Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lightheadedness???
Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: September 06, 2008 12:01PM

Hi everyone! I was curious to see if anyone has experienced increasing amounts of lightheadedness/dizziness while increasing their raw intake. I have noticed it more and more as of late. I am about 75% raw at this stage. At first, I stood back and evaluated my nutritional intake for being low in sugars, iron, or calories. I am definitely taking in plenty of calories and sugar (in the forms of fruit, raw agave, dates, dried fruits). As for iron, I eat a lot of dark greens and other veggies and supplement with a mild dose of iron. My exercise habits have not changed and my intensity is not really any different. Could this be detoxing? I don't mind the detox, but the lightheadedness and dizziness concerns me because it then makes me nausiated and heavy-stomached and then I become miserable. Any advice or tips???? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lightheadedness???
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 06, 2008 01:42PM

Sorry I have no advice but I have noticed having more head rushes lately. It struck me odd when my nephew that lives and eats with us had a head rush the other day in front of me.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 06, 2008 02:13PM

Yes. This is normal. It is important not to change your diet too quickly. With blood thinning.....and clogs and toxins freeing up.......and blood diverting to internal organs to initiate deeper healing. Regulating your own detox is very important. Plenty of rest and 'meditation' to also balance your activity is good too.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: September 06, 2008 02:22PM

That is interesting, David. I have actually been going through some stressful times lately and have found myself in a real slump. Coincidently, the more depressed I have felt, the more my body has been reacting with the lightheadedness and the nausea. I keep thinking, "but raw is to make me feel good, right?"

I have been changing over since February of this year and it has been a slow transisiton. My mood/ physical changes have been like a roller coaster. One day, I feel like my raw food is making me feel on top of the world and the next day, I can hardly pull myself out of bed. What would your recommendation be to address the situation?

Posted by: ledouxc ()
Date: September 06, 2008 02:30PM

Hi Sapphire!

Thanks for your earlier message to me - I just answered it. <3

I know I can't speak as an expert by ANY means but from one person to another,
try taking a walk to increase oxygen. Does that make sense?
Regarding the depression part I mean.

I struggle with depression for many reasons too and find that if I can drag
my butt out to walk, it helps a lot.

Walking, more water, less computer time, no TV, more reading, no caffeine or
sugar (i.e except from fruit of course) and opening blinds/curtains during
the day when you wake to increase the natural seratonin.

Sorry,that's stuff you already know but I thought I would remind you.
Trust me, just writing it reminds me! :-)

Good luck and write if you need to.
BIG hugs xx,
Christene

www.christeneledoux.com
www.innsbruckexpats.com

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: September 06, 2008 02:42PM

This happens to me, I have a theory that it has to do with eating a lot less salt, and the body not holding on to as much water. I would suggest trying to drink a lot more water, or salty foods like celery. I think caffeine works well too but you might not want to do that! I hope you feel better.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 06, 2008 02:51PM

Sapphire:

-In my case, I was transitioning from 30 years of poor eating / living. I gave myself a generous time frame of 12 months to make the initial dietary changes, and another year to make refinements and settle on long-term habits. This is quite reasonable. Sprinkled in with fasts, and lots of physical activity....I was often light-headed. My advice is to eat healthy....but often....and keep up a good amount of calories. Keep your exercise routine....but light........so moderate walking and light hiking are good (swimming is good too).

Important Point: NO dietary regime can 'fix' not following your passions and life dreams......and giving YOURSELF a 'job'....and having goals. Many people seek to control this aspect of their life through outside circumstances....and it doesn't work much in the long run! LOL. (I have no idea if this relates to you in any way).

-Getting to bed earlier, and riding out the low points is quite good. When a person is feeling the most depressed, that is the time to be the MOST ridiculously up on yourself....and the MOST courageous in setting very small goals that you are motivated and prepared to do. It's a poor darn dog that doesn't wag it's OWN tail! winking smiley Love that saying.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: September 06, 2008 04:43PM

Hey ledouxc!

Sapphire and Sapphire33 are two different people, but thanks!

Sapphire

Date: September 06, 2008 05:56PM

Ledouxc, you are absolutely right. Sometimes it really does help to be reminded about the "simple things" that we can do to make us physically and mentally better. In our busy lives, sometimes it is easy to forget what we should be doing and get trapped into autopilot mode.

Wow, David, it is really interesting to hear of your struggles. I have read many of your posts and really admire your advice and your take on raw, life, etc. How reassuring to hear your story!

LOL..it is like you already know me! I do use food for control and find myself tightening the metaphorical reigns on my dietary regime when I feel out of control in other areas of my life. Perhaps this is why these changes have been so noticable as of late. The progression of my life/passions has been put on hold for a short bit, so, what do I do...well, I focus on what I can have control in..my food and my health. I have cycled in and out of control with my food (specifically SAD) since I was a kid. I completely agree with you and I find it comforting to know that others have experiences with such a frustrating issue.

Thanks for the motivation!

Posted by: ashleekanaan ()
Date: September 06, 2008 06:04PM

This is all very very normal..take your transition SLOWLY I did not and very much so wish that I had. also, increase your water intake, and avoid TOO much dried fruits as they contain excess sugar..too many dried fruits sometimes made me more light headed because of the sugar amount...More veggies and water would be my advice..Good luck on your transition remember to listen to your body..detox is normal, and tough at times just remember to STICK TO IT..I learned and am still learning the hard way. :-) Good luck my friend

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 09, 2008 10:56AM

maybe it's a drop in blood pressure. Are you eating any salt? You could be getting rid of previous salt as well. When the body is getting rid of salt, it takes longer for the blood vessels to adjust - so i've been told when I asked for advice. I also sometimes get lightheaded after standing or laying. You should check your heart rate and blood pressure and see if there is a difference over time?

Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 09, 2008 07:05PM

The high amino acid content of grass juice will get those neurons firing properly and absolve the lightheadedness.

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: September 09, 2008 11:01PM

I experienced the exact same thing. Increasing the sodium intake along with eating at least one cooked meal at the end of each day helped me in my transition. Low blood preasure was the problem (along with thinning of the blood)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 09, 2008 11:40PM

David Z Mason,

Your counsel always rocks!

Date: September 12, 2008 06:02PM

Thanks so much for all the advice...I didn't even factor in the lower salt intake. I will try that and see if that helps! I am also going to try and take my transistion a little slower...I tend to jump full force into things when they make me feel good and it is positive...tends to be a problem some times. Even when I "think" I am moving slowly, my slow may just be a "slower fast"..LOL!

Posted by: wooway ()
Date: September 13, 2008 07:56PM

Greetings Saphirre!

Great job with all your hard work!

Your high GI/hybrid fruit intake is probably the top 2 cause, along with not enough electrolyte minerals, esp. sodium-potassium ratio, as most fruits have 0 sodium and most greens are potassium dominant. This can make your blood pressure fall terribly, hence dizziness, lightheadedness, vertigo, etc.

Include more seeded and fibrous fruits; apples/pears, berries, grapefruit, etc.

Hope this helps.. Also, be sure to drink 64oz or so of RO or distilled water per day...

Blessings
InF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables