

I'm not sure how you feel about young coconut...with practice they are quite easy to get into.

I just created a recipe for 'yogurt' out of 1/2 cup coconut meat, 1/2 cup coconut water, 1/4 lemon juiced, 2 tsp agave, 2 tsp coconut butter, 2 tsp vanilla. You can mix in berries or walnuts...

What about making a smoothie or two in the morning, and storing in the fridge, ready when you need them? Or making a couple salad dressings up, and keeping washed and ready to go salad fixings in the fridge, so you could whip it up in a couple minutes. Or you could try making one thing, like raw bread (and raw mayo or mustard too), then you could have endless easy veggie sandwiches... Or if you don't want to go the dehydrated bread route, try having wraps in collard leaves or romaine lettuce. Make ahead of time a nut pate, or sprout pate, then it's ready to fill or spread. Almond butter and berries works great in a wrap or on bread too!

All the best (o:

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: August 21, 2008 07:39PM

If you eat raw cacao, you could mix nibs with raw nuts and dehydrated fruit and coconut to have on hand as raw trail mix.

Also, there are recipes for raw 'fries' using either jicama or carrot sticks mixed with a little cold-pressed oil, sea salt and the secret ingredient- a hot spice such as paprika or chili powder. Or how about mini pizzas- tomato and bell pepper toppings on mushroom bases (no dehydration needed).

I've also been making lollies lately- they haven't been raw (been pretty slack lately with raw sad smiley ) but the chocolate in them could be substituted with melted raw chocolate or omitted i.e. blend coconut water, avocado, banana, melted chocolate, agave or dates and transfer to lolly moulds. Even my dad loves these lollies.

Raw sun, that yoghurt recipe sounds great smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 21, 2008 07:57PM

Right. Dehydrated fruits and nuts are fun. You could also make your own nut/fruit bars without a big issue.

-Don't sweat the small stuff. If 100% raw is not satisfying for you...just try eat the healthiest cooked/processed foods that you know. You'll do fine. It's the underlying motivation and goals that truly matter (just my opinion).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: globalresult ()
Date: August 21, 2008 09:29PM

Hi,

Peel Banana eat
Cut Watermellon eat
Rinse Cherries eat
Rinse Berries eat

Can't get much easier and healthier than this.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2008 02:25AM

i don't know if i'd go eating any cacao during pregnancy or nursing. i know some mums don't even give up coffee but caffeine is definately not good for baby.

how about some nuts and seeds? they are so crunchy and satisfying. i like brazil nuts with celery sticks. so tasty!

i ate a lot of avos, olives, tons of juices, about 6 apples/day (minimum!). but i couldn't stay raw throughout, i was just so very hungry. my kids are super healthy though so i think what i ate was all just fine.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: August 23, 2008 08:26PM

celery and dates
mashed banana with frozen blueberries - dip in celery
berries, mash 3-4 bananas on top
cauliflower with olive oil salt
even better - dehydrate!
I AM NOT a cauliflower fan but it is like popcorn this way!!

use potato peeler - cut up zucchini in strips
make a dressing
I like
garlic
hemp seeds (ground in coffee grinder)
apple cider vineger
nutritional yeast

Just make a tasty sauce and pour over the "pasta"

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 23, 2008 11:09PM

I like grapes for snacks. Right now I am eating some RAWlicious black grapes that are yummy good. I like to eat them two at a time - one on each side of my mouth and chew. ;-)

Posted by: AshleyMartin ()
Date: August 26, 2008 10:11PM

Hi Blue Butterfly,

Organic food recipes are easy to make and also very much healthier to you in this situation.........

The following article will help you to find different easy and time saving recipes

[www.organicauthority.com]

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: August 28, 2008 04:57PM

Ther ewas at east one other thread recommending organicauthority as an answer.

buttermilk? Turkey? Chicken? (in the recipes).
They sell road side grills etc.

SPAM?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables