Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The orthorexia worry.
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 10, 2008 02:54AM

I thought victoris looked great for a 70 year old and I am sure stossle couldnt put his arms behind his back. I thought stossel looked very plastic.

I never trust the media and whatever there slant is on any subject.

Great perspective brian I like what you said here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 10, 2008 04:02AM

i just watched the 20/20 stuff and i thought it was great! certainly it could have been much more negative towards raw but instead it kept the issue around the obsessiveness of some dieters which i think is something that could stand to have some light shed on it. sure, there are many other diets that are harmful etc etc but that doesn't make being orthorexic any better. it's sick to be so focussed on what we are eating. it does get crazy with the eliminating things like bell peppers and tomatoes because they are nightshades etc. being consumed by your diet is backwards!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:39AM

Orthorexia is a disease of the mind, and has nothing to do with raw foods. Its funny that the 20/20 segment spent all this time on raw foodism, rather than looking at the cause of orthorexia. Johnny Righini, who was the young man in the 20/20 show, came out and said on YouTube that he was disappointed that the show focused on raw foodism rather than looking at the cause and cure for orthorexia.

Also, 20/20 never mentioned that Johnny was already an anorexic before becoming a raw foodist, and was already eating disordered.

Also at the potluck, look how they focused on how much time the raw foodist spend on preparing and thinking about their food. Many people who have been raw a long time don't spend any more time preparing food (including cleanup) than people eating a cooked diet. For myself, I spend under 1 minute preparing my first meal, and under 2 minutes preparing my dinner. How many cooked eaters can say this?

Date: September 10, 2008 06:41AM

Ariel55 raised my awareness of a new anti-raw website: rawfoodcult.com

On their "Get Help" page, they say:

Whatever you do, avoid seeking help from natural health “professionals” who’s singular goal is to make money off of your illness. Avoid participating in online chat groups or forums for those who advocate the raw lifestyle.Examples or such sites to avoid include (please do not click the links below):

* Give It To Me Raw
* The Raw Food Forum
* Raw Food Support

The above sites are run by Raw Food cult leaders who would like nothing more than to encourage you to fast, to buy more supplements, to get a colonic, and to keep you stuck in the isolationist lifestyle that is the raw lifestyle.

Well, here is one raw food cult leader that encourages you to not fast, not buy supplements, not get a colonic, and not be stuck in an isolationist lifestyle.

What I encourage all is to be present to your life and how you feel, and don't take my word for any of this, in fact, have your own experience.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: September 10, 2008 12:05PM

Maybe a way to "cure" those people from their mental disorder would be for them to get to the farm and get connected to the earth and how to grow their food instead of buying it and always being worried about where it comes from, when it was picked and so on.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: September 10, 2008 02:09PM

dang have raw foodisim become so powerful that we get this kind of negative publicity. I guess I will keep my mouth shut about what I eat for fear being taged a cult.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 10, 2008 02:12PM

Right. Just as Bryan says. The media is about awareness and education (at best) and NOT so much about explanation, root causes and solutions....which is what we in the experiential health business are ALL about! ha! ha!

-On a show like that....they know...unfortunately...that there are few ways to show and explain the root causes of ANY mental/physical disorder.....and what motivates people. Instead they to an expose on the current fad/tool they are using to destroy themselves. I'm not upset. Be even MORE graceful and supportive of others in response...and this too will pass.

-Most of the documentaries and outside reports that I see on the 'raw food movement' are at best neutral and critical.....and at worst very critical and negative. Of course those that are done by insiders like Storm & Jinjee are quite positive - and rightly so. Meet most of these folks on the inside and I think you'll find them charming and not the least bit....uhh...obsessed or restrictive in their diets....but rather at-ease.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 10, 2008 02:25PM

I agree with Bryan. Why was raw food even mentioned? Also it gave a false impression of raw. For example: being the food preparer for 6 people, my time preparing food was cut by two thirds when we went high raw. The entire article seemed to be anti-raw propaganda. Was it supposed to be raising awareness about an eating disorder? If so it failed. There seemed to be no real substance to it. In this day and age we know eating disorders can not be connected to one specific diet. I was wondering how much the meat and dairy industry paid that guy.

Promoting raw means waging war on meat, dairy, pharmaceuticals and allopathic medicine. We are likely to see a lot more of this propaganda.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 10, 2008 03:59PM

In reference to the 20/20 Show, the title says it all.....
"Healthy Food, Unhealthy Obsession". I don't think John Stossel
was projecting that Raw Food is the culprit, but rather Orthorexia
Nervosa is an eating disorder that could be (but doesn't have to be)
centered around Raw Food. How many Shows could he put together on SAD
eaters with an eating disorder??? It doesn't make for interesting
viewing now, but Raw does.
One only has to look at Johnny Righini to see his problem is Mental,
not Physical.
By the way, I did a little research and found out that
Viktoras Kulvinskas is 69 (2/23/39), and John Stossel is 61
(3/6/47). Vik looked better than I've ever seen him. He admitted
during his interview that he was a little thin from traveling and
not eating 3 meals a day. I thought John Stossel looked 'Soft'.....WY

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: September 10, 2008 04:48PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ariel55 raised my awareness of a new anti-raw
> website: rawfoodcult.com
>
> On their "Get Help" page, they say:Whatever you
> do, avoid seeking help from natural health
> “professionals” who’s singular goal is to make
> money off of your illness. Avoid participating in
> online chat groups or forums for those who
> advocate the raw lifestyle.Examples or such sites
> to avoid include (please do not click the links
> below):
>
> * Give It To Me Raw
> * The Raw Food Forum
> * Raw Food Support
>
> The above sites are run by Raw Food cult leaders
> who would like nothing more than to encourage you
> to fast, to buy more supplements, to get a
> colonic, and to keep you stuck in the isolationist
> lifestyle that is the raw lifestyle.

congratulations to bryan for being promoted to "raw food cult leader" status. i think you should put that on your business card!

your devoted and mindless cult followers await your next instructions, master.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: September 10, 2008 04:58PM

One silver lining in this situation is that we are reminded to be aware of the pros and cons of media interviews. If they have integrity, they will be unbiased and fairly show both sides of the subject.

The other thing most people don't keep in mind is the editing factor. It is their show and even if they spend hours or days interviewing and following you around, in the end they are the ones to choose what to show the public in a segment anywhere from a few minutes to a 60 minute segment based on the slant they want to project. Interestingly, in the goneraw.com forum Johnny said he wasn't even interviewed by Stossel, but by a Sancho person who flew to him. They did invite him to NY to be interviewed by Stossel, but Johnny declined.

A few years ago, someone from a professional association (non-dietary) also did a lengthy interview on govermental policies affecting the public. Like Johnny, when it was aired, it was completely different from the impression they gave her of what they were going to focus on.

Dramatic sensationalism that captivate the audiences to increase ratings to increase revenues means more. Kinda reminds me of synthetic flavoring on artificial foods to excite the taste buds.

Posted by: PocoLoco ()
Date: September 10, 2008 06:40PM

It seems to me that news magazine programs frequently air followup retractions, when people contact them to say that their story was incorrect or misleading in some major way. Not stating that the person had anorexia prior to eating raw is exactly that kind of misleading statement. Maybe if several people contacted 20/20 and objected to the dis-information portrayed in their story, they would air a clarification on a later program. It might be worth a try anyway.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 12, 2008 04:18PM

Thank you for clearing that up Brian.

I have felt all those things that Johnny spoke about at one or two points in my raw food journey.

At one time I didn't want to eat cut fruit because it came in contact with metal.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:29PM

A friend of my mother's saw the show and visited my mother and told her about it.

Now I'm getting the same old "have you eaten today?" (in spite of my huge grocery bills). Just when I thought I was out of the woods.

My mother's friend did leave me a big box of pears from her tree though so I forgive her though.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 12, 2008 06:42PM

maui butterfly:

<<congratulations to bryan for being promoted to "raw food cult leader" status. i think you should put that on your business card!

your devoted and mindless cult followers await your next instructions, master.>>

many people here ARE leaders, maui butterfly

they are leaders by their own examples

leadership is not a four letter word

parents are leaders, and they ought to be

some people who are new to RAW are grateful for leaders that give them a few pointers

people wouldn't be on this board unless some of them wanted some guidance

i am assuming bryan phrased the word " cult" as a way of making fun of what people have made it out to be

if you follow a healthy lifestyle emotionally physically spiritually etc.

people will automatically SEE you as a leader whether or not you announce it

i think bryan IS a leader

he certainly has done a lot for the raw community

one might as well call a spade a spade

people identify themselves constantly by how they pay their bills

i don't see bryan trying to profit off of giving advice

no one has paid him a cent for the advice he has so freely given to anyone

he simply said what it was that he did : he leads

and he helps people in the raw lifestlye

that is what he does

so yes, perhaps that is what he should put on his business card

and i doubt he would be ashamed of calling himself what he is

like a doctor or a lawyer or a scientist

wouldn't be ashamed of putting what they do next to their name

as adults

we are free to do what we choose

or , from time to time, listen to the advice of others and then re orient our own strategies or not

if YOU choose to follow someone "mindlessly" that is YOUR prerogative

if someone ELSE chooses to follow someone else "mindlessly", that is THEIR prerogative

but to be quite honest, if you haven't noticed, most people on this board are constantly questioning, experimenting and doing for themselves

someone who leads is not someone who DEMANDS that others "follow" them "mindlessly"

in case u didn't read what bryan said, he encourages people to think and experience for themselves

that doesn't sound like someone trying to take advantage of others or puff himself up like you insinuated in your post

your post says more about your own issues than it does about bryan

i don't agree with everything that bryan says

but there have been a lot of things he has said that has made me think and ponder

i don't know anything about a lot of subjects

and if i was really interested, i would DEFINETELY be looking for a "leader"

in the community so i could learn from them

not so i could scratch the urge to become a thoughtless robot

but so i could gather compile and discern much desired information

that's what adults do

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: September 12, 2008 07:35PM

la veronique,

i totally agree with all you said about bryan

just as bryan was being fascicious

i assumed maui butterfly was also making a joke

but it could be either way

Date: September 13, 2008 12:20AM

I am pretty certain maui was making a joke building on the one I made. But thanks la_veronique for sharing your sentiments. I am quite touched.

I agree though. If we lead, its not by what we say, but what we do. There is a place of coming into integrity where what we say reflects what we do.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 13, 2008 04:30AM

I think the most important thing to do is to be a leader of oneself

to be in full possession of self and to be ones own ultimate decision maker

only in doing so can one truly appreciate that others go out of their way to "lead"

as adults, i think most of us see that good leaders are simply there to "guide"
and true leaders take great joy in seeing others learn how to "fish" for themselves in their own way and within their own capacity

in peace

la V

Date: September 17, 2008 05:46AM

Here's a Stossel interview where he didn't control the situation as well as he did with Kulvinskas: Wresting is Fake. Ouch!

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: September 17, 2008 06:45AM

Ha Ha

That clip of stossel is funny, normally I would have been shocked, but he deserved it, he is a bully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2008 06:47AM by Ariel55.

Date: September 17, 2008 03:09PM

thanks for shareing that haha Stossel is a bully and got just desert haha

Date: September 17, 2008 04:14PM

I had to laugh when John Stossel got the second open-hand slap.
Did you notice how fast he left the scene? The Wrestler didn't
hit him that hard....just enough to get his attention.....WY

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 17, 2008 04:29PM

That is so funny, I used to love John Stossel until I saw his raw food 20/20.

It was in such bad taste. Isnt he a journalist? Isn't he supposed to be objective?

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: September 17, 2008 05:24PM

LOLH LOLH LOLH (laughing out loud hysterically)

That was too funny. Talk about looking soft.

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: September 17, 2008 09:02PM

Right on!

Roxi baybee.....I know it's hard when loved ones get a bee in their bonnet about your raw lifestyle but there's really nothing you can say that will comfort them....and I agree with Bryan/David in that actions speak louder than words, time will pass and your mother will see that your still in the land of the living.

Better still...bang out a set of one arm chin ups!...ha,ha

F1

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: September 17, 2008 10:13PM

HA HA HA !!!! I'm gonna split my sides laughing. That is so funny.

Posted by: annex ()
Date: September 18, 2008 01:45PM

I just was able to watch the 20/20 segment and almost regretted it because it made me so mad! Stossel was so mean, I can't believe he attacked Viktor's looks - how middle school! But then I watched the wrestling interview and I wasn't mad anymore, but laughed heartily. Maybe Stossel will think I have some unhealthy obsession finding humor in another's humiliation, but that really did make things better for me! Imagine if Viktor had reacted in the same way. hahaha.

Date: September 18, 2008 02:22PM

annex Wrote:
> I just was able to watch the 20/20 segment and
> almost regretted it because it made me so mad!
> Stossel was so mean, I can't believe he attacked
> Viktor's looks - how middle school!
I thought Vik looked good, but someone not
knowing the Raw Food 'look' would say he is too thin.

> But then I
> watched the wrestling interview and I wasn't mad
> anymore, but laughed heartily.
In Stossels Defense....he showed the 'wrestling
clip' on himself for all to see. It was pretty funny though.
I tend to like John Stossel and think his Shows are interesting.......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 18, 2008 05:30PM

i didn't get any joy from watching that second clip. maybe i don't have a sense of humour anymore but that was so base and offensive it wasn't the least bit funny to me. i just felt sorry for both of them. i mean, stossel suffered some minor discomfort to his face and his ego but that other guy has to live with himself every day and so do all the people around him. it was scary and upsetting more than anything else.

Date: September 18, 2008 06:53PM

coco Wrote:
> i didn't get any joy from watching that second
> clip. maybe i don't have a sense of humour anymore
> but that was so base and offensive it wasn't the
> least bit funny to me.
I think you missed the Point. Stossel was telling
the wrestler that his business is 'fake'. The wrestler, in turn,
was showing Stossel that an 'open-hand slap' to the side of the
head isn't as fake as it seems.
Some wrestlers are in great physical shape, but they're on heavy
meat diets, and usually don't live into their 80's......WY

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables